PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Reference Phono Stage

pidge22
24-10-2020, 07:55
* Looking for a reference MC Phono stage
* Solid State or Valve considered
* Needs to be mint & boxed etc
* Would need to be able to collect or meet up (am in Nottm)
* Budget is 3k

Firebottle
24-10-2020, 08:14
Pick yourself an absolute bargain with this:
Bigbottle BB3 phono stage, short term used example, £850

For sale on the Audio Addicts forum.
Don't let the apparently low price put you off, this is a seriously good phono stage that will better anything up to £3k.

Firebottle
24-10-2020, 08:20
Pick yourself an absolute bargain with this:
Bigbottle BB3 phono stage, short term used example, £850

For sale on the Audio Addicts forum.
Don't let the apparently low price put you off, this is a seriously good phono stage that will better anything up to £3k.

I have pm'ed contact details.

Lurch
24-10-2020, 08:27
+1 for the BB, is also available via the WAM.
This is the Builders own personal one so is even higher spec than a standard build.
Had a Mk1 BB here about 18 months ago and it stood its ground against a Tron Seven MM + MFA SUT. The Mk3 is even better and would say from experiencing what the Mk1 did, that the Mk3 would give my current Tron Seven Ultimate (£8k+) some serious competition.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

pidge22
24-10-2020, 09:26
Thanks for the heads up re this but looks like it is sold now...

Andy831
24-10-2020, 09:30
For less than half of your budget you could buy a Longdog Audio MCJ3? Nicks stages are seriously good

alcarmichael
24-10-2020, 09:35
Aurorasound Vida

Andy831
24-10-2020, 09:39
Think there has been one of those for sale on WW recently.

pidge22
24-10-2020, 10:15
Thanks really looking for the likes of Allnic,Whest,Tom Evans,VTL & Aesthetix ETC...

Firebottle
24-10-2020, 12:55
I have a Paradise phono stage available for £2000.

It is a unique one box Paradise with no loss of performance. Trial welcome.

DiveDeepDog
24-10-2020, 14:58
Think there has been one of those for sale on WW recently.

Not any more ;-)

Lurch
24-10-2020, 15:26
Thanks for the heads up re this but looks like it is sold now...It most definitely has [emoji12]

vinylspinner
24-10-2020, 16:24
Another shout for the Longdog Audio MCJ3, this is one excellent phono stage. I would definitely recommend a listen.

Nigel

Bigbird
24-10-2020, 23:27
BB3 all the way. It trounced my Whest.

Absolute bargain at 1250 quid for a new unit . Even at double that price.

It’s seen off a few others in that 2.5-3k price bracket too if what I’ve been told and what we read is true.

It’s built optimally and not for profiteering like a lot of high end Hifi products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pidge22
25-10-2020, 09:33
No longer looking for thanks for the replies...

Firebottle
25-10-2020, 09:39
What have you bought Paul, you can't keep us all hanging like this...

Lurch
25-10-2020, 09:40
Cambridge CP2 [emoji1787][emoji1787]

pidge22
25-10-2020, 09:40
I decided to keep with my Tron Seven Ultimate .....thanks

CageyH
25-10-2020, 09:42
That must mean there is £3k to spend on new vinyl? :cool:

;)

pidge22
25-10-2020, 09:44
That must mean there is £3k to spend on new vinyl? :cool:

;)

Unfortunately not as the Proceeds from selling the Tron seven would have covered its replacement!...

Lurch
25-10-2020, 09:45
Will let you know how a BB3 performs against a Tron Seven Ultimate when I receive Oli's one later in the week, as will put it up against my TSU.

Bigbird
25-10-2020, 10:07
Will let you know how a BB3 performs against a Tron Seven Ultimate when I receive Oli's one later in the week, as will put it up against my TSU.

This will be very interesting indeed and I look forward to hearing about your findings . Please do keep us posted . I have a funny feeling the price difference won’t be the same as the performance difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topoxforddoc
25-10-2020, 12:30
This will be very interesting indeed and I look forward to hearing about your findings . Please do keep us posted . I have a funny feeling the price difference won’t be the same as the performance difference

Like everything, incremental improvements become more costly, once you get beyond a good standard. Oli's phono stage would likely cost significantly more, if he had to market his designs, provide demonstrators to reviewers, and make his living from manufacturing audio electronics. It certainly will be interesting to hear the comparison.

Ubi
25-10-2020, 13:51
Like everything, incremental improvements become more costly, once you get beyond a good standard. Oli's phono stage would likely cost significantly more, if he had to market his designs, provide demonstrators to reviewers, and make his living from manufacturing audio electronics. It certainly will be interesting to hear the comparison.

I can see in your equipment list that you are a big fan of TRON. You must really be a Doctor with all his prices :lol::scratch:

Looking at the pictures of the equipment online reveals a beautiful creation, but i also see how well the Big Bottle is built. It seems he (Ollie) cares a lot about them.

Usually, bespoke items that are hand built and in short quantity are far more expensive than things that are made in bulk. That's how it works in wholesale anyway.

I have been reading a lot about Ollie, Firebottle and I was contemplating a Big Bottle, but a little apprehensive. I think it's a refreshing tale to hear that someone is trying to make a good item that is within reach of the normals.

This comparison is one I will be watching with eagerness. I was leaning toward a TRON convergence...but now I wait.

Floyddroid
25-10-2020, 16:49
I have a Paradise phono stage available for £2000.

It is a unique one box Paradise with no loss of performance. Trial welcome.

Owwwwww muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lurch
08-11-2020, 16:13
I haven't forgotten about this, just waiting for the BB3 to arrive, I had Ollie do some mods (add loading plug sockets & change earth point to banana socket + make a selection of load plugs). Once the new valves have burnt in I will attempt to get my reviewers head on (never written one before) to let you boys know my thoughts.

karma67
08-11-2020, 16:34
Owwwwww muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yep you can buy a proper one for that money and have it delivered and set up in your home :eek::D

The Vinyl Adventure
08-11-2020, 17:42
I am surprised that you all seem to be missing some models when for 3k there is a truly outstanding one available below.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/10/06/lab12-melto2-phono-preamplifier-review/

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2019/06/lab12-melto2-phono-preamplifier-review.html

Even Lee Henley bought one and he is very very picky LOL

Lurch
23-11-2020, 19:16
Well I've had the BB3 in my system for a couple of weeks now, and all I can say is WOW!!! The Tron Seven Ultimate has spent 13. 5 of the last 14 days impersonating a doorstop, let me explain.
A few weeks beforehand I had acquired an early (serial number 1205) Garrard 401 with SME 3009 s2 which I'd fitted with an A&R P77Mg and it was producing a wonderful rich though not as detailed sound as my Bardo/Conqueror/Axia combo via the TSU. A sound I much preferred that made me realise that I had moved too close to that line that exists between musicality and hifi. It was at this point I also realised I wasn't at all happy with my vinyl front end, what I needed was a sound profile halfway between the 401 & Bardo. I then changed arms on the 401, sticking the Conqueror & Axia on it and bingo, I had the sound I wanted. Richness, body AND Detail. At this point I was seriously considering selling the Bardo in favour of the 401.
Move on a few days, Bardo still on the floor and & 401 rehoused in a heavy plinth I'd been given instead of the hollow lightweight 60s plinth it came with, when the BB3 arrived. I did an a/B against the TSU for a couple of hours then decided the Bardo needed another chance given the sound signature the BB was giving out.
I put the Conqueror back on the Bardo and fired it all back up, and damn, there it was, the sound I was looking for.
The BB redeemed the Bardo, changing the decks sound sognature to one with air, space, body, detail and richness. Bere in mind also that this is what the BB did with new valves and only a few hours on the clock. I did put the TSU back in but it only stayed in the system for 3 tracks before becoming an expensive doorstop.
Don't get me wrong the TSU is a fantastic phonostage, but the BB3 in my system and to my ears gives me the sound signature I've been chasing, though I didn't really know what I wanted until I heard it.
The BB3 is now fully beded in and sounding absolutely fantastic, better than it did initially, and I didn't think that was possible.
So when I get round to it the will be a newly serviced (by GT) 2018 SPEC, TSU in the classifieds.

As for the 401 it's now been fitted with an RB250 and the P77Mg and is doing Stirling service in my 2nd system, so will also be selling the 3009 s2.

pidge22
23-11-2020, 19:43
Thanks for the feedback very interesting would love to hear a BB3 in my system one day...for myself I have now got my Tron Seven Ultimate back from GT serviced & with new valves...with my LP12/Karousel/Keel/Radikal/Aro & newly fitted Kandid fitted by Peter Swain it sound absolutely wonderfull...