PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use an "Audiophile" ADSL cable?

DarrenHW
17-10-2020, 18:22
Having been impressed by the improvement in streaming quality by installing Supra Cat8 patch leads, I'm interested in what, if any, benefit an upgraded ADSL RJ11 cable would offer. I've ordered some RJ11 plugs to knock up my own Cat 6 cable and flushed with excitement, I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience with "upgraded" ADSL cables?

chartz
17-10-2020, 20:20
Those are scams. Trade person speaking.

Stratmangler
17-10-2020, 21:35
Cat6 cables have 4 pairs of conductors.
RJ11 plugs can cope with 3 pairs maximum.
ADSL connection uses just 1 pair of conductors.

Give it a rest Darren.
It'll make sod all difference.
As it's ADSL cable you mentioned, organise the telephone cabling appropriately and things will run to the best of their potential.

Since you mentioned Cat8 patch cables, how do you measure the "improvement"?

DarrenHW
18-10-2020, 07:25
Cat6 cables have 4 pairs of conductors.
RJ11 plugs can cope with 3 pairs maximum.
ADSL connection uses just 1 pair of conductors.

I am aware of that, the cable would be constructed the same way i.e. 1 pair, just using Cat 6. The "theory" being that solid core is better than multi-strand.

Give it a rest Darren.
It'll make sod all difference.
As it's ADSL cable you mentioned, organise the telephone cabling appropriately and things will run to the best of their potential.

That's really what I'm expecting, but at £1.85 for a pack of 20 plugs it's an experiment too cheap not to try.

Since you mentioned Cat8 patch cables, how do you measure the "improvement"?

Only with my eyes and ears. I've replaced the lead between my BT Router (essentially acting as a modem) to my TP Link Archer C9 and then from the TP Link to the Panny and Xbox. At each stage I've noticed a reduction in noise and subsequent improvement in clarity, depth, colour and perceived detail. I'll be the first to acknowledge that this is not quantifiable in any way and due to the nature of streaming offers no reliable or repeatable testing method, so this is purely my opinion having had the last pair of leads in my system for a week.

I was sceptical to say the least about the benefit a patch lead could offer so I've picked up the cables second hand, which also has the benefit of them already being burnt in (where's the tongue in cheek emoji??).

Filterlab
18-10-2020, 09:27
Save ya money mate, it'll make not a jot of difference.

Stratmangler
18-10-2020, 09:54
I am aware of that, the cable would be constructed the same way i.e. 1 pair, just using Cat 6. The "theory" being that solid core is better than multi-strand.

That's really what I'm expecting, but at £1.85 for a pack of 20 plugs it's an experiment too cheap not to try.

Only with my eyes and ears. I've replaced the lead between my BT Router (essentially acting as a modem) to my TP Link Archer C9 and then from the TP Link to the Panny and Xbox. At each stage I've noticed a reduction in noise and subsequent improvement in clarity, depth, colour and perceived detail. I'll be the first to acknowledge that this is not quantifiable in any way and due to the nature of streaming offers no reliable or repeatable testing method, so this is purely my opinion having had the last pair of leads in my system for a week.

I was sceptical to say the least about the benefit a patch lead could offer so I've picked up the cables second hand, which also has the benefit of them already being burnt in (where's the tongue in cheek emoji??).

You should read this Darren.

Following on from Chris's (and others) comments, I spend about £15 on Cat 6 UTP cable and 10 large ferrite chokes, mostly now fitted. I had already installed loads of smaller ones.
Very surprised about the result and it took some time to assimilate in my old brain. The initial impression was that I had lost the ambience in the recording, by that I mean the echo quality-well, you know what I mean. This had been present in most music, from stored digital or high quality internet radio, but was mostly absent now.
I realised though that the quality of the reproduction was better in other respects- vocals had more presence, there was a crispness to the sound and a better sense of where instruments were positioned including depth.
So the ambience that I had enjoyed for years is, by enlarge, not supposed to be there? At the moment, apart from feeling slightly stupid, I think that I have gained from the accuracy of reproduction but lost an old friend in the artifical ambience.

As you will not have properly grounded the screens on the ethernet patch cables you use, you are putting aerials into your setup, and you're enjoying the delights of introducing RFI into the system.
You're adding stuff I've been trying to remove for quite a bit.

DarrenHW
18-10-2020, 11:45
Save ya money mate, it'll make not a jot of difference.

The same has been said of USB cables, I take it from the one listed in your sig, you decided to find out for yourself and were happy with the results. I'm not trying to be a smart arse, but you haven't said I've tried X,Y,Z and here are my findings, you've simply made a judgement without experimentation or background, just like the "USB Cables Make No Difference" threads that used to be so prevalent :) Anyway it's too late, I've already spent the £1.85 required to build the cable.

DarrenHW
18-10-2020, 11:45
You should read this Darren.

Do you have a link to the thread please?

Stratmangler
18-10-2020, 11:49
https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?70540-Do-speaker-interconnect-cables-improve-soundstage

Stratmangler
18-10-2020, 11:51
The same has been said of USB cables, I take it from the one listed in your sig, you decided to find out for yourself and were happy with the results. I'm not trying to be a smart arse, but you haven't said I've tried X,Y,Z and here are my findings, you've simply made a judgement without experimentation or background, just like the "USB Cables Make No Difference" threads that used to be so prevalent :) Anyway it's too late, I've already spent the £1.85 required to build the cable.

Have you got a crimper for the plugs?

Filterlab
18-10-2020, 15:43

I did try the USB cable, and it made not a single sod of difference. :lol: But since I’ve bought it I may as well use it.

And you can lose the attitude too. At what point did I say I hadn’t tried a heavier ADSL cable, hmm? I advised not to bother, which were my exact findings too - a complete waste of time. You asked for advice, but when the answer opposes what you want to do, you get all huffy with your answer. Weird.

DarrenHW
18-10-2020, 15:55
Have you got a crimper for the plugs?

I do. I spent most of the noughties in the provision, installation and remediation of DSL, LAN & WAN. I'm not in the industry anymore, but I still have the kit, I get sentimentally attached to my tools.

Thanks for the link.