PDA

View Full Version : Transparent Telly

Ali Tait
16-10-2020, 10:00
Check this out-

https://blog.mi.com/en/2020/08/11/turning-moment-for-tv-industry-xiaomi-unveils-mi-tv-lux-oled-transparent-edition/

walpurgis
16-10-2020, 10:13
I don't think regular TV programmes would look right on that unless the entire screen became opaque in use and then there'd be no point in it being transparent.

It may have use for displays though. If you had two and put one screen behind the other, with suitable material you could try some sort of 3D, but then parallax would be an issue.

struth
16-10-2020, 10:27
not sure i see the point:lol:

Swann36
16-10-2020, 12:11
Looks like something for an uber modernist minimalist house to me

Macca
16-10-2020, 12:48
Plenty of them around these days.

Pharos
16-10-2020, 13:48
Actually, whilst I tend to shun 'new trendy innovations', I can see a point to this in my situation.

My Hi-Fi and TV, 55" are in front of a large 60s low level silled window. and I have always considered loss of light as well as view restriction. If I increased my TV size to facilitate usage as a computer and remote streamer 'window', reading from 10 or so feet, I would lose much less vision of outside and also light coming in.

Filterlab
16-10-2020, 17:04
Alternatively, you could move your current tv away from the window. :D

DarrenHW
16-10-2020, 17:35
That's some proper Sci-Fi chic! How long before cars come with transparent OLED windscreens??

Ali Tait
16-10-2020, 18:34
Well that was my thought, it’s something only ever seen in SF movies before. I can see the point that it will be much less imposing when switched off than current tellies, which do rather dominate today’s living rooms.

Pharos
16-10-2020, 22:01
Alternatively, you could move your current tv away from the window. :D

Of course, but the setup is almost ideal as it is in every other respect.

Pharos
16-10-2020, 22:03
Well that was my thought, it’s something only ever seen in SF movies before. I can see the point that it will be much less imposing when switched off than current tellies, which do rather dominate today’s living rooms.

But weren't they a much more vulgar imposition when CRT?

Ali Tait
16-10-2020, 22:27
What’s your point?

Filterlab
17-10-2020, 12:12
Of course, but the setup is almost ideal as it is in every other respect.

Same here I have to say, and of course placing a TV anywhere opposing a window means watching it with a permanent reflection. My TV is covering a tiny part of one window, although the expansive windows are high in the room so it's not a bother at all, although I'm just about to upgrade to a 75" so I'm sure it'll cover a lot more, but there's still plenty of light.

DarrenHW
17-10-2020, 17:55

Maybe it's the SF influence that appeals to us. Equip an office with this type of display and you have the Command Centre / Bridge of (insert your favourite SF reference here...). Combine that with gesture / voice control, face recognition / biometrics and your modern day office would look like celluloid SF from as little as 10 years ago.

walpurgis
17-10-2020, 17:58
Maybe it's the SF influence that appeals to us. Equip an office with this type of display and you have the Command Centre / Bridge of (insert your favourite SF reference here...).

Well it won't be Blake's 7. Theirs was made from cardboard.

struth
17-10-2020, 18:01
as 95% of tvs are next to a wall im not sure there is much of a market for them in this country.

Macca
17-10-2020, 18:04
Well it won't be Blake's 7. Theirs was made from cardboard.

That was why The Liberator was the fastest ship in the galaxy. Weight saving.

Marco
17-10-2020, 18:56
I LOVE it, and would have one in shot! Simply because, as has been mentioned, a big black piece of plastic in your room (which is what a flat-screen TV is when not used) stuck on your wall is as ugly as sin, especially in an old house like ours...

Something clear, like glass, would 'disappear' in the room and therefore be much less intrusive... So, for me, bring it on!:)

Marco.

Macca
17-10-2020, 19:00
I LOVE it, and would have one in shot! Simply because, as has been mentioned, a big black piece of plastic in your room (which is what a flat-screen TV is when not used) stuck on your wall is as ugly as sin, especially in an old house like ours...

Something clear, like glass, would 'disappear' in the room and therefore be much less intrusive... So, for me, bring it on!:)

Marco.

You can get tellies that look like a painting when in standby. Seen it on that Phil and Kirstie thing.

Marco
17-10-2020, 19:24
Yeah, that'd be quite cool, as long as you liked the painting;)

Marco.

walpurgis
17-10-2020, 19:32
You can get tellies that look like a painting when in standby. Seen it on that Phil and Kirstie thing.

I've got a painting of a telly :).

Macca
17-10-2020, 19:54
I think you can choose whatever you want.

Just dial in The Hay Wain and hey presto, your rustic ambience is preserved.

Macca
17-10-2020, 19:57
I've got a painting of a telly :).

Pollocks.

Pharos
17-10-2020, 21:47
What’s your point?

I thought that my point was implicit and clear.

Pharos
17-10-2020, 21:50

Marco.

Absolutely agree, hence my point bout CRTs which were very three dimensional and hence imposing.

Gazjam
18-10-2020, 08:10
That was why The Liberator was the fastest ship in the galaxy. Weight saving.

:thumbsup:
Thanks Martin for the morning grin with my coffee.

Gazjam
18-10-2020, 08:15
I’d have one down the line, but picture quality would always be the main factor.

Contrast ratio’s, visual ‘pop’ n stuff, not sure how transparent panel would fare against an ‘off’ jet black background?
Would you end up putting a black background behind it just for movie watching?

Crackin’ bit of Tech though, maybe more suited for Corporate environments?

Macca
18-10-2020, 08:20
:thumbsup:
Thanks Martin for the morning grin with my coffee.

I do the best I can with the material to hand. Just like the 1970s BBC set designers.

Filterlab
18-10-2020, 09:31

Samsung Frame. Been around for a few years now. In standby they present one from a choice of images, but the lighting and contrast levels match the room so the tv looks like a painting. Clever stuff, but a lot of money for what they are.

Ali Tait
18-10-2020, 09:35
Absolutely agree, hence my point bout CRTs which were very three dimensional and hence imposing.

Which was exactly my point about large black flatscreens..

struth
18-10-2020, 09:40
i just run a youtube photo selection or an aquarium if i want something on...like now actually..

walpurgis
18-10-2020, 09:43
i just run a youtube photo selection or an aquarium if i want something on...like now actually..

I had an animated aquarium desktop wallpaper on my last PC and thought it was great (might look for another :)).

Ali Tait
18-10-2020, 09:49
Used a log fire one before from yootoob.

struth
18-10-2020, 09:59
I like these galleons pics they stay on for a good time each too, plus no musichttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201018/5ae04d8e39aac7d0f27aac552f491149.jpg

Gazjam
18-10-2020, 10:15
Like the artwork screensaver Grant, on YouTube is it?
Got a link?

Usually a bit of this in the evening here, not too bad as nightlights go.

https://youtu.be/Xb-H8yIVocI

struth
18-10-2020, 10:29
https://youtu.be/3Tu-apGzyjc

another here i think... https://youtu.be/GM8rNyg6Igw

struth
18-10-2020, 10:32
this one too.. https://youtu.be/f28yQzeS-bI

https://youtu.be/f28yQzeS-bI

just about to have cullen skink in 3d :eyebrows:

Gazjam
18-10-2020, 10:55
Smells fishy.

this one too.. https://youtu.be/f28yQzeS-bI

https://youtu.be/f28yQzeS-bI

just about to have cullen skink in 3d :eyebrows:

struth
18-10-2020, 10:57
Smells fishy.

yes, but in 3d smellovision :D

Filterlab
18-10-2020, 11:03
yes, but in 3d smellovision :D

:lol:

What will they think of next?! :D

Macca
18-10-2020, 11:13
:lol:

What will they think of next?! :D

They just need to start making some good TV shows again so there's something worth watching on the bloody things and then we'd be sorted :D

Filterlab
18-10-2020, 11:26
They just need to start making some good TV shows again so there's something worth watching on the bloody things and then we'd be sorted :D

Darn right sir! :D

I gave up on broadcast TV back in 2014, and I'm so glad I did. I use purely Netflix and Amazon now, but I do struggle to find decent content in amongst their offerings I have to say. Most of it is shite.

struth
18-10-2020, 11:32

I gave up on broadcast TV back in 2014, and I'm so glad I did. I use purely Netflix and Amazon now, but I do struggle to find decent content in amongst their offerings I have to say. Most of it is shite.

me too.. never missed it. ive plenty films and good shows of my own. probably close to 1000 of different stuff on various forms. hd, dvd, bluray, online purchases etc.

Macca
18-10-2020, 11:46

Yes I've got Amazon Prime which is £70 a year but struggle to find anything worthwhile on it except 'The Grand Tour' and that's not great.

I fancied watching 'The Larry Sanders Show' again so searched for it on Prime and they have it! But you have to pay extra. Just takes the piss.

Checked out Netflix and they also have very little worth bothering with. I don't think they make telly for people like me anymore; very little anyway.

walpurgis
18-10-2020, 12:00
I stick with Freeview 'coz I'm a tight git. :lol:

struth
18-10-2020, 12:28
i get amazon prime and netflix free off the kids :D

Filterlab
18-10-2020, 13:32
Yes I've got Amazon Prime which is £70 a year but struggle to find anything worthwhile on it except 'The Grand Tour' and that's not great.

The Grand Tour is the best thing on there!

I actually got Prime to obtain the free delivery on items as I order around £24,000 worth of items for business each year. I have deliveries pretty much every day, and on each one of those I'm saving £3.00-£5.00. Soon makes the price of Prime worth it, and then there's all the movies stuff too which is a bonus.

Pharos
18-10-2020, 13:52
I stick with Freeview 'coz I'm a tight git. :lol:

Years of poverty and scrupulous painstaking care have embedded in me to the extent that I will not pay for extras, and I resent very much the TV licence for such appalling crap and loads of rich non-event 'celebrities'.

So I record the very few gems, and revisit them hoping to discover more and learn.

Filterlab
18-10-2020, 14:23
...I resent very much the TV licence for such appalling crap and loads of rich non-event 'celebrities'...

Me too, which is why I don't pay for one. Utter waste of money. I have nothing whatsoever to do with the BBC; all their content is appalling, their radio is rubbish and their political stance is pure apologies for everything. Garbage.

A poll taken recently showed that only 4% of people think the BBC is worth the licence fee. Scrap it and leave them to become a subscription service, they'd then be forced to make decent output rather than sitting on their fat, overpaid duffs and eating out on the licence payer's expense.

Macca
18-10-2020, 14:48
I think the BBC's mission changed from 'Entertain, educate and inform' to 'Lets try to make the worst TV show ever.'

And after many gallant attempts they finally succeeded with 'Inside The Factory.' The most boring shite imaginable, presented in sub 'Blue Peter Special' style by possibly the most irritating people on the planet.

And I hate the way that when they do get a half-decent show, which you've got to figure is only by sheer blind luck, they flog it to death, and then on beyond death e.g Fools and Horses, Royal Family, Red Dwarf.

It's just a gravy train for politically-correct mediocrities. I'm all for having a public service broadcaster but I'd sack the lot and start again from scratch with a new Charter that's a lot more specific about how they can spend the money. Caps on the presenters' salaries for a start.

struth
18-10-2020, 14:53
yes i cancelled after being told by the payments guy i didnt need a licence due to never watching live tv. i get a letter/email every 2 years asking to confirm my status.

i rarely use the prime tv stuff thats free, and occasionally the netflix. mostly watch stuff i bought from the likes of amazon(Ive over 500 titles on amazon alone). i buy mostly when they have a sale on. got a few at 2.99 and 3.99 recently. thats really the rental price and are films i will watch numerous times, as is my way.
if im gonna have repeats, then they will by my repeats. ive also got a few titles on dvd :eyebrows: and a fair few now on bluray/4k etc. including most of Attenbououghs output which i love. its a bit like a holiday for me to see all these exotics

Pharos
18-10-2020, 21:48
I know many people who are just refusing to pay for the licence, and also many over 75s who say they're prepared to go to prison for non payment.

What is particularly irksome for me is that with my new HD PVR, I can only get the more obscure stations, and which generally offer more interesting stuff on of occasions, when the weather is of a high pressure spot. This evening all I could get was BBC1, 2, ITV, and BBC4, most of it crap, and from those who are demanding by law, payment of a licence fee.

Gazjam
18-10-2020, 22:05
Outdated Model...can’t threaten reasonable thinking people with this much longer.
Ford Transit’s parked outside your home “picking up signals”?

What?

Happily...
been unable to pick up any of the Broadcast Signals for a few years now, pretty much since I leaned of Saville ‘n such.
The BBC knew.

They knew.

Jac Hawk
19-10-2020, 09:44
Just noticed this thread, these transparent screens have been around for a number of years now, the problem with them is that you need to have a light source behind them so you can see the picture, they use them as advertising screens on glass fronted fridges and they work well in that environment due to the fridge being white inside and well lit, for home use they just don't work