PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Sony X-800, HELLO Panasonic DP-UB820!

Marco
04-10-2020, 15:00
So, for whatever reason, My Sony Bluray player decided to 'die' last night - just all of a sudden shut down, after I'd been playing some CDs. Checked everything I could, including the plug fuse, all to no avail... I will try and have it repaired, and if successful, will use it in the bedroom.

However, I don't want that bollox to delay my enjoyment of movies in the meantime, especially with the winter nights fast approaching, so have pulled the trigger on one of these babies:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/RQOL4o.jpg

Full details here: https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/home-entertainment/blu-ray-and-dvd/dp-ub820eb.html

Should also be a nice little upgrade with it supporting Dolby Atmos (along with HDR10+ and Dolby Vision), plus the picture quality/colour processing [with its HCX] is supposed to be a bit special on these players. Therefore I'll be looking forward to seeing what imporvements it brings over the departing Sony player, on my Sony 4K HDR TV! The user interface on the Panasonic also seems nicely intuitive.

Full review when it arrives:cool:

Marco.

struth
04-10-2020, 15:22
similar to the one i have.. very good pictures

Marco
04-10-2020, 15:28
Nice one, mate. I intend on taking full advantage of both its sound and vision potential. I already have the TV [although at some point it'll be getting upgraded to an OLED], just need to upgrade my AV amp to one that's compatible with Dolby Atmos, once I research the best options, but it'll likely be another Denon, then I'll really be cooking with gas!:)

What's the user interface like? Looks nice and easy/clear to me. Also, some say the loading time for discs is a bit long in comparison with other players - how do you find that aspect of its performance?

Marco.

Macca
04-10-2020, 15:29
You'll need some more speakers for Dolby Atmos too.

struth
04-10-2020, 15:33
mine is pretty good speed wise. about same as the oppo. it is the older 450 which was about £250, but is a lot less now. i got it for free actually to review..;lol

mine has Dolby Vision on top of HDR10+ and HLG.but no atmos

DarrenHW
04-10-2020, 15:39
Great picture, spoilt by an archaic UI, lack of apps and support from Panasonic. Here's my opinion: https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?70876-Fade-Away-and-Radiate&p=1225243#post1225243

That said, I don't know what else would better it.

Marco
04-10-2020, 15:45
Great picture, spoilt by an archaic UI, lack of apps and support from Panasonic. Here's my opinion: https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?70876-Fade-Away-and-Radiate&p=1225243#post1225243

That said, I don't know what else would better it.

Lol - cheers, mate. I'll have a read. Apps don't bother me, as I never use them, and for me the UI looked ok. As long as its easy to use, reliable and idiot proof, it'll do for me! It doesn't have to 'look sexy'.

The priority was getting the best player I could for the same cost as the outgoing Sony, which excels at both picture and sound quality, so I think it'll tick those boxes nicely:cool:

Marco.

Marco
04-10-2020, 15:46
You'll need some more speakers for Dolby Atmos too.

Yeah, I'll deal with that one in due course... One step at a time, my boy!:D

Marco.

Marco
04-10-2020, 15:47
mine is pretty good speed wise. about same as the oppo. it is the older 450 which was about £250, but is a lot less now. i got it for free actually to review..;lol

mine has Dolby Vision on top of HDR10+ and HLG.but no atmos

Cool beans, mate, and good to know:)

Marco.

Marco
04-10-2020, 15:57
The other thing I liked about the Panny, being a mains cable guy, is that unlike the Sony it doesn't come with a shitty captive 'licorice stick', posing as a mains cable, and at least has a decent fig-8 connection, thereby facilitating the use of something 'propa'...

Therefore, I've just ordered one of these from Mark Grant, as I have his DSP 2.5s installed on all the other components: https://www.markgrantcables.co.uk/uk/mains-power/mark-grant-dsp-10-dual-screened-power-cable-figure-8-connector/?attribute_pa_length=12-1metre

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/HyfHRl.jpg

His cables are always very well-made and offer great VFM, plus he's a top bloke!:cool:

Marco.

Marco
04-10-2020, 16:17

Good, honest and informative review, Darren. As I've said though, apps are a non-issue for me, as they're rarely used, if ever, as I get all the streamed/On Demand movie content I need from Sky and Virgin Movies (via my Virgin subscription), plus also Google play, so the Panny will be used solely to play discs, both music and movie related.

One of its primary functions, therefore, will also be to act as a CD transport for my Beresford DAC, and to play my SACD discs. In that respect, I note that it has a Toslink, not coaxial, connection to facilitate that, so will be investing in a decent optical cable for that purpose.

The only thing that would concern me is the noise. Is it really *THAT* bad? I've not seen it mentioned on any other online reviews, so that's strange considering how intrusive you've said it is...:hmm:

Granty, how noisy is yours - and can you hear the fan in a notably annoying way?:)

Marco.

DarrenHW
04-10-2020, 17:06
No, it's not really that noisy hence the sarcmark, but it's far from silent.

I didn't think it had SACD support, I thought you had to triple the price for that (and apparently decent build quality) to the UB9000?

EDIT: It doesn't SACD or DVD-A.

Marco
04-10-2020, 17:21
Soz, my boob - I thought I read somewhere it did. Not to worry, I don't have that many such discs anyway!:)

Glad to hear that the noise isn't that bad. I'll let you know what I think. Hopefully the music or movie sound effects will drown it out:D

Superb build quality, whilst normally important to me, isn't a big issue at this price level. As long as it's adequately built and reliable, that's fine. Clearly, build quality is where costs have been cut, and also perhaps in terms of the UI, with most of the budget having been spent on optimising the audio and visual side.

I'd rather it that way round than the other... Let's face it, if it were built as well as the OPPO and had a top-notch UI, along with its existing areas of high performance, it wouldn't be selling for £299!;)

Marco.

DarrenHW
04-10-2020, 17:48
Granted, I'll stop banging on about it.

I just wish there was a middle ground. I also only have a handful of SACD/DVD-A's and no desire to analogue out so there was no justification for me to go for the UB9000 and when you compare it with Oppo's offerings and price point I don't think it justifies it's price tag. I suppose I really just have to get over the fact the Oppo's no longer in the market :(

Either way, I'm very impressed with the picture it sends to my projector, I'm sure you'll be happy with it in your system too. Just don't look at it, touch it, or get too close to it's whilst it's playing without ear protection.

Oh yeah, the remote's bloody horrible too.

I'll get my coat...

Marco
04-10-2020, 18:13
:lolsign:

And I bet it doesn't even give a decent blowjob?:eek::D

Nah... You know the set-up in my lounge, it'll tucked away in a dark corner of my rack, out of sight and out of mind, just doin' its bad-ass thang.

Marco.

DarrenHW
04-10-2020, 18:30
And I bet it doesn't even give a decent blowjob?:eek::D

:hmm: I'll get back to you...

DarrenHW
04-10-2020, 18:50
Sub-par and now it's not bloody working! Is this what happened to your Sony? :D

Marco
04-10-2020, 19:19
I don't think it liked what I tried to slip into its drawer:uhho:

Marco.

Gazjam
04-10-2020, 20:44
Happy your happy Amigo.
Enjoy :)

Marco
04-10-2020, 21:14
Lol - I was forced into this move, mate, simply because the Sony packed in. I wasn't planning on buying a new Bluray player this year! But... It may turn out to be a pleasantly unexpected upgrade:D

Marco.

DarrenHW
08-10-2020, 17:03
Has it landed yet?

Marco
10-10-2020, 13:27
Lol yes, it arrived within two days, but I wanted to wait until I'd received the new mains lead from Mark Grant, as I hate powering these things down once they've been set up, so only wanted to power it up once and leave it there!

And... The bloody post's been a nightmare here. It's taken nearly a week for the cable to arrive today from Mark, sent by 1st class post!!:doh: Are you finding the post slow where you are at the moment?

Anyway, I've just set it up and.... It's SUPERB! In terms of the claimed noise, sorry mate, I can't hear anything! Was yours faulty?:hmm: Honestly, it's silent. However, the picture and sound quality is superb, and a notable upgrade on the departed Sony, which itself was none too shabby!

More later...

However, one thing I haven't sussed yet, although admittedly I haven't tried very hard, is to get the Panny to 'see' my Beresford DAC, when playing CDs, as it automatically defaults to its internal one. The Beresford is connected correctly, via a Toslink cable, from the output on the back of the Panny, to one of its optical inputs, so all seems ok there.

When I had the Sony player, I simply switched inputs on my Sony AV amp (to 'Video 1'), which the DAC is connected to via its analogue outputs, and that would kick in the Beresford, but I'm currently getting nothing via that input:hmm:

Any suggestions?

Marco.

DarrenHW
13-10-2020, 17:34
Sorry, I've only just seen this.

Lol yes, it arrived within two days, but I wanted to wait until I'd received the new mains lead from Mark Grant, as I hate powering these things down once they've been set up, so only wanted to power it up once and leave it there!

And... The bloody post's been a nightmare here. It's taken nearly a week for the cable to arrive today from Mark, sent by 1st class post!!:doh: Are you finding the post slow where you are at the moment?

Yes, Royal Mail deliveries are atrocious ATM, they're almost as bad as Amazon!

Anyway, I've just set it up and.... It's SUPERB! In terms of the claimed noise, sorry mate, I can't hear anything! Was yours faulty?:hmm: Honestly, it's silent. However, the picture and sound quality is superb, and a notable upgrade on the departed Sony, which itself was none too shabby!

I'll have to check yours out, mine is far from silent.

More later...

However, one thing I haven't sussed yet, although admittedly I haven't tried very hard, is to get the Panny to 'see' my Beresford DAC, when playing CDs, as it automatically defaults to its internal one. The Beresford is connected correctly, via a Toslink cable, from the output on the back of the Panny, to one of its optical inputs, so all seems ok there.

When I had the Sony player, I simply switched inputs on my Sony AV amp (to 'Video 1'), which the DAC is connected to via its analogue outputs, and that would kick in the Beresford, but I'm currently getting nothing via that input:hmm:

Any suggestions?

Marco.

You may have turn to turn HDMI Audio off to get Optical output.

Setting - Player Setting - HDMI - Audio Output.

Marco
13-10-2020, 17:48
Sorry, I've only just seen this.

Yes, Royal Mail deliveries are atrocious ATM, they're almost as bad as Amazon!

I'll have to check yours out, mine is far from silent.

You may have turn to turn HDMI Audio off to get Optical output.

Setting - Player Setting - HDMI - Audio Output.

Hi matey,

No worries, I knew you'd be busy. Mine is defo silent, or certainly not noisy in any way as to be intrusive, therefore don't know if they've improved that aspect of their design in the current models. So defo pop round and have a listen - anytime!:)

I'm still struggling to get sound from the DAC, so will try what you've suggested. What's pissing me off more though, and I've tried every setting I can think of to eliminate it, is when playing CDs, the sound insists on outputting through the centre speaker and surrounds in 'cinema' mode.

I can't seem to get 2-channel stereo for the life of me!:doh:

Btw, just to clarify... I've connected up this player the same way as I did the Sony (although this time using an optical as opposed to a coaxial digital cable), and so have an optical cable running from the back of the player to one of the optical inputs on the DAC, then from there the signal leaves the analogue outputs, via a pair of analogue interconnects, into the appropriate input on the back of my Sony amp (same input as before with the Sony).

HDMI connections are exactly as before with the Sony, and with that I had no problems playing CDs in stereo.

So a any ideas why I'm on permanent surround sound mode?:hmm:

Marco.

Macca
13-10-2020, 18:16
does the Sony amp also have a DAC? I thought you had a Denon AVR?

Anyway whatever make it is it seems to be taking your analogue signal and running it through its own DAC.

DarrenHW
13-10-2020, 18:18
Settings - Player Settings - HDMI - Advanced Setting - 7.1ch Auto Reformatting - Set to Off.

Settings - Player Settings - Sound - Downmix - Set to Stereo.

Do you know what the maximum supported sample rate is of the Beresford? I think Optical down sampling is set to 192kHz but can be adjusted in Player Settings - Sound - Optical Down Sampling.

DarrenHW
13-10-2020, 18:20

Anyway whatever make it is it seems to be taking your analogue signal and running it through its own DAC.

A good point! Are you outputting PCM or Bitstream?

Settings - Sound - Digital Audio Output.

Marco
13-10-2020, 18:44

Yes, the Denon amp (sorry, did I mistakenly say Sony?) has its own DAC.

However, when I had the previous Sony Bluray player, connected up the same way, all I did to activate the Beresford was switch inputs on the amp to 'Video 1', which the analogue cables from the DAC are plugged into on the back of the amp, and that kicked in the DAC, so that the sound outputted from that, as opposed to the Denon's built-in one.

However, when I do that now, with the Panny in the equation, I get no sound at all. Therefore, I reckon it's to do with the settings on the Panny Darren has mentioned.

Marco.

Marco
13-10-2020, 18:48
Settings - Player Settings - HDMI - Advanced Setting - 7.1ch Auto Reformatting - Set to Off.

Do you know what the maximum supported sample rate is of the Beresford? I think Optical down sampling is set to 192kHz but can be adjusted in Player Settings - Sound - Optical Down Sampling.

Hi mate, in terms of this and your other post (thanks for that), I won't be able to say what the current settings are, and try yours instead, until Del's finished watching TV and goes to bed, so will report back later:)

Marco.

Macca
13-10-2020, 18:53
Yes, the Denon amp (sorry, did I mistakenly say Sony?) has its own DAC.

However, when I had the previous Sony Bluray player, connected up the same way, all I did to activate the Beresford was switch inputs on the amp to 'Video 1', which the analogue cables from the DAC are plugged into on the back of the amp, and that kicked in the DAC, so that the sound outputted from that, as opposed to the Denon's built-in one.

However, when I do that now, with the Panny in the equation, I get no sound at all. Therefore, I reckon it's to do with the settings on the Panny Darren has mentioned.

Marco.

Yes, has to be.

Macca
13-10-2020, 19:06
Are you sure that the 'Video 1' input stays analogue all the way through the amp though?

Marco
13-10-2020, 19:07
A good point! Are you outputting PCM or Bitstream?

Settings - Sound - Digital Audio Output.

Just to clarify this, Darren, what should I be outputting, in order to achieve what I want, PCM or Bitstream?:)

Marco.

Marco
13-10-2020, 19:09
Are you sure that the 'Video 1' input stays analogue all the way through the amp though?

Dunno mate, but why would it work that way with the Sony and not with this player?

When I swapped out the Sony, I replicated all the previous connections, save the fact that this time an optical cable was used to connect the Beresford, rather than a coaxial one.

Marco.

Macca
13-10-2020, 19:19
Dunno mate, but why would it work that way with the Sony and not with this player?

When I swapped out the Sony, I replicated all the previous connections, save the fact that this time an optical cable was used to connect the Beresford, rather than a coaxial one.

Marco.

Nothing to do with the issue, just thinking that you might be doing digital to analogue conversion twice, i.e the Beresford is redundant. Or is there a 'pure direct' setting?

You want to set the output to '2 channel PCM' btw

Marco
13-10-2020, 19:26
Cheers, from memory I think the options are 'Automatic', 'PCM' or 'Bitstream', so PCM then?

Dunno about doubling the DTA conversion. There is a 'Pure Direct' setting on the Denon amp, but that simply defeats the tone controls and switches off the front display.

Remember also that I only want to use the Beresford when playing CDs in 2-channel stereo - nothing else. In any other mode, while watching movies, etc, I want to use the DAC built into the Denon.

Marco.

Macca
13-10-2020, 19:58
Yes I understand the Beresford is music only but with a lot of these AVRs all the analogue inputs are digitized, even the phono, if it has one.

What model Denon is it?

Marco
13-10-2020, 20:08
Lol - you know I'm losing the plot tonight with this Sony/Denon thing!:doh::lol:

It's a bloody Sony AV amp I've got. This one, mate: https://www.whathifi.com/us/sony/str-dn1050/review

Marco.

Marco
13-10-2020, 23:01

Ok, I've tried everything you've said and I still can't hear CDs in stereo - the sound always comes through the centre and surround speakers... So, just to tell you the settings that are currently activated.

On the 'HDMI' setting, it is as follows:

Video Format - Automatic
4K(50p/60p) Output - 4K(50p/60p) 4:2:0
24p Output - Automatic
HDMI(VIDEO) Output Mode: Automatic
HDMI(AUDIO) Output Mode: Audio Only
Dolby Vision Setting: On
HDR10+ Setting: On

Advance Settings (skipping past the visual stuff):

No idea what 'HDCP Output Setting' is, but that's set to Automatic. Then the following applies:

Contents Type Flag: Automatic
Audio Output: On
7.1ch Audio Reformatting: Off.

On the Sound setting it is as follows:

Dynamic Range Compression: Off
Digital Audio Output:

Dolby Audio (I've just changed everything to PCM, as Macca said): PCM
DTS/DTS-HD: PCM
MPEG Audio: PCM
BD-Video Secondary Audio: Off

Optical Down Sampling: Up to 192khz
Downmix: Stereo
HDMI Output Settings of Music Playback: Sound Quality Priority

Settings for High Clarity Sound...

Output Selection of Video Playback:

Audio Output: Automatic
Front Panel Display: Off

Output Selection of Audio Playback:

Audio Delay: O ms
Analogue Audio Output: Off

Changing the settings to PCM from Bitsream made bugger all difference! So... How da fook do I get just 2-channel stereo, when playing CDs?:scratch:

I'd like to nail that first, and be able to get 2-channel stereo, before I try and get the sound going through the Beresford DAC (via the optical cable).

Marco.

Marco
14-10-2020, 06:49
What would be handy, Darren, is if you could play a CD on your Panasonic player, and if the sound outputs in 2-channel stereo, tell me the exact settings you've implemented to achieve that?:)

Marco.

Macca
14-10-2020, 07:03

What are the options for Audio output other than 'Automatic'?

Macca
14-10-2020, 07:16
Are you using this input for your analogue cable from the Beresford?

https://i.ibb.co/7K3Xbvb/Capture.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

DarrenHW
14-10-2020, 07:18
What would be handy, Darren, is if you could play a CD on your Panasonic player, and if the sound outputs in 2-channel stereo, tell me the exact settings you've implemented to achieve that?:)

Marco.

Just popped a CD in, it's outputting 2 channel.

Cheers, from memory I think the options are 'Automatic', 'PCM' or 'Bitstream', so PCM then?

Dunno about doubling the DTA conversion. There is a 'Pure Direct' setting on the Denon amp, but that simply defeats the tone controls and switches off the front display.

Remember also that I only want to use the Beresford when playing CDs in 2-channel stereo - nothing else. In any other mode, while watching movies, etc, I want to use the DAC built into the Denon.

Marco.

If by "Denon" you mean Sony AVR you need to set the Panny to Bitstream, however you'll have to check what format it's outputting and may be better staying PCM.

Marco
14-10-2020, 07:54

What are the options for Audio output other than 'Automatic'?

Hi Martin,

HDMI Only
Optical Only
Analogue Only.

Should I try one of those instead? For the moment, let's forget about the Beresford and just concentrate on the Panny outputting stereo for CD playback:)

Marco.

Marco
14-10-2020, 08:07
Are you using this input for your analogue cable from the Beresford?

https://i.ibb.co/7K3Xbvb/Capture.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

If you look on the pic below, at the panel (black section) where it says 'Audio' (and 'In'), then in the middle of that there is a connection marked as 'Video 1' (left and right), with 'SAT/CATV above and 'SA-CD/CD' below, that's where the analogue outputs for the Beresford are connected:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/ygxDA3.jpg

This is a good link to use where you can zoom right in on the back panel: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ch7xbU8hxje/p_158STN1050/Sony-STR-DN1050.html#&gid=1&pid=3

When I had the previous Sony player, and the Beresford was connected to it via a coaxial cable, and the same analogue output cables from the DAC were connected to 'Video 1' on the amp, all I had to do to activate the Beresford was play a disc, then switch inputs on the amp to 'Video 1' and the sound would switch from coming from the amp's DAC to the Beresford.

Now when I do that, there is no sound whatsoever.

Marco.

Marco
14-10-2020, 08:19
Just popped a CD in, it's outputting 2 channel.

If by "Denon" you mean Sony AVR you need to set the Panny to Bitstream, however you'll have to check what format it's outputting and may be better staying PCM.

Indeed, it's a Sony! Brain fart, soz... Don't really understand what you mean by "better staying PCM" or "set the Panny to Bitstream". Bitstream on which setting?

Anyway, we can sort it when you pop round:cool:

Marco.

Macca
14-10-2020, 08:25
Hi Martin,

HDMI Only
Optical Only
Analogue Only.

Should I try one of those instead? For the moment, let's forget about the Beresford and just concentrate on the Panny outputting stereo for CD playback:)

Marco.

I'd try Optical only

Marco
14-10-2020, 08:34
Ok, but wouldn't that simply apply when trying to listen through the Beresford, as that's the only thing connected via an optical cable? At the moment I'm more interested in just getting the Panny to output in stereo.

As per your other question, what about where I've got the analogue outputs from the Beresford plugged into on the amp - is that ok?:)

Marco.

struth
14-10-2020, 08:46
you could use the audio in jacks but will need to set amp to analogue or it will route to digital inputs first if connected like hdmi

Marco
14-10-2020, 08:55
Lol, sorry mate, don't understand any of that... How do I 'set the amp to analogue'? As far as I know there is no such setting. And which 'Audio In' jacks (exactly where) are you referring to?:)

Marco.

struth
14-10-2020, 09:04
the big amp should have an input selector. it will likely have several settings and is probably on auto. if on auto there are any digital connections made, then it will prioritise those so analogue wont work. you would need to select analogue. thats how most work

Marco
14-10-2020, 09:32
Sure mate, but the problem isn't with the amp, it's the Panny.

The amp is set exactly the same way as it was when I had the previous Sony player, and with that I had no problems playing either CDs in stereo (with the amp's internal DAC), or switching to the Beresford. All it required was a change on the input selector.

Marco.

struth
14-10-2020, 09:41
Panny will have a setting for 2 channel analogue downmix

Macca
14-10-2020, 11:09
Ok, but wouldn't that simply apply when trying to listen through the Beresford, as that's the only thing connected via an optical cable? At the moment I'm more interested in just getting the Panny to output in stereo.

As per your other question, what about where I've got the analogue outputs from the Beresford plugged into on the amp - is that ok?:)

Marco.

I would use the inputs for 'super audio cd/cd' to connect the Beresford.

Have you tried playing audio cd from the Panasonic without using the Beresford? I.e using optical link direct from Panny to Sony AVR? Does that also default to multi-channel?

In theory at least it shouldn't sound any different.

Macca
14-10-2020, 11:15
Resorted to RTFM for the Panny.

It does say that for feeding audio via the optical that 'Audio Output' should be set to 'Off' in the advanced settings. Seems counter-intuitive but I'd give that a go if you didn't already.

Marco
14-10-2020, 13:11
Thanks for your help, guys. It's now sorted, thanks to Darren!:)

The settings on the Panny were fine, but regardless the amp was always defaulting to surround sound mode, so it was simply a matter of pressing the AFD/2ch button on the amp's remote control, which when highlighted for 2ch, allowed for stereo-only reproduction!

So I just need to keep it on that setting now when I'm listening to CDs. Also, for some unknown reason we can't quite fathom, the Beresford DAC is now working via the 'Video 1' input:scratch: Hey, I'll take it anyway, as that's things all sorted now!:cool:

Martin, the Raspberry Pi streamer is connected to the Super Audio CD/CD input, which I prioritize for SQ, so that's why the DAC's plugged into 'Video 1'.

Marco.

I would use the inputs for 'super audio cd/cd' to connect the Beresford.

Have you tried playing audio cd from the Panasonic without using the Beresford? I.e using optical link direct from Panny to Sony AVR? Does that also default to multi-channel?

In theory at least it shouldn't sound any different.

Gazjam
14-10-2020, 16:35
Just to clarify this, Darren, what should I be outputting, in order to achieve what I want, PCM or Bitstream?:)

Marco.

Got my player set to Bitstream, sounded better to me that way, zero conversion and the way to go imo if your dac plays nice with it.

DarrenHW
14-10-2020, 16:52
Got my player set to Bitstream, sounded better to me that way, zero conversion and the way to go imo if your dac plays nice with it.

Unfortunately it doesn't, it will only output Dolby Digital when set to bitstream, so we reverted to PCM.

I have the same issue with my Oppo 105, I guess it's an Atmos compatibility issue and as far as I'm aware no way to change what the Panny outputs.

Marco
14-10-2020, 17:51
Unfortunately it doesn't, it will only output Dolby Digital when set to bitstream, so we reverted to PCM.

I have the same issue with my Oppo 105, I guess it's an Atmos compatibility issue and as far as I'm aware no way to change what the Panny outputs.

Indeed mate, which begs the question then, when watching movies would the sound be better switching to Bitstream, then later switching back to PCM when playing CDs?:)

Marco.

DarrenHW
14-10-2020, 18:24
Indeed mate, which begs the question then, when watching movies would the sound be better switching to Bitstream, then later switching back to PCM when playing CDs?:)

Marco.

Vice versa. PCM for films, Bitstream to the Beresford and allow it to do the conversion.

Marco
14-10-2020, 18:50
Ok, now I'm confused... I thought that we couldn't use Bitstream with the Beresford because it will only output DD when set to bitstream?

As in your earlier answer to Gaz:

:hmm:

So I thought, set it to Bitstream when playing movies, and PCM (with the Beresford) when playing CDs and desiring 2-channel stereo, no?

Marco.

Marco
15-10-2020, 01:21
Just an update on the above, which I've just revisited... For some reason lol, the Panny will now output 2-channel stereo when set to Bitstream!:hmm::eek: Maybe it's just woken up from a deep slumber?:D

So that's what I've set it at, with PCM reserved solely for Dolby Audio, and that seems to sound best, certainly better than PCM for everything. Really sounding good now when playing CDs, and forming a nice combo with the Bushmaster!:)

Btw, I'm using this optical cable (from Van Damme) between the Panny and Beresford. It's SUPERB (and only £16.99 a metre):

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/924/fLDNsg.png

Available from here: https://sxpro.co.uk/van-damme-optical-cable-1m-blue

Marco.