PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Geoff in Bristol

Geoffrey Stevens
09-09-2020, 16:44
After browsing posts on the forum for a little while, I have now registered.

I am a very keen music listener - classical mainly, and, being a choral singer, music in this vein is of interest. I am currently enjoing listening to 'The Proms'.

I have two 'listening areas':

Downstairs in the lounge - Denon RCD-DM41DAB, Dali Zensor speakers plus Arcam rDac that is used with my laptop. My music collection (from CDs) is stored on a Synology NAS, and I listen to this using JRiver Media Centre Software.

Upstairs in my study - Rotel 950BZ tuner with Teac AH-500 amp and Dali Spektor speakers. I use my desktop computer and Cyrus Soundkey dac to link this with my NAS, and, again use JRiver.

The Rotel tuner is a recent acquisition (£40 on eBAY), and a purchase that I am really pleased with. I do find that a live concert broadcast on R3 provides an excellent listening experience, with a great soundstage. I use a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 aerial, indoors. I know that this aerial has had mixed 'reviews', but, for me (with probably quite a strong FM signal in Bristol), it works well - 5 bars on the tuner. One point though is that if I want really clean audio from the tuner that I need to switch off my computer, otherwise the RFI is picked up by the aerial.

Sorry, I seem to have 'gone on a bit', and I think that I should stop know. I know that I have given a lot of equipment information, but it's the music, and the listening that's important for me.

Regards,
Geoff

walpurgis
10-09-2020, 06:55
Hi Geoff. Welcome to AOS from another Geoff :).

There's a lot going on here, so take a look around and join in any chat that interests you.

Yes, Rotel tuners don't really get a lot of mentions, but they always seem good. I have one myself.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Geoffrey Stevens
10-09-2020, 15:29
Thank you for the welcome.

Yes, I've been really pleased with the 950BX. Do you have the same model, or have you managed to find a 990BX (or an RHT-10)? - reportedly better.

Regards,
Geoff

walpurgis
10-09-2020, 15:52
No, just an RT-830AL I picked up to fill a gap in the rack :). Sounds good though, not that it really gets used.

Puffin
10-09-2020, 16:29
I am surprised given your speaker choices that your user name is not Salavador:lol: Yeah.....sorry about my dreadful attempt at humour....there are probably tons more buried attempts if you dig around.

I used to be a chorister with a world renowned choir back in the mists of time....but my poison of choice is now Jazztronica:eek:.....usually from chaps in those very cold countries.

Do you have any plans to upgrade any of your kit?

Geoffrey Stevens
11-09-2020, 07:48
Hi Puffin(!!),

I realise that my systems are not HI-fi, but reasonably middle-fi, and I'm quite happy with the quality of the sound. Admittedly, I've not heard higher quality equipment, but I couldn't afford it anyway...

However, I'm always happy to receive suggestions. Which of items would you think is ripe for upgrade?

Geoff

walpurgis
11-09-2020, 08:32
I realise that my systems are not HI-fi, but reasonably middle-fi, and I'm quite happy with the quality of the sound. Admittedly, I've not heard higher quality equipment, but I couldn't afford it anyway...

Geoff

I wouldn't worry about that. It's all subjective anyway and every system has a valid position. Many of us here use modest gear and Hi-Fi snobbery is frowned upon. I no longer run any 'posh' equipment myself. It's about enjoyment.

Puffin
11-09-2020, 12:15
Hi Puffin(!!),

However, I'm always happy to receive suggestions. Which of items would you think is ripe for upgrade?

Geoff

Geoff, most of my stuff is a mixture of what some may call Crapfi (lots of DIY) and some more unusual/esoteric bits which to me convey a very coherent whole.

Upgrades? If it ain't broke....don't fix it.

Geoffrey Stevens
11-09-2020, 13:12
Both Geoff and Puffin,

Good to hear that Hi-Fi snobberyis not a 'problem' here. I would agree that the enjoyment of the music is the main thing - and how we need that enjoyment at times like these. I will probably replace equipment, as and when, but at the moment, I'm quite happy with what I've got. Puffin, I must admit that I don't recognise much of your 'gear'. DIY is something that I will look at. My first stereo system (built in the early 1970s) was home contstructed from a kit and was used with Sinclair speakers (those square ones) - in fact the kit may have been Sinclair as well. This was my first experience of stereo, and when I managed to link it to a Dansette record player, I was blown away by the stereo effect.

The Black Adder
11-09-2020, 17:48
Welcome to AOS, Geoffrey.

Enjoy! :)

Barry
20-09-2020, 19:37
Welcome to AoS Geoffrey.

Yes we frown upon 'hi fi snobbery', or any form of 'willy waving' here. It's all about getting the maximum enjoyment out of the gear you own.

I agree the BBC do a superb job in relaying the Proms. In my youth I used to attend the Proms every year, but had to be satisfied with the cheaper seats with their less than ideal acoustics. But Radio 3 provides a perfect balance, placing you in the best seats; even if you do loose out on the "I am there" experience.

Regarding the RFI from your laptop, are you not able to move the tuner antenna further away from the computer? It also sounds (sorry for the pun) as if your laptop does not comply with the European CE regulations on EMC/EMI.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

Geoffrey Stevens
21-09-2020, 13:57
Thanks for the welcome Barry.

I have really appreciated the Proms this year (particularly the later live concerts), and it made me realise that Radio 3 on FM from a live concert is a pretty good stereo experience.

The RFI is from my desktop (or more accurately, the tower under my desk). The RFI manifests itself as background 'mush' - not that intrusive, but you certainly notice the clarity improvement when the computer is switched off.

Regards,
Geoff

Barry
21-09-2020, 14:00
Are you not able to move the antenna further away from the 'tower?

Regards
Barry (also a 'Bristolian')

spendorman
21-09-2020, 14:27
Hi Geoff. Welcome to AOS from another Geoff :).

There's a lot going on here, so take a look around and join in any chat that interests you.

Yes, Rotel tuners don't really get a lot of mentions, but they always seem good. I have one myself.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Decades ago I bought new the cheapest Rotel tuner, the RT222, seemed to perform at least as well as my Quad FM3.

AJSki2fly
21-09-2020, 14:52
Welcome Geoff, there are quite a few AoSer's in Bristol. I recently re-discovered FM broadcasts having got a Hitachi tuner and enjoy it over DAB, although some say there is no difference.

Good classical listening thread on here.

Geoffrey Stevens
22-09-2020, 10:41
Welcome Geoff, there are quite a few AoSer's in Bristol. I recently re-discovered FM broadcasts having got a Hitachi tuner and enjoy it over DAB, although some say there is no difference.

Good classical listening thread on here.

Thanks for the Welcome.

DAB certainly gives you a great choice of channels, but, to my ears, FM is far superior. When you consider that DAB is MP2 (ish) - not even MP3, then it is not surprising that it doesn't produce great sound. DAB+ would be an improvement.

Geoff

Geoffrey Stevens
22-09-2020, 10:45
Are you not able to move the antenna further away from the 'tower?

Regards
Barry (also a 'Bristolian')

The antenna is in the 'best' position for reception, and my study is not that big anyway, so moving it is not really an option. The interference is minimal when listening casually, and I switch the PC off if I sit down to 'serious listening' - perhaps with a glass of wine (to relate to your 'strap line')! An outside antenna would probably be better, but my set up works well for me at the moment.

Regards,
Geoff

spendorman
22-09-2020, 10:52
A likely culprit in the Tower PC for creating excessive RFI, is the power supply, might be worth fitting a new/ better one.