PDA

View Full Version : Phono Stage Upgrade for Dynavector 17DX

CrillboBaggins
01-09-2020, 08:58
Morning,

I’ve currently got a Moon LP110v2 phono stage which is hooked up to my deck (Townshend Rock with an Audiomods Series Six Tonearm with Dynavector 17DX cart - then Townshend Allegri + passive pre into EAR Yoshino 890 power amp).

The Moon has been (is) a great stage but with this cartridge being low output at 0.3mV I’m after a phono stage with greater loading options (especially gain) and general upgrade.

I’ve been looking to upgrade for a while as well so just after some recommmendations. Probably used and about / up to £1k £1.5k max but willing to wait / save up for something a bit more ‘special’.

I've heard good things about Trilogy 907 from someone whos opinion I trust entirley but I suspect used this may be slightly out of budget. EAR 894P but I don't think has loading options.

Also, the ability to home demo would be a must if anyone has any recommendations of who to approach as well.

Cheers

Lurch
01-09-2020, 09:03
There is a Rega Aria for sale on the Wam if that's of interest?

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

CrillboBaggins
01-09-2020, 09:58
There is a Rega Aria for sale on the Wam if that's of interest?

Thanks John

flapland
01-09-2020, 12:12
As a recent convert to Tron you could consider the Tron Convergence MC. If you speak with Graham he should be able to configure one to match your 17DX.

Otherwise the newer Tom Evans Microgrooves have loading options.

topoxforddoc
01-09-2020, 12:43
Another vote for the TRON Convergence. Exquisitely built and great sound quality.

PaulBarnett
01-09-2020, 13:44
Consider a Graham Slee phono. I have one (MM) for a 10x5, works great - but the main thing is - you can arrange to borrow
any of his kit for home demo for just the cost of postage.

CrillboBaggins
01-09-2020, 13:51
As a recent convert to Tron you could consider the Tron Convergence MC. If you speak with Graham he should be able to configure one to match your 17DX.

Yep, heard good things about these but wasn't sure where to purchase etc. Do you know if you can home demo a unit ?

CrillboBaggins
01-09-2020, 14:48

Paul,

spoke with Graham, really nice guy, although he doesn't do a home demo service as all units are made to order, this could be a possibility.

I've got a TE Microgrovve demo unit due this weekend.

Out of interest did you get a chance to compare the Convergence to the Microgroove ? Since I'll only be able to home demo one of them it's a difficult decision to make if the Microgroove blows me away, especially with the Convergence being £300 / £600 more.

ta

Luke

ta

Luke

worrasf
01-09-2020, 15:03
I also have a TE Microgroove and it is simply stunning..Tom configured mine for my Paradoxpulse DL103R but it has dip switches to change the loading for a wide variety of cartridges (112, 140, 187, 280 & 560 ohms). I'm currently listening to it into a TE full monty upgraded Pioneer A- 300R - big silly grin

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

flapland
02-09-2020, 09:06
Luke, I have a Tron Seven which is similar spec but in a full size case. It's not longer sold but is available second hand occasionally.

I had a Microgroove but it was an early one and also a MM only one which I used with a Cinemag SUT.

The Microgroove was very good but the Tron is at another level especially in terms of bass and clarity.

CrillboBaggins
02-09-2020, 09:56
Luke, I have a Tron Seven which is similar spec but in a full size case. It's not longer sold but is available second hand occasionally.

I had a Microgroove but it was an early one and also a MM only one which I used with a Cinemag SUT.

The Microgroove was very good but the Tron is at another level especially in terms of bass and clarity.

Thanks Paul, did you go for the Signature version with your Convergence ?

I've narrowed it down to:
Tron convergence
TE The Groove Plus (used) (i'll still loan the Microgroove though)
Avid Pulsus (used)
EAR Phonobox / 834P (used)
Longdog McJ3

Would be great to be able to home demo all but not sure how realistic this is

Firebottle
02-09-2020, 10:45
I'd take the Longdog over the EAR phonobox, the EAR uses feedback equalisation which always sounds a bit 'sat on' to my ears.

Never heard a Tom Evans stage unfortunately.

walpurgis
02-09-2020, 10:53
I'd take the Longdog over the EAR phonobox, the EAR uses feedback equalisation which always sounds a bit 'sat on' to my ears.

Never heard a Tom Evans stage unfortunately.

I didn't think the EAR was anything special either.

flapland
02-09-2020, 17:19

I have the Tron Seven not the Convergence. Which is a different design but I suspect similar spec to a signature Convergence. A Tron anything is going to be decent to be honest. If you can get Graham to vouch for it and get the price down the one Emporium have is worth a punt.

Lurch
02-09-2020, 17:31
I have an MFA Classic Baby SUT (1:10) for sale in the classifieds, you'd be more than welcome to try it into the mm side of your moon (just cover postage). It has 6 different load settings (see middle column in photo).https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/6a6d3de8666dd9ec5026c0a1a191864c.jpg

flapland
02-09-2020, 17:40
Lurch's suggestion is a really good one and could an interesting alternative approach.

CrillboBaggins
04-09-2020, 18:26
I have an MFA Classic Baby SUT (1:10) for sale in the classifieds, you'd be more than welcome to try it into the mm side of your moon (just cover postage). It has 6 different load settings (see middle column in photo).https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200902/6a6d3de8666dd9ec5026c0a1a191864c.jpg

Thanks John

I may well take you up on your offer after I’ve finished with the current hemp demo unit I have.

Thanks

Westendboy
10-09-2020, 19:43

I've narrowed it down to:
Tron convergence
TE The Groove Plus (used) (i'll still loan the Microgroove though)
Avid Pulsus (used)
EAR Phonobox / 834P (used)
Longdog McJ3

Would be great to be able to home demo all but not sure how realistic this is
Thought that the Rogue Ares was “voiced” using the 17dx