PDA

View Full Version : How to clean my tonearm

Jac Hawk
12-08-2020, 09:48
i've had my audiomods series 6 tonearm for over a year now and i've noticed the headshell and polished metal parts are starting to look a bit well dirty and i was wondering what would be the best way to clean it, my thinking is some old fashioned Duraglit but might it damage anything? suggestions please......

graham67
12-08-2020, 10:08
I find Ambersil foaming cleanser is good for cleaning metal or plastic parts. I would put it on a rag and apply as you don't want to.spray into bearings etc. Its good at getting rid of grime and making things shiny.
I get it from.CPC.

willbewill
12-08-2020, 10:08
When I built an Audiomods arm kit I used micromesh polishing cloths to get to a good finish then Autosol metal polish for the final polish.

Jac Hawk
12-08-2020, 10:10
Cheers Graham, i've never come across that stuff before

graham67
12-08-2020, 10:22
Although its great in some applications such as renovating chrome exhausts etc, autosol is abrasive and will remove some coatings and anodising etc. Autosol do make a variant for anodized finishes which is a lot smoother, but one thing I have learned is to start out gentle and work up rather than he other any around. So I would only use autosol anodized if other milder options don't work.

struth
12-08-2020, 10:57
lighter fluid is good and evaporates fast.. well ventillated tho.. pipe cleaners and q tips

Opti-cal
12-08-2020, 11:33
I find Ambersil foaming cleanser is good for cleaning metal or plastic parts. I would put it on a rag and apply as you don't want to.spray into bearings etc. Its good at getting rid of grime and making things shiny.
I get it from.CPC.

Ambersil "Amberclens" is great stuff. It's anti-static too, always a plus for anything near your TT. As Graham suggests, spray some on a rag and clean a small bit of the tonearm, you'll then get a feel for how much you need to apply to do the whole thing. A good air duster in parts is always a good idea too. Just watch that stylus!!!

PeteT
12-08-2020, 13:39
Yes, remember to have stylus guard fitted..!

I would suggest isopropyl alcohol or good record cleaner should do the job perfectly well used with a small microfiber cloth (or a camera or glasses lens cloth).

Sent using Tapatalk

Jac Hawk
12-08-2020, 15:06
Cheers guys