PDA

View Full Version : ....why tinker with perfection?

REM
13-07-2010, 10:59
Piece in the Grauniad about the Vinyl Factory:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/audioslideshow/2010/jun/29/work-and-careers-heritage

Simply fabulous:cool:

Stratmangler
13-07-2010, 11:10
Interesting piece Ralph.

I see you also know the newspaper by its' proper name too :lol:

Marco
13-07-2010, 11:12
Indeed - nice one, Ralph.

Btw, Chris, yer rubber band is on its way to you (sent by First Class post yesterday) :)

Marco.

Stratmangler
13-07-2010, 11:43
Indeed - nice one, Ralph.

Btw, Chris, yer rubber band is on its way to you (sent by First Class post yesterday) :)

Marco.

Cheers Marco - much appreciated :)

The Vinyl Adventure
13-07-2010, 12:40
Why is it called grauniad?

Stratmangler
13-07-2010, 13:00
The Guardian. The newspaper was notorious for smelling pistakes.
One morning it actually hit the news stands proudly declaring the newspaper title "The Grauniad".
They've never lived it down.

I have on occasion sat down to read the thing, only to find that the story I'm reading stops mid sentence. I've then found the continuation of the article in another part of the paper, no other information, as though it's the most natural thing in the world.

The Vinyl Adventure
13-07-2010, 13:03
sounds like i could apply to be the editor

Stratmangler
13-07-2010, 13:05
Rubber band has arrived Marco - thanks again.

I've had a before and after listen - I can't hear any difference with it on or off.
The turntable platter does however look a damned sight tidier than it did before, so the band stays.
It has also increased the peripheral mass of the platter, albeit marginally, so the inertia of the platter has increased slightly, which is usually a good thing for rotational stability.

Stratmangler
13-07-2010, 13:06
sounds like i could apply to be the editor

Aye, Elizabethan spellings compulsory :D

Stratmangler
13-07-2010, 13:29
Rubber band has arrived Marco - thanks again.

I've had a before and after listen - I can't hear any difference with it on or off.
The turntable platter does however look a damned sight tidier than it did before, so the band stays.
It has also increased the peripheral mass of the platter, albeit marginally, so the inertia of the platter has increased slightly, which is usually a good thing for rotational stability.

I think I posted a bit too soon - I've stuck on an album with some phenomenal cymbal work (The Dixie Dregs, What If, promotional [record store] copy), and there is improved clarity to stick strikes. The drummer actually sounds like he's driving the band harder. I checked that the strobe to see if there is any speed change, but no, the strobe is rock steady, as it was before. So something is going on. Maybe one or more of the bell nodes of the platter have become more suppressed. Whatever is happening, it brings a small, but worthwhile improvement.

Muchos gracias Marco.

Haselsh1
13-07-2010, 14:28
What a beautiful editorial. It kind of sums up analogue photography as well.

DSJR
13-07-2010, 15:29
I like the 401 with unknown arm and jap direct-drive mat (Pioneer?) - and the later shot of what may be a Monitor-Audio direct drive with SME arm.

Perhaps that's what some vinyl needs, a trebly sounding SME 3009 with a good matching cartridge (I wonder how highly compliant the AT155 or better Nagaoka's are???

Barry
13-07-2010, 19:44
The amount of records this plant is now producing per week, is the same number that were rejected by quality control when EMI pressed 1 million records a week!

Anybody know what the pickup arm is, seen with the Garrard 401 TT in the opening shot?

Regards

Techno Commander
13-07-2010, 20:25
Brilliant article.

Marco
16-07-2010, 09:47
Hi Chris,

No worries - glad it's done something positive for you! I forgot I even had one until you mentioned it.

Enjoy :)

Marco.