PDA

View Full Version : XTC Skylarking

REM
13-07-2010, 10:52
Interesting piece on Andy Partridges' website about the Skylarking lp:

In the course of world renowned mastering engineer John Dents work on preparing the new double vinyl set of XTC's Skylarking for release, an interesting and wonderful thing has been discovered. John has informed us that that somewhere in the chain from Todd Rundgrens Utopia sound studio and Londons Master room studio, way back in 1986, a fault has occurred that means all of the versions of Skylarking you've ever heard, on CD or vinyl, have sounded...how shall we put this?... wrong.

How can this be I hear you think, sounds fine to me?

The band themselves always had a nagging doubt that the album sounded a little too thin and bass light, not like they remembered it sounding from the recording process. Well, what John has identified is that the previous vinyl and CD's {including the flashy US Fidelity version unfortunately} have been manufactured with their sound polarity reversed. In laymans terms this mix up means that sound waves that should be pushing out from your speakers are actually pulling them back and projecting from the rear. Something as simple as a wrongly wired XLR plug in Todds studio or the Master room would have resulted in this sound mishap. Making the record sound distant and thinner. He has identified that the original tapes appear in very good condition and with this problem now rectified APE will be able to present to you shortly a splendid double deep vinyl cut of this classic XTC album as it was intended to sound, but never has done due to human error.

http://ape.uk.net/news/news_stories.php?newsid=345:cool:

DanJennings
13-07-2010, 18:11
good news certainly. looking forward to hear a great sounding album sounding even better.

I'd love to know when these new remasters are coming out, they were meant to start coming out ages ago. I'm a right sad XTC nut, I bought the last remasters that came out too, the special japanese vinyl replica sleeve jobs that came out around 8 years ago. But I'll probably end up getting these too, since the recent Dukes of Stratosphear remasters were so lovingly done with bonus tracks, nice packaging and sleeve notes etc.

Just out of interest, I know there are a quite a few XTC fans on here, what're your favourite albums/eps/songs?

Beechwoods
13-07-2010, 18:22
Nonsuch...

Hard to pick a favourite track. They are all exquisite, to be honest, even 'Bungalow' which I think was a bonus track... Andy P is on top form lyrically; on a par with the lyrics on Apple Venus...

I got the Japanese mini-LP issue of Nonsuch :)

DanJennings
13-07-2010, 18:28
Nonsuch...

Hard to pick a favourite track. They are all exquisite, to be honest, even 'Bungalow' which I think was a bonus track... Andy P is on top form lyrically; on a par with the lyrics on Apple Venus...

I got the Japanese mini-LP issue of Nonsuch :)

I love nonsuch, but a couple of the songs grate on me a little, like war dance and smartest monkeys...
I think at the moment, my favourite is The Big Express, but ask me tomorrow and you'll probably get a different answer ;)

Beechwoods
13-07-2010, 18:35
Smartest Monkeys is a little bit simplistic on the lyrics front but War Dance is fantastic!

There's a cheap sensation
Keeping Fleet Street wide awake
Everyone wants a slice of
The jingoistic cake

Whenever I listen to Apple Venus I always think that's a work of genius; I know how you feel!

The Grand Wazoo
13-07-2010, 18:45
Oranges & Lemons for me. Chalk Hills & Children

Pete The Cat
13-07-2010, 19:38
Favourite album is "Mummer".

Favourite track overall is "Yacht Dance".

But the catalogue is so rich that if you ask me each hour for the next day I'll probably say something different every time... :youtheman:

Pete