PDA

View Full Version : WTD floorstanding speakers

Bigbird
01-08-2020, 08:46
Hi guys I’m looking for some nice full range floorstanding speakers as my next upgrade. I’m looking for something used or ex dem to maximise my budget.

I’ve been looking along the lines of Spendor D7 , Audiovector arrete , Dynaudio contour 30. There have been a few pop up recently around the £2.5k mark but low and behold now I have the money there’s not much about. Any suggestions or recommendations welcomed .

2.5k is max budget and must be able to post

Cheers

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floyddroid
01-08-2020, 11:42
I have a pair of Tannoy 6.4 precision I am selling. I have reduced their price as one of the grill are damaged. They are a nice easy load for low powered amps too should you have one.

Matt F
01-08-2020, 15:22
I'm about to sell a pair of immaculate Meadowlark Kestrel 2's (cherry wood with a maple stripe) but I have no idea of their value, although they are clearly well below your maximum budget. Cracking speakers and they drop pretty low (35hz).

One question though - when you say location = Melbourne, which one are we talking about?

Alfonzo
01-08-2020, 16:21
Id guess its Derbyshire or an expensive postage ha ha

Pigmy Pony
01-08-2020, 16:48
No, I think it is Australia. That would take some shipping :)

Matt F
01-08-2020, 17:13
Well that's what I was hoping (Derbyshire) as that's an easy drive. Melbourne Australia would take somewhat longer and require an amphibious car ;)

Bigbird
01-08-2020, 21:22
Thanks for the suggestions so far gents.
I’m really looking for something with no damage.

I’m looking to beat my present Spendor SP2/3R2 which retailed for 2.5k.

This is why I was looking toward the Spendor D7 price range and class as they blew me away when I heard them. Everything I have now but more of it . Something that would have been 4-5k new but around 2.5k used.

I do live in Melbourne and ship stuff here from back home all the time via UPS. It’s on my doorstep from the UK within 4-5 days. I’ve used them maybe 30 times and had no issues whatsoever . Cost me under 150 quid fully insured to ship my current spendors so that’s not to bad if you ask me. If that’s too much of an issue I can send to my parents house in Southport and on from there.

Cheers

Antinchip
01-08-2020, 22:30
I have a pair of Tannoy Prestige Turnberry SE up for sale currently. Built in 2012 and I am second owner. PM me if of interest.

Cheers

RobbieGong
01-08-2020, 23:31
Thanks for the suggestions so far gents.
I’m really looking for something with no damage.

I’m looking to beat my present Spendor SP2/3R2 which retailed for 2.5k.

This is why I was looking toward the Spendor D7 price range and class as they blew me away when I heard them. Everything I have now but more of it . Something that would have been 4-5k new but around 2.5k used.

I do live in Melbourne and ship stuff here from back home all the time via UPS. It’s on my doorstep from the UK within 4-5 days. I’ve used them maybe 30 times and had no issues whatsoever . Cost me under 150 quid fully insured to ship my current spendors so that’s not to bad if you ask me. If that’s too much of an issue I can send to my parents house in Southport and on from there.

Cheers

The D7s are excellent, I love them, the best speakers I've owned.

Bigbird
03-08-2020, 01:37
The D7s are excellent, I love them, the best speakers I've owned.

They sure are . They image superbly .
I’ve now added Proac D30RS to the list

RobbieGong
03-08-2020, 02:58
Which did you hear Karl, the D7 or the new, revised D7.2 ?

Bigbird
03-08-2020, 08:03
Which did you hear Karl, the D7 or the new, revised D7.2 ?

I’ve heard both now mate and both were very impressive. Can’t remember what the subtle differences were exactly as they were a while apart but I love the spendor sound and both were exactly the type of thing I would be very happy with long term.

nonuffin
03-08-2020, 08:34
I'm going to throw another name into the ring that you may not have considered - Quadral.

Their Chromium Style 8 model is truly superb in every way (I myself own the smaller Style 6) and will be a purchase you will never want to part with - as I will never part with mine and this is a reviewer saying this. The best bit is they are well within budget brand new in the box and none of youir shortlisted candidates can hold a candle to them in my humble opinion.

Read this review where another reviewer has fallen for their charms like I did: https://sacom.ch/bilder/news/testberichte/HFW_Quadral_Chromium_0316_en.pdf

Get in touch with Mr C on this forum by PM and he is happy to send globally and may even chip off the VAT for you as you are located overseas.

RobbieGong
03-08-2020, 11:01
I'm going to throw another name into the ring that you may not have considered - Quadral.

Their Chromium Style 8 model is truly superb in every way (I myself own the smaller Style 6) and will be a purchase you will never want to part with - as I will never part with mine and this is a reviewer saying this. The best bit is they are well within budget brand new in the box and none of youir shortlisted candidates can hold a candle to them in my humble opinion.

Read this review where another reviewer has fallen for their charms like I did: https://sacom.ch/bilder/news/testberichte/HFW_Quadral_Chromium_0316_en.pdf

Get in touch with Mr C on this forum by PM and he is happy to send globally and may even chip off the VAT for you as you are located overseas.

Good shout Dominic, defo look like one to check out, look a bargain too

RobbieGong
03-08-2020, 11:08
I’ve heard both now mate and both were very impressive. Can’t remember what the subtle differences were exactly as they were a while apart but I love the spendor sound and both were exactly the type of thing I would be very happy with long term.

Yeah, the D7 is a delight in my set-up. I've read that the changes / revisions in the D7.2 are subtle, but that they are definitely improved over the originals. My hope is to nab a pair at some point in the future.

Bigbird
06-08-2020, 03:05

Thanks for the input , the Quadrals had slipped through the net there.

I’m now eyeing up a pair a few rungs up the ladder from the chromium 8. The platinum plus 9 #eyebrows [emoji108]top of the platinum range . They get down to 23 and up to 48000, That really is full range. Love the idea of the pressure chamber in the middle too. Looks really well thought out.

Cheers
Karlhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200806/bd8c20bd519b64952e1d0e75a0a22229.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200806/f3f67fbca6e7c43e879ae6548554ac57.jpg

Gazjam
06-08-2020, 08:25
Hi Karl,

I'd maybe ask here as well, a bit closer to home for posting! :)
https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/

rmcin626
06-08-2020, 08:37
Not sure if my speakers are available in Australia, excellent floor standers.

https://hifipig.com/a-r-t-stilleto-6-v3-s-loudspeakers/

Gazjam
06-08-2020, 09:44
At that budget, the new Sonus Faber "Sonetto" range gets my vote.
Gorgeous things.

The III and the V are the ones to look at?
Not sure how the price translates to AU Dollars.

The III

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afVwwe9Gyz4

The V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7zkmVDr9u4

Dynaudio Evoke 50's are worth a look too.

nonuffin
06-08-2020, 18:57
Thanks for the input , the Quadrals had slipped through the net there.

I’m now eyeing up a pair a few rungs up the ladder from the chromium 8. The platinum plus 9 #eyebrows [emoji108]top of the platinum range . They get down to 23 and up to 48000, That really is full range. Love the idea of the pressure chamber in the middle too. Looks really well thought out.

Cheers
Karlhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200806/bd8c20bd519b64952e1d0e75a0a22229.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200806/f3f67fbca6e7c43e879ae6548554ac57.jpg

Very good choice Karl, as the higher up the range you go the better they are :) Only wish my listening room was bigger, I would have them in a heartbeat.

Bigbird
07-08-2020, 20:27
Hi Karl,

I'd maybe ask here as well, a bit closer to home for posting! :)
https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/

Thanks for all the suggestions and yes I did tinker with the idea of joining SN a while back. I’ve been here long enough now. Trouble is , the prices they charge for stuff here, even used stuff, it still makes sense to buy at home and send here as it actually works out cheaper most of the time.

Glb
11-08-2020, 20:42
Hi Karl i did contact you regards the cygnis was awaiting a reply , Chris.

Ashmore
12-08-2020, 22:21
There's a chap selling a pair of D7.2's on the Wam just now...

Bigbird
12-08-2020, 22:32
There's a chap selling a pair of D7.2's on the Wam just now...

Oh thanks do you know what he wants for them?

Jimbo
13-08-2020, 11:04
Hi Karl,

If you are updating to a bigger speaker from The SP2 and you want a bigger more powerful sound then a second hand pair of Sp100R2 should be on your list. They will give you the same sound but on a much bigger scale.

The D7 and D9 etc are different animals.

RobbieGong
13-08-2020, 11:25
Hi Karl,

If you are updating to a bigger speaker from The SP2 and you want a bigger more powerful sound then a second hand pair of Sp100R2 should be on your list. They will give you the same sound but on a much bigger scale.

The D7 and D9 etc are different animals.

Thanks Jimbo, i know you're a Spendor man too :) Hope you're keeping well. Always nice to have your contribution :thumbsup:

Jimbo
13-08-2020, 11:32
Thanks Jimbo, i know you're a Spendor man too :) Hope you're keeping well. Always nice to have your contribution :thumbsup:

Cheers Rob, Hope all good with you?

Yes just moved to a massive new room so the Sp2s are a little bit lost but they still sound very good indeed. I will be looking for some larger speakers myself in the near future and more amplification!

RobbieGong
13-08-2020, 12:04
Cheers Rob, Hope all good with you?

Yes just moved to a massive new room so the Sp2s are a little bit lost but they still sound very good indeed. I will be looking for some larger speakers myself in the near future and more amplification!

Excellent, large room and change - excellent. Let us know how you get on with that, exciting ! :)

Bigbird
13-08-2020, 19:52
Thanks Jim, hope that new room is coming together for you matey? I’m sure you will get it singing soon enough.

Yes the 100s are fantastic . I’ve had the pleasure of listening to them on a couple of occasions. Unfortunately they rarely come up used and are 8k new so even second hand are above my 2.5-3k budget.

There were a pair on here a while back but he was pretty firm on not wanting to ship them so no good for me.

That said I’m thinking of moving away from the box monitors. I currently have some harbeth shl5 plus on swapsies with mine and although they dig a smidge deeper and fuller I prefer my Sp2/3r2 by some margin. The sp2 are just about one of the most ‘right’ sounding speakers I’ve ever heard and their 5 star reviews across the board are testament to that. I’m just looking for something that will go a bit deeper and Lower and image slightly better so the spendor floorstanders tick those boxes. I really enjoyed the Dynaudio contour 30 too so they are high on the list .

I’m in no rush so will sit patient until the right deal comes up .

Cheers mate

Ashmore
14-08-2020, 06:13
Oh thanks do you know what he wants for them?

£3,750. He's in York. He hasn't posted any pics.

vintagesteve
14-08-2020, 06:50
I have a pair of AR Holographic Imaging series model M4 floor standing speakers for sale. £185.

Bigbird
14-08-2020, 07:14
£3,750. He's in York. He hasn't posted any pics.

They’re a little over my budget unfortunately. I did have a look at the ad but lack of info put me off . Cheers

Bigbird
14-08-2020, 07:20
I have a pair of AR Holographic Imaging series model M4 floor standing speakers for sale. £185.

Thanks for the offer . I’m looking for something a bit further up the ladder than them. I don’t think the missus would be too keen to have them in the living room either. Cheers

Opti-cal
14-08-2020, 07:49
Karl, these are my speakers:

http://www.cambridge-acoustics.pl/420860187/product/1557611/grand-master-evolution-experience?catid=476740

Not much information on them as he's just a small custom speaker builder. He's spent a lot of time and R&D tuning the speakers to reproduce musical instruments with as much accuracy as possible.

They come with lifetime 'return to workshop' warranty but are built like tanks and barely out of 3rd gear at high listening levels. They go down super low and create an enormous soundstage.

A bit left-field and not sure if they're what you're looking for precisely but they have become my main speaker, displacing some very good competition.

Bigbird
14-08-2020, 08:33
Karl, these are my speakers:

http://www.cambridge-acoustics.pl/420860187/product/1557611/grand-master-evolution-experience?catid=476740

Not much information on them as he's just a small custom speaker builder. He's spent a lot of time and R&D tuning the speakers to reproduce musical instruments with as much accuracy as possible.

They come with lifetime 'return to workshop' warranty but are built like tanks and barely out of 3rd gear at high listening levels. They go down super low and create an enormous soundstage.

A bit left-field and not sure if they're what you're looking for precisely but they have become my main speaker, displacing some very good competition.

I’ve never heard of those chris.

Thanks for the input. Hope your well mate?

Which model do you have? The ones I clicked on were 100,000pln (about 35 grand [emoji23]) and it was all in polish

Opti-cal
14-08-2020, 08:57
I’ve never heard of those chris.

Thanks for the input. Hope your well mate?

Which model do you have? The ones I clicked on were 100,000pln (about 35 grand [emoji23]) and it was all in polish

Hi Karl,

I'm really good thanks mate, hope all is good your end too!

Haha, its 10,000 PLN so about £2000 . . . . I did get them for a lot less too as mine were actually a year old (but still barely broken in).

I have the exact ones in the picture linked to although occasionally the designer changes the drivers and finish of the speakers as they are custom built. One thing is for sure, they will always sound good!

Indeed really very little written about them apart from the testimonials and feedback on his own website, which must always be taken with a few pinches of salt. However the comments are favorable and do indeed tally up with my experiences with them.

They are just 'there' with no emphasis on any particular frequency but certainly nothing missing. They play well with low powered valve amps but can blow your head off with a big power amp, like I'm using with it now. A tube preamp and Class D power amp seems to be my favorite combo at the moment. Having said that, they sound terrific with my 300B SEP, my KT88 PP Ming Da and my Marantz 1060.

They're just very very good.

It was a risk buying with no reviews but I took the plunge and I'm very happy.

They're big but not too 'ugly' in my opinion.

Like I say they might not be exactly what you're looking for but thought they might be a nice contrast to the more 'commercial/obvious' choices. Not that there's anything wrong with the tried and tested suggestions but I'm often attracted to slightly different options, these are certainly that.

If you were to go with a more 'middle of the road' speaker I would say check out KEF R700/900 series.

I would also give some serious thought to these speakers:

https://www.tektondesign.com/

They have a lot (and I mean a lot) of different models and all can be customised to your spec and budget. They don't seem to have many disappointed customers and they have been helpful in email conversations I've had with them before.

Or if you want to continue on the wacky suggestion path:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONOFER-SF-9-1-PERFECT-CONDITION/283537221656

Beautiful speakers . . . how do they sound? Not a bloody clue I'm afraid, they just always looked nice to me . . . . sorry that's a slightly tongue-in-cheek suggestions but it does iterate just how many types of speakers are out there . . . .

Hope (maybe) some of the above helps mate.

Bigbird
14-08-2020, 09:04
Hi Karl,

I'm really good thanks mate, hope all is good your end too!

Haha, its 10,000 PLN so about £2000 . . . . I did get them for a lot less too as mine were actually a year old (but still barely broken in).

I have the exact ones in the picture linked to although occasionally the designer changes the drivers and finish of the speakers as they are custom built. One thing is for sure, they will always sound good!

Indeed really very little written about them apart from the testimonials and feedback on his own website, which must always be taken with a few pinches of salt. However the comments are favorable and do indeed tally up with my experiences with them.

They are just 'there' with no emphasis on any particular frequency but certainly nothing missing. They play well with low powered valve amps but can blow your head off with a big power amp, like I'm using with it now. A tube preamp and Class D power amp seems to be my favorite combo at the moment. Having said that, they sound terrific with my 300B SEP, my KT88 PP Ming Da and my Marantz 1060.

They're just very very good.

It was a risk buying with no reviews but I took the plunge and I'm very happy.

They're big but not too 'ugly' in my opinion.

Like I say they might not be exactly what you're looking for but thought they might be a nice contrast to the more 'commercial/obvious' choices. Not that there's anything wrong with the tried and tested suggestions but I'm often attracted to slightly different options, these are certainly that.

If you were to go with a more 'middle of the road' speaker I would say check out KEF R700/900 series.

I would also give some serious thought to these speakers:

https://www.tektondesign.com/

They have a lot (and I mean a lot) of different models and all can be customised to your spec and budget. They don't seem to have many disappointed customers and they have been helpful in email conversations I've had with them before.

Or if you want to continue on the wacky suggestion path:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONOFER-SF-9-1-PERFECT-CONDITION/283537221656

Beautiful speakers . . . how do they sound? Not a bloody clue I'm afraid, they just always looked nice to me . . . . sorry that's a slightly tongue-in-cheek suggestions but it does iterate just how many types of speakers are out there . . . .

Hope (maybe) some of the above helps mate.

Thanks mate. Ive has a couple of beers which is why I read it as 100,00. Bloody tit [emoji23]
2k seems very reasonable. I will have a flick through all the suggestions later. Thanks

Are you using a neurochrome with them?
How are you getting on with the 686? My father in law has just bought one but bloody lockdown is seriously hampering my ability to go hear it and find some speakers .

Opti-cal
14-08-2020, 09:06
and it was all in polish

Oh and my browser just automatically translates it on my PC so I can understand what you might have been a bit in the dark there!

If you view it on a decent browser it should make a bit more sense or use google translate. It does give you a bit of a summery about what technology is used and how they are designed. The technical specs are in there too.

The drivers on top can be turned on or off to increase/decrease efficiency from something like 102 to 98db and really do add a huge amount of shimmer and top end to the presentation. They really are stunning things to listen to, I'm floored by them most evenings . . .

Opti-cal
14-08-2020, 09:12
Thanks mate. Ive has a couple of beers which is why I read it as 100,00. Bloody tit [emoji23]
2k seems very reasonable. I will have a flick through all the suggestions later. Thanks

Are you using a neurochrome with them?
How are you getting on with the 686? My father in law has just bought one but bloody lockdown is seriously hampering my ability to go hear it and find some speakers .

Yup they are currently partnered with the 686, a powerful amp and very efficient speakers can sometimes result in high background noise and hiss/hum but my pre-amp is very quiet (surprisingly so for a tube pre-amp).

Someone once told me you don't want to have the speakers completely 'silent' when you have your ear an inch or so away from them (obviously you do want them silent from your listening position) but it basically means the gain and impedance is right for the speakers therefore any sound fed to them will instantly 'stir' the driver resulting in clean immediate sound. If you're having to add a lot of volume/gain to get the driver to move at all, you're losing some dynamics and possibly introducing distortion.

This makes a lot of logical sense to me although I have no idea if it is true or indeed what is happening or not.

The 686 is really worth sorting some very decent speakers for . . . . what is your father-in-law using with them at the moment? He has good taste!

Bigbird
14-08-2020, 09:22
Yup they are currently partnered with the 686, a powerful amp and very efficient speakers can sometimes result in high background noise and hiss/hum but my pre-amp is very quiet (surprisingly so for a tube pre-amp).

Someone once told me you don't want to have the speakers completely 'silent' when you have your ear an inch or so away from them (obviously you do want them silent from your listening position) but it basically means the gain and impedance is right for the speakers therefore any sound fed to them will instantly 'stir' the driver resulting in clean immediate sound. If you're having to add a lot of volume/gain to get the driver to move at all, you're losing some dynamics and possibly introducing distortion.

This makes a lot of logical sense to me although I have no idea if it is true or indeed what is happening or not.

The 686 is really worth sorting some very decent speakers for . . . . what is your father-in-law using with them at the moment? He has good taste!

I suppose it makes logical sense doesn’t it.

He’s currently got my spendor sp2/3r2 as we’ve swapped for a bit but the 686 will be driving his harbeth shl5+ . I think it might work well as they definitely need a bit of power up their arse to really shine .

I was going to buy the 686 myself but have prioritised the speakers now so he bought it. The harbies do sound fuller and paint a deeper picture but I really do prefer the sound of the spendors

Opti-cal
14-08-2020, 09:32
I suppose it makes logical sense doesn’t it.

He’s currently got my spendor sp2/3r2 as we’ve swapped for a bit but the 686 will be driving his harbeth shl5+ . I think it might work well as they definitely need a bit of power up their arse to really shine .

I was going to buy a 686 myself but have prioritised the speakers now. The harbies do sound fuller and paint a deeper picture but I really do prefer the sound of the spendors

To be honest if you know you like the sound of the Spendor's its the lowest risk approach to just go further up the range. Not the cheapest things out there though, hence I assume your quest for alternatives . . . .

The 686 has paired well with everything I've put with it so I would expect it to have good synergy with whatever you do decide on.

My suggestions of the KEF's and Tekton speakers though might just show the Spendor's a thing or two, although I have to admit I've not heard any proper floor-standing spendor's. If you're not using the SP2's with a subwoofer you'll be surprised how much low end information you will gain from some good floor-standers.

Bigbird
14-08-2020, 09:48
To be honest if you know you like the sound of the Spendor's its the lowest risk approach to just go further up the range. Not the cheapest things out there though, hence I assume your quest for alternatives . . . .

The 686 has paired well with everything I've put with it so I would expect it to have good synergy with whatever you do decide on.

My suggestions of the KEF's and Tekton speakers though might just show the Spendor's a thing or two, although I have to admit I've not heard any proper floor-standing spendor's. If you're not using the SP2's with a subwoofer you'll be surprised how much low end information you will gain from some good floor-standers.

Yeah I’d like some Spendor D7 as they blew me away, there’s only a few others I’ve heard in that class (Proac D30, Dynaudio contour 30) that come close for my tastes . My sp2 only go down to 40hz so I’m losing valuable low end information. They do however do the mid and HF beautifully. Vocals and instruments are stunning . They just sound so well balanced across the range and super clear so it’s a guaranteed win to move up the spendor ladder.

I’m yet to hear a bad word about the 686 . Lots of people saying you’d have to spend over 10k in shop to get that kinda performance. I will likely buy one in the next 6 months

Bigbird
15-08-2020, 16:38
Thanks for all the help and offers . This thread is now finished as I have just bought a pair of Dynaudio contour 30 . Cheers
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200815/6f93db35aaf009c77183becc8cbe8c18.jpg