PDA

View Full Version : Track of the moment

The Vinyl Adventure
13-07-2010, 08:16
I'm a little bit of a sucker for once in a while finding a track I really like and playing it maybe once a day... Usually until I ruin it for my self... But never mind that...

My current track of the moment is the title track off 'black sands' by bonobo.
It's sort of optimistically melancholy which i often find my self liking in music. It's melody reminds me very much off Yann Tiersons music, especially that done for the soundtrack for Amilie. It has lots of layers little twinkly sounds and although it does suffer from a touch of compression it doesn't detract to much from what is otherwise a really listenable piece of music
A really good end to a pretty good album!

So does anyone else have "songs of the moment"? That they love until they ruin... Or am I just an idiot for letting my self ruin them for my self :doh:

Spectral Morn
13-07-2010, 08:58
I Still love Empire of the Suns first album Walking on a Dream and I have played We are the People a lot but so far I have not poisoned myself on it. They're as mad as a box of frogs but great fun and I guess a bit like MGMT.

I can't link to the original but here is a remix of it...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GvYBC944mGs&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GvYBC944mGs&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Regards D S D L

The Vinyl Adventure
13-07-2010, 09:13
i spotified it...catchy indeed, i have added it to my play list for further listening whilst i work today

Spectral Morn
13-07-2010, 09:18
i spotified it...catchy indeed, i have added it to my play list for further listening whilst i work today

Its a good album imho and I hope they do another.

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
13-07-2010, 09:27
Not so much with a track, but I do tend to play an album loads to start with and then forget about it for a while because I'm a bit bored of it.

Alex_UK
13-07-2010, 09:32
I ordered the Empire of the Sun album but got Bat for Lashes instead (which I already had) and never got round to sending it back) - just ordered it again from Amazon. (Only £4.47, prices on there have fallen through the floor just lately, also ordered The Mission - Children [Bonus Tracks] £3.49 - new, delivered!)

The Grand Wazoo
13-07-2010, 09:49
My current track of the moment is the title track off 'black sands' by bonobo.
It's sort of optimistically melancholy which i often find my self liking in music. It's melody reminds me very much off Yann Tiersons music, especially that done for the soundtrack for Amilie. It has lots of layers little twinkly sounds and although it does suffer from a touch of compression it doesn't detract to much from what is otherwise a really listenable piece of music

I don't know about tracks of the moment Hamish, but I do like yours, thanks for the tip.

I was wondering the other day how you got on with your search for something similar to the Elton John track you liked. Do you remember you started a thread about it? The reason I ask is because I was listening to John Kongos - 'Kongos' yesterday & parts of it sound very like early Elton John. Not surprising really as the producer was Gus Dudgeon, the band is practically the same one on those Elton John records.

The album's on Spotify if you're interested.
http://open.spotify.com/album/5CT0WakYJ3Wvsllg4UO0HB

As an aside, it was apparently the first album to use sampling (African tribal drums) and the last track was covered by the Happy Mondays.

056Qdo_cmCM

The Vinyl Adventure
13-07-2010, 10:16
nice one... nothing really ever came of that thread, as i didnt have spotify to try stuff out and find youtube shit for that sort of thing....
dutifully added to spotify for listening today... cheers buddy!
as it goes, it was specifically madman across the water i really like, i havent found much else of his stuff that i like even a fraction as much...
in fact holiday inn is another song that i have killed for my self about 5 times now... its just good enough to keep having comebacks

The Grand Wazoo
13-07-2010, 10:51
I recently had a bit of a discovery moment with both 'Madman Across the Water' and 'Tumbleweed Connection'. I'd previously decided he'd done almost nothing whatsoever of interest to me, but my curiousity over his being influenced by The Band got the better of me.

shane
15-07-2010, 14:20
The track that's currently stuck in my head is "I Would Never" form The Blue Nile's album "High". Sort of sums up how I feel about life. Thinking of having it played at my funeral. (It's that sort of day today...)

Joe
16-07-2010, 20:20
I'm going through a Leadbelly phase right now:

MmTNgJxlrCY

And have also discovered this great early Dylan song:

IPl4cgWGeCc&feature=fvst

Pete The Cat
23-07-2010, 06:11
I like it when you get to middle age thinking you're aware of most of what's out there and then stumble across a band that's done loads of albums who you hadn't even realised existed. For me this has been Porcupine Tree and my track of the moment is virtually anything off "Deadwing". This Steve Wilson guy is a genius... :youtheman:

Pete