PDA

View Full Version : I was Curious

Clive197
18-07-2020, 09:03
I’ve owned my Chord Qutest now for 2 years but have only just (2 months) started to use USB.
I went from using a Atlas Element USB I got when I bought my Aries G1 to a Chord Tuned Aray USB I got a few weeks ago, I was very happy with my streaming setup.
During lockdown I’ve plenty of time on my hands and I spend it perusing forums and magazines and I came across rave reviews and UTube videos about a Curious USB cable from Australia.
I contacted Curious to find out if they had any dealers in the UK and at the same time found one on eBay which I made an offer on, to my surprise the offer was accepted. It arrived yesterday morning and I immediately plugged it in and started listening to music. The upshot of that was that I couldn’t stop, all afternoon, evening and until the early hours of this morning only being interrupted by food I listened to music being streamed from my NAS and Qobuz.
Curiosity had got the better of me and my wallet. The cable is stunning with great musicality and sound staging (I know, I know it’s a USB cable and they all sound the same ....NOT), simply the best SQ I’ve heard from my systems ever. The Curious USB cable has just booked a spot for the Chord Signature Tuned Aray on eBay, who knew.

Gazjam
18-07-2020, 16:29
Who says cables make a difference.... :eyebrows:

Clive197
03-08-2020, 17:15
Just put the Chord Signature Tuned Aray on eBay. The Curious USB has got a bit of competition at the moment as I’m doing a long term test on the Audioquest Diamond USB. Let’s see how that goes.

Clive197
25-08-2020, 15:52
Further update. Chord Signature Tuned Aray now sold.
I borrowed a Audioquest Diamond USB and left in place for a couple of weeks. Very nice cable with good bass but top end very slightly soft. Stereo separation was very much between the speakers,
Last weekend I put the Curious back and was immediately blown away by the wider and deeper soundstage. Bass was as good as the Diamond but mid and top was so much more transparent but not too brightly lit. Overall a nicer listen. Definitely a keeper.

AJSki2fly
25-08-2020, 16:02
Further update. Chord Signature Tuned Aray now sold.
I borrowed a Audioquest Diamond USB and left in place for a couple of weeks. Very nice cable with good bass but top end very slightly soft. Stereo separation was very much between the speakers,
Last weekend I put the Curious back and was immediately blown away by the wider and deeper soundstage. Bass was as good as the Diamond but mid and top was so much more transparent but not too brightly lit. Overall a nicer listen. Definitely a keeper.

Always lovely to make a small change and have a big improvement, happy listening.

Iceman16
08-09-2020, 20:09
I’ve been using a Curious usb cable for a few years now and I agree it sounds great.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50320398218_1deccb6012_c_d.jpg

Clive197
23-09-2020, 18:14
I’ve owned and used the original Curious USB cable for a couple of months now between my Aries G1 and Chord Qutest and have loved what it does to my system, but curiosity has got the better of me and I have pulled the trigger on a replacement, the Curious Evolved USB which I have been advised is on the way to me from Australia. Sadly it won’t be here for another 2-3 weeks, so I will have to make do with the original Curious cable. Woe is me.

Hudz
24-09-2020, 08:23
I’ve owned and used the original Curious USB cable for a couple of months now between my Aries G1 and Chord Qutest and have loved what it does to my system, but curiosity has got the better of me and I have pulled the trigger on a replacement, the Curious Evolved USB which I have been advised is on the way to me from Australia. Sadly it won’t be here for another 2-3 weeks, so I will have to make do with the original Curious cable. Woe is me.

:popcorn:

Please post your thoughts on the newcomer Clive, I already use a Curious usb cable and am intrigued to see if it can be bettered although the original is superb.

Not really hard to live with, I expect you'll survive for a couple of weeks.:)

Clive197
02-10-2020, 14:21
So after 18 days of travel from Australia, my new Curious Evolved USB arrived this afternoon. Within 45 minutes I had swapped it out for the Curious USB I have been using. Differences are NOT chalk and cheese but I have the feeling I can hear a little more detail and it certainly has a more smoother sound. Please bear in mind that the cable is brand new and not “burned-in”(something I have never personally experienced in cables) so I will leave it plugged in and see what comes, if anything. I have 30 days to make up my mind to keep it or send it back to Aus.

dhemen
12-10-2020, 04:54
Hi Clive
Any update about the new cable, how does it sounds after 10 days??

BLA-L09 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Clive197
12-10-2020, 11:51
Hi Doruk
The Curious Evolved USB is simply stunning.

I’ve always struggled hearing differences with all things digital but since I’ve been experimenting with USB cables I’ve been surprised and excited about the differences I’ve been hearing. The Curious USB simply left me gobsmacked that I could hear such an exciting difference but I took an opportunity to try the Curious Evolved and after 10 days of using it in my system I’ve decided to keep it. It’s not a huge leap from the standard Curious but it maintains everything the original cable gives but adds a smoothness especially at the to top end.

Pete812
12-10-2020, 21:50
Glad that you have found a cable you like and thanks for sharing your experiences with us.