PDA

View Full Version : EAR 912 pre-amplifier

petrat
16-07-2020, 08:49
For sale: EAR-Yoshino 912 preamp.

Immaculate, one owner from new, with all original packaging, remote, manual, etc. Bought autumn 2016, and collected personally from the factory, this preamp has performed flawlessly ever since. In anticipation of this reluctant sale, I took it back to EAR HQ for a service last week, where it was given a clean bill of health (documentation provided).

Selling price £5200. Initially, I am reluctant to entrust this to a courier, so would prefer collect (near M1-M6 junction) or meet by arrangement.

https://i.imgur.com/kf1F57X.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CzhaWlc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0Vk4Etx.jpg

hifinutt
16-07-2020, 09:30
https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/143555-wanted-ear-912-or-ear-868-preamps/

Sixty2
16-07-2020, 09:34
Wow, what a beautiful pre amp Peter, lovely!

WESTLOWER
16-07-2020, 09:53
:eek: :clapclapclap:
These are very Seldom seen.
I've listened to this swiss army knife of a pre amplifier many times and it's incredible quality.
If you are in the market for a flexible world class pre /phono amplifier, dump those external SUTs, this is all you will ever need!

scotty38
16-07-2020, 10:14
Wow, if only....

Floyddroid
16-07-2020, 10:36
Pant pant. I would love one of these but quite a bit out of my league.

wojtek
16-07-2020, 11:41
Just to add another appreciative nod. Wonderful opportunity for someone who - as ever with diminishing returns - can afford it.

EAR support is excellent - they are small, UK based and very reasonable in their servicing charges, unlike say prestige car dealers!

WESTLOWER
16-07-2020, 13:15
Just to add another appreciative nod. Wonderful opportunity for someone who - as ever with diminishing returns - can afford it.

EAR support is excellent - they are small, UK based and very reasonable in their servicing charges, unlike say prestige car dealers!

i don't think this is a diminishing returns item. This will give huge amounts of VFM and hold it's price.

Ali Tait
16-07-2020, 16:40
Love the look of these, very Steampunk.

Barry
16-07-2020, 16:55
:drool: GLWS

petrat
17-07-2020, 07:28
A bit more info, based on my experiences with it.

The 912's main features are its flexibility and ease of use, with all adjustments being easily accessed from the front panel. In addition to multiple line level inputs and outputs, it also has the capability to accomodate signals from two vinyl sources, and easily matches with any cartridge you care to use. In fact, the phonostage in this is one of the best out there. The mm section is truly excellent, with plenty of gain and massive headroom, enabling matching with just about any cartridge outputting from 1 to 10 mV and requiring 47K loading. The front-end mc section is a set of high quality SUTs, which have the following gains and impedences presented to the cartridge (together with some cartridge examples I used with it).:

30x - 52 Ohms (for cartridges with very low outputs and coil resistance, such as 2 Ohm SPUs)
24x - 82 Ohms (Koetsu, Transfigurations)
18x - 145 Ohms (Miyajima, Etsuro)
10x - 470 Ohms (Van den Hul, Denon 103R).

Basically, the phonostage is a different design to all TdP's other ones, in that it uses custom-made precision inductors in the equalisation circuit, and seems to be a variation of the LCR approach. Previously, I owned other EAR pre-amps, and can verify that the 912's phonostage is significantly different from, and a proper improvement on, the current 868, and also the previous generation 864.

The use of transformer coupling on all inputs and outputs means it is hum-free with whatever you plug into it, it also having exceptionally low noise levels for a valve -based design. There is also a useful attenuator facility which allows matching with more sensitive power amps.

Any other questions about this wonderful pre-amp, or to discuss delivery, etc., just PM me. If you are not a full member here, note that I am also registered on some other forums, with the same nom de guerre, so you can try contacting me there :D

petrat
18-07-2020, 07:30
I have been reminded that EAR will swap the faceplate out at minimal cost for a silver one should people require that to match their system, and also swap knobs, handles etc if the new owner has particular aesthetic preferences.

Audio Al
18-07-2020, 08:49
I'm buying a lottery ticket so hold the front page :D

scotty38
18-07-2020, 08:55

Good shout, I may do the same. This pre has everything I'd want, other than it being more than I'm prepared to spend on a bit of kit it's absolutely perfect.....

petrat
18-07-2020, 09:08

You already 'won the lottery' last week, with that lovely turntable.

petrat
18-07-2020, 09:13
Good shout, I may do the same. This pre has everything I'd want, other than it being more than I'm prepared to spend on a bit of kit it's absolutely perfect.....

Five grand now will seem like a bargain in ten year's time, and the new owner will have had ten years of pleasure in the meantime :D

scotty38
18-07-2020, 09:33
Five grand now will seem like a bargain in ten year's time, and the new owner will have had ten years of pleasure in the meantime :D

You may well be right and I just showed it my wife. As she turned and walked away I am sure I heard something like "Buy your youngest son a car instead..." I suspect a green light will not be forthcoming.

Audio Al
18-07-2020, 11:21
You already 'won the lottery' last week, with that lovely turntable.

Yes :) but , the other millions are missing :(

ovlov854
19-07-2020, 09:33
Sigh............................the one I always wanted but can never afford

:violin::violin::violin:

Audio Al
19-07-2020, 10:26

I won I won :D , but only a luck dip :(

Rosewind
23-07-2020, 09:15
Good luck with the sale! I had one here for a very short while. Did not know that EAR would swich out the front. They offer outstanding service at low cost. That you sell it, makes me wonder what you have gotten or will be getting instead.

petrat
01-08-2020, 20:45
SOLD

WESTLOWER
01-08-2020, 21:10
Well done Peter
Someone got a great preamp

cookstown
12-08-2020, 20:15
Thanks Peter for an easy transaction. Really happy with the 912.