PDA

View Full Version : A&R Cambridge A60 Connections

Mothman
10-07-2010, 15:12
Today I picked up the A60 that I bought of fleabay The speaker connections are different to anything I've seen, however I was not given any connectors by the seller and unfortunately did not realise this until I got home many miles away:doh:. I have emailed the seller asking for the original connectors but in the event that I am unable to get hold of these does anyone know if replacements are sill available? Also if anyone has a photo of what they look like that would be most helpfull.

Photo of the connection points in question
http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=54&pictureid=270

Ta Muchly

Rare Bird
10-07-2010, 15:18
You have one of the very early A60..My Ferrograph has these 2 Pin aswell

If you connect in switched mode you will cut off the speakers when inserting headphone jack, direct wont

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Connector-DELTRON-DIN-2-Pin-Male-Hi-Fi-Speaker-Plug-/190415240770?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2c55a1fe42

The Grand Wazoo
10-07-2010, 15:21
I think these are for the old DIN type plugs (pin & blade) but the sockets are dual purpose - the switched/direct diagram under the socket is a clue?
You can put the plug in with the pin to the left or right depending on whether you want the headphone socket switched or not?

DSJR
10-07-2010, 15:26
You youngsters, who don't reckognise a DIN speaker terminal when you see one :D

As said above, the switched way round disconnects the speakers when headphones are plugged in, the direct way bypassing the headphone socket altogether. Creek did a similar thing with 4mm sockets around this time and I believe A&R followed soon after if I have me dates right.

Nice old amp. A bit slobby in the bass but very involving to listen to. Later ones tautened the bass end up and some of us didn't like it as much..

Rare Bird
10-07-2010, 15:34
You youngsters, who don't reckognise a DIN speaker terminal when you see one :D

As said above, the switched way round disconnects the speakers when headphones are plugged in, the direct way bypassing the headphone socket altogether. Creek did a similar thing with 4mm sockets around this time and I believe A&R followed soon after if I have me dates right.

The later A60 still carried the switched/direct option by 4mm post,
RED (Direct)
WHITE(Switched)

There should be 6,800uF PSU Reservouir caps in that old one that want upping to 10,000uF

Mothman
10-07-2010, 15:35
Wow, thanks Andre & Chris for the quick response. I'll wait 24hrs to see if the seller responds if not then Ill order a couple of the connectors from the link.

Mothman
10-07-2010, 15:45
You youngsters, who don't reckognise a DIN speaker terminal when you see one..

Dave you've made my day, at knocking on the door of 50 it's many a long year since anyone referred to me as a youngster:lol:

My first amp was a Technics bought in 1980 but it didn't have speaker connectors like these, however I vaguely recollect my fathers old Panasonic music centre from the early 70's having some sort of similar plug.

DSJR
10-07-2010, 20:12
Yeah, well I have a very few years on you sir and was also an audiophool at the ripe old age of two :ner:

Mothman
14-07-2010, 20:48
Have now managed to get the DIN speaker connectors from the seller and everything seems to be working OK. My initial impression is one of uncertainty:scratch: I'm using it in my office system to drive a pair of Monitor Audio 9 gold's, vocals and detail are definitely improved but musicaly there seems a distinct lack of warmth and bass seems a bit thin, the amp came with the original 5pin DIN-RCA boot lace cheapo interconnect so maybe swapping this may improve things. Alternatively it could be be down to my ears as prior to this I was using my vintage Marantz 2015 receiver which I guess has what would be considered a warm sound and it certainly seems to punch well above its supposed 15 watt rating. Many more hours listening required me thinks before decision time.

I have also purchased another pair of speakers which I would like to audition in this system. These are German Heco Interior 120S Bookshelf Speakers rated at 4ohms. The speaker operating instructions says they are OK for use with 8ohm amps providing only one pair are connected. Does anyone have experience of using an A60 with 4ohm speakers, was it OK or is it asking for trouble?

The Grand Wazoo
14-07-2010, 20:51
So, what's up with the Marantz, Rich?

Rare Bird
14-07-2010, 21:26
Have now managed to get the DIN speaker connectors from the seller and everything seems to be working OK. My initial impression is one of uncertainty:scratch: I'm using it in my office system to drive a pair of Monitor Audio 9 gold's, vocals and detail are definitely improved but musicaly there seems a distinct lack of warmth and bass seems a bit thin,

A60 do not Lack warmth nor thin..I wouldnt entertain the MA with the A60 personally.

Does anyone have experience of using an A60 with 4ohm speakers, was it OK or is it asking for trouble?

A60 are rated 8-16 Ohm

Mothman
14-07-2010, 21:32
So, what's up with the Marantz, Rich?

Absolutely nothing Chris. the Marantz is from my garage system where it has been connected to a cheap portable DAB radio permanatly tuned to 'Planet Rock' driving and old pair of Mission model 70 mk2 speakers.

When I decided to put a system in the office I bought the MA9's and connected them to my old Technics SU-V2 amp but was less than impressed with the result. I assumed the problem was probably the amp and so after much research on various forums I decided to buy an A60 as these seemed to get more positive comments than most at around my £50 budget. It was only in the intervening week between buying the A60 and collecting it it that I thought to bring the Marantz in and give at whirl and I have to say I was more than surprised as it seems to suit both the MA9's and my ears very well, important lesson learned there I think:doh:.

I am definitely going to give the A60 plenty more time before I decide, maybe it also needs to listened to by someone who is used to their sound and who can decide whether it's performing at it's best.

I purchased the Heco speakers as an alternative listen to the MA9's just in case I didn't like them, they were bit of a blind buy as I could find next to no info about them on the net other than Heco speakers seemed to be reasonably well thought of. I have also been unable to find much info on the MA9's, Monitor Audio have kindly sent me a spec sheet and they say that they were sold in the early 90's but didn't know how much for. I didn't expect much from them as MA seem to get a bit of a caneing on the forums but to my crap hearing they sound pretty good so far, be interesting to see if the Heco's can compete.

Rare Bird
14-07-2010, 21:39
If your really on a tight buget the old Heybrook 'HB-1' sounded great with the 'A60'.

Mothman
14-07-2010, 21:42
[QUOTE=Andre;137383]A60 do not Lack warmth nor thin..I wouldnt entertain the MA with the A60 personally.

Andre, is that because you would consider the MA to be inferior speakers or just not suited to the profile of the A60

Rare Bird
14-07-2010, 22:07
[QUOTE=Andre;137383]A60 do not Lack warmth nor thin..I wouldnt entertain the MA with the A60 personally.

Andre, is that because you would consider the MA to be inferior speakers or just not suited to the profile of the A60

Nothing to do with inferior, I've used MA with the A60 didnt like em.I tried R352 with both the A60 & The Mission Cyrus one at the time, i prefer the later with em...

No word of a lie the best buget system i've ever had was the A&R 'A60' with Heybrook 'HB1' on 'HSB1' stands.Early Rega 'Planer 3'/'R200'/'Nagaoka 'MP11'..This was a second system used in the spare room for donkies years, my disabled mate now ownes this system although he insisted i fitted a 'RB300' to replace the 'R200' :scratch:

This system would see off far more expensive gear these days.

Mothman
14-07-2010, 22:17
Thanks for the advice Andre, there's a pair of cheap HB1's on fleabay at the moment which are not to far from me but the surrounds look well shot and I'm not sure my skills run to refoaming them.

Rare Bird
14-07-2010, 22:20
Thanks for the advice Andre, there's a pair of cheap HB1's on fleabay at the moment which are not to far from me but the surrounds look well shot and I'm not sure my skills run to refoaming them.

In that case PM Guy(Pursesound) he supplies replacement units or if money tight you could just buy some new surrounds for the units..

http://www.puresound.info/id2.html

Mothman
14-07-2010, 22:26
In that case PM Guy(Pursesound) he supplies replacement units or if money tight you could just buy some new surrounds for the units..

http://www.puresound.info/id2.html

Thanks, will do.