PDA

View Full Version : Harbeth 7ES owners help please

AlanB
09-07-2010, 13:49
I live in Stourbridge in the West Midlands. As you probably are aware there are NO Harbeth dealers in the area.
I have a hankering for the Harbeth 7ES but would of course like to hear a pair before dipping my foot.
Is there an owner within 50 miles of me who would allow me to visit so I may 'have a listen'?
Thanks

DSJR
09-07-2010, 16:20
Don't expect Harbeth to open up loads of UK dealers very soon, as this would be a recipe for disaster (it happened before).

I'd also tap up HiFi dave for his opinion on the Monitor 30 as well, as this has a slightly livelier balance apparently (I'm not due to visit for a marathon session until August).

hifi_dave
09-07-2010, 16:33
Alan,
It's a major purchase, something you don't do often. Get in your car and have a day out......:)

Tarzan
09-07-2010, 19:29
Do not do it Al- l did and look what happened to me;) any thing you want to know just ask- or come and listen, oh and bring the Dialogue Two along as well:) Great speakers

DSJR
09-07-2010, 19:41
Harbeths tend to be keepers too and you very rarely see used ones..

Alex_UK
09-07-2010, 21:47
If the A14 is kind, Stourbridge to Saffron Walden is 2.5 hours, and I hear hifi_dave has the best biscuit selection is Essex :) Let us know when you're going and we'll make it an AoS day trip ;)

AlanB
10-07-2010, 08:10
Thanks for the input guys. The Monitor 30's would dominate my smallish listening room which is why I am looking at the 7's. Even the 5's would be too big.
Also years ago a 5 hour round trip wouldn't have fazed me but at 71 with a dicky ticker it's a major thing to take on. SWMBO would have a fit!!
No guys with 7's in my vicinity? Not possible is it?
:brickwall:

Labarum
10-07-2010, 08:22
Don't expect Harbeth to open up loads of UK dealers very soon, as this would be a recipe for disaster (it happened before).

Why would it be a disaster, Dave?

Tarzan
10-07-2010, 18:10
Al, l have me Harbs in a 12f x 11 f room and they sound really well, they will work in suprisingly small rooms:).

DSJR
10-07-2010, 20:04
I thought the Monitor 30's were Compact 7 size, give or take?????

Brian, firstly, I think my post elsewhere has been removed (I don't know why...) :(

The reason why it's not good to have loads of dealers is that only 20% of them will do any business (the 80/20 rule). The remainder will discount and cheapen the range to high heaven, as almost happened in the 90's.

Harbeth's main market is the far east, where Alan Shaw has an almost legendary status and very full order books. There aren't that many Harbeths sold in the UK, so they're able to pull the odd pairs out of existing orders where necessary. Buying any of these is an audio life-affirming event IMO, as my big ATC purchase was in 1993 and they're built to last a lifetime and stay in the original buyer's posession to boot - something to savour...

hifi_dave
10-07-2010, 21:02
Thanks for the input guys. The Monitor 30's would dominate my smallish listening room which is why I am looking at the 7's. Even the 5's would be too big.
Also years ago a 5 hour round trip wouldn't have fazed me but at 71 with a dicky ticker it's a major thing to take on. SWMBO would have a fit!!
No guys with 7's in my vicinity? Not possible is it?
:brickwall:

The Monitor 30 is a smaller speaker than the 7...:doh: