PDA

View Full Version : SWAP: My Puresound P10 valve phonostage for NVA Phono2

scoobs
07-07-2010, 07:03
My P10 is in mint condition, hardly any use and comes with all accessories and manual.

Thanks

DSJR
07-07-2010, 15:12
Are you sure about this, kind sir?????

scoobs
07-07-2010, 16:33
Well I'm sure it's in mint nick.
Having flirted with valves for a couple of years I have gone back to what I know and like...RD has welcomed me back into the bossom in his inimitable way.

I wanted to keep this fine piece of kit in my rig, alas I'm now powering my active speakers with a passive NVA pre-amp through 5 meters of interconnect and there is not enough gain from the p10 to achieve optimum results, so unfortunately it has to go.

The Black Adder
07-07-2010, 17:53
The Phono 2 is an amazing bit of kit... Just sold mine (just had to) and want another one now.

DSJR
07-07-2010, 19:20
Well I'm sure it's in mint nick.
Having flirted with valves for a couple of years I have gone back to what I know and like...RD has welcomed me back into the bossom in his inimitable way.

I wanted to keep this fine piece of kit in my rig, alas I'm now powering my active speakers with a passive NVA pre-amp through 5 meters of interconnect and there is not enough gain from the p10 to achieve optimum results, so unfortunately it has to go.

RD will pee all over me I suspect, but I still feel that 5m of interconnects into a modern active speaker needs a decent line-buffer first, which would give you the gain you need. Don't take notice of comments about too many electrical components in the audio chain - I'm not criticising at all, but have you seen the number of transistors and other components inside his amps? If the design is right and with modern components, a well sorted line buffer (a race tuned MF X10-D in whatever versions) ought to be tried first, I believe.

scoobs
07-07-2010, 19:53
That's interesting Dave. I did triffle briefly with a MF X-pre v3 and found it boring and quickly passed it on. I hear what your your saying about race tuned but it's hassle of finding someone etc. I have also tried a chi-fi class A pre, and that was dull as ditch-water too, even when broken in.

I contacted RD prior to getting the passive pre, and estabished that my active speakers input impedance matched exactly the 48kohm of NVA power amps, and having had previous experience with his amps, it looked good. Having used the pre with my speakers for the first time yesterday with CD as source I am in no doubt that I have made the right decision, there is an awful lot of musical information coming through plenty of gain / headroom etc and it sounds even less constrained than my previous uber minimalist valve pre, it sounds right and has synergy in my configuration, and I dont think I can better it without spending a whole lot more cash.