PDA

View Full Version : Hello from stevieg

stevieg
06-07-2010, 21:53
Hello all. I major in vinyl, but the music's the thing. Currently running Thorens 150, Quad II, ELS57s, but am downsizing into a a static caravan real soon now.

Current vinyl faves Eno and Harmonia, Brainticket Celestial ocean.

But that's just today.

Alex_UK
06-07-2010, 22:05
Hi Steve - so that'll be your 'Statics for sale, then. Wish I had the room to give them a try, but best of luck with them. Hope you'll stick around a while in the meantime - welcome to AoS.

Techno Commander
06-07-2010, 23:13
Hi Steve.

I'd find a way to hang the ESL's from the ceiling (upside down) and fold them up when not in use.

But I am unconventional like that. :)

Marco
07-07-2010, 13:25
Hi Steve,

Welcome to AOS! Where are you from? :)

Marco.

stevieg
07-07-2010, 21:04
Techno Commander - not sure the vampire bat idea is a goer in a static caravan!

Marco I'm in Leeds but moving to North Wales.

Marco
07-07-2010, 21:07
Hi Steve,

Cheers - that's interesting! Where in North Wales are you moving to? :cool:

Marco.

Jonboy
07-07-2010, 21:10
Hello Steve and welcome from another Quad fan, there is a few of us around here

stevieg
07-07-2010, 21:58
Near Bangor, above Bethesda, Gwynedd. I'll still have the quad IIs, so not entirely de quadified.

Current vinyl Fave Lowell Fulson Low Society, but that's just today.

Marco
08-07-2010, 07:58
Nice one - that's not far from me. When you move we should have a sesh sometime :cool:

Marco.

DSJR
08-07-2010, 08:32
Welcome. I hope you find the weather in Nth Wales to your liking. I love it, wifey doesn't, so we haven't ventured up there to visit my family for ten years or so now :(

Seriously, the 57's aren't stupidly heavy, so please consider the suspended/hinged cantilever idea. If this is impossible, then some Harbeth's or smaller 10" DC Tannoys (not the very old screechy stuff unless they're totally rebuilt) would do very well with the II's I reckon.

P.S. If you're still using the old Quad preamp, I'd strongly recommend changing to a Croft, 'cos you haven't heard your albums yet.... The baby Croft at £300 - £350 if currently available will blow the Quad 22 away - been there and done it! - Phono to Jones interconnects can be obtained (or Mark Grant could fabricate summat for you I'm sure ;))

Marco
08-07-2010, 08:41
Hi Dave,

Welcome. I hope you find the weather in Nth Wales to your liking. I love it, wifey doesn't, so we haven't ventured up there to visit my family for ten years or so now :(

With respect, mate, you're far too soft!

Not that she'd ever dream of doing it, but I know what I'd tell Del if she showed that attitude when I wanted to visit my family in Scotland (which is a damn sight colder than North Wales), and it wouldn't be pleasant!! "Bugger you", or words to that effect (!), would feature somewhere in my vocabulary..... ;)

And she would be the same with me if the situation were reversed!

Anyway, what's to stop you from going yourself to visit if you want? :scratch:

Marco.

stevieg
08-07-2010, 10:44
It's actually getting enough space round the quads that's the problem - they would be the world's biggest headphones. I'm not using the quad preamp, but a chinese line pre and ming da phono. It sounds OK. Quads are modded (reversibly) for phono connection. Golden Dragon KT66s - also not bad. I wore the GECs out playing tunes. Sorry about that folks. I've got some speakers to be going on with that I built years ago WAD KLS2s with Monacor RBT95 replacement tweeters, and some Jordan Watts twin module floor standers. I'm not a big chop and change guy - if it's working well that will generally do me, although I will take the time and effort to get there, I just don't fiddle and tweak after.

Marco, sesh would be fun when I'm settled. It's fun to see great sound achieved by very different methods.