PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Cheap bookshelf speaker(s)

nonuffin
16-06-2020, 21:18
I need either a single speaker rated at 6 ohm or a pair of 8 ohm speakers, but must be cheap.

I bet some of you have a project pair of speakers up in the loft or out in the shed that you mean to "do up one day" but not got around to it :lol:

I have one JPW ML310 so need just another one to make the pair, or a pair of 8 ohm bookshelf speakers. Not looking for mint condition boxes as they are going high up on shelves.

Either way it MUST be cheap as it is for my local community centre.

Wotcha got?

Lurch
17-06-2020, 05:00
Got a pair of JPW Sonatas £50 Inc postage.

nonuffin
17-06-2020, 08:50
Got a pair of JPW Sonatas £50 Inc postage.

Very kind John, but that's not as "cheap" as my budget dictates :lol:

Geoff101
17-06-2020, 11:56
I've got a pair of Mission M71 or Celestion 3 which I'd be happy to donate to a good cause, but you'd have to get them to you from Oxfordshire which might be problematic.

nonuffin
17-06-2020, 12:12
I've got a pair of Mission M71 or Celestion 3 which I'd be happy to donate to a good cause, but you'd have to get them to you from Oxfordshire which might be problematic.

Thank you Geoff.

I can easily organise a courier collection and there is no need to get too precious with wrapping them. Just some cardboard wrapped around and taped up will be fine. Like I said in my original post, the cosmetics are not that important and if they get dinged in transit it's not the end of the world, provided they still work.

Geoff101
17-06-2020, 16:51
OK - let me see if I can find packaging when I get home later, or tomorrow morning.

Geoff

Lawrence001
17-06-2020, 16:53
Small packages will likely be thrown and dropped, it's quite possible the magnets will dislocate and the voice coil rub if it can move at all. I speak from personal experience.

vintagesteve
17-06-2020, 17:28
JPW Mini Monitors, £25 plus shipping: https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?62335-JPW-Mini-Monitors-black-ash-mint-condition

nonuffin
17-06-2020, 18:18
Small packages will likely be thrown and dropped, it's quite possible the magnets will dislocate and the voice coil rub if it can move at all. I speak from personal experience.

I had a pair of Arcam Altos that had been wrecked by the courier. The cast alloy basket on one of the bass drivers was smashed to bits :steam: Luckily that Arcam supplied with me with another bass driver free of charge :whistle: Needless to say I have never used that courier since.

nonuffin
17-06-2020, 18:19
OK - let me see if I can find packaging when I get home later, or tomorrow morning.

Geoff

You are an absolute star Geoff.

Geoff101
18-06-2020, 08:52
I've scoured the garage but I'm afraid that I don't have a suitable box for packaging. As others have said above, there's no point shipping them without as they will just get wrecked. I once had a speaker that I sent in original packaging dropped so hard that the magnet sheared off the back of the main driver.

You're still welcome to them if you can get someone to collect.

nonuffin
18-06-2020, 10:08
I've scoured the garage but I'm afraid that I don't have a suitable box for packaging. As others have said above, there's no point shipping them without as they will just get wrecked. I once had a speaker that I sent in original packaging dropped so hard that the magnet sheared off the back of the main driver.

You're still welcome to them if you can get someone to collect.

I have some large boxes with plenty of packing materials which I can courier up to you Geoff.

Will continue this via PM later.

nonuffin
18-06-2020, 19:37
All sorted now chaps. Thanks for your interest :thumbsup: