PDA

View Full Version : ZeroStat Gun - do they work?

Weeman1973
07-06-2020, 11:37
Getting a bit of static on my Clearaudio Emotion TT as not using any mat on the acrylic platter.

Anybody use a ZeroStat - are they any good?

struth
07-06-2020, 11:44
Yes, they help. As do anti static inners

Weeman1973
07-06-2020, 12:34
Thanks Grant.

My TT (Clearaudio BlueMotion) is grounded at the centre bearing / spindle as well as arm.

I don’t hear static through the cartridge but when I come to take the record of the platter you can feel the force of the static that’s built up as well as the crackling etc.

I use Nagaoka sleeves and also clean records using the Disco-AntiStat system as well as a carbon brush before I spin them.

prestonchipfryer
07-06-2020, 14:24
I've found this brush to be very effective and better than the Zerostat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nobsound-Turntable-Cleaning-Anti-Static-Cleaner/dp/B07D29X94S

topoxforddoc
07-06-2020, 16:06
NOo need to use one, if you wet clean your record on a RCM

struth
07-06-2020, 16:50
I always statted my records after I washed them.
I had another beside tt but wasn't used so much

Barry
07-06-2020, 17:31
I just use a Decca carbon fibre record brush. I don't use any aftermarket platter mat (though I have tried a few), and simply rely on the manufacturer's rubber mat.

I rarely got problems with static, and now I don't have any at all - once I realised that one should touch the metal work of the TT with one hand, whilst holding and using the record brush in the other.

Having a frequently watered pot plant near your TT can help with static problems.

AV8
07-06-2020, 19:13
Having a frequently watered pot plant near your TT can help with static problems.

In what way ?

Genuine question, like to know more.

Barry
07-06-2020, 19:46
The increased local humidity of the air in the vacinity of the TT will help neutralise the static. It's not a guaranteed solution, but can work in some situations.

AV8
07-06-2020, 20:22
Thanks, will give this a try.

guy
08-06-2020, 08:49
If you do try a plant nearby, try a fern ("maidenhair"?) - they like to be damp and don't mind being in the shade.

edit - if you do try a Zerostat remember that it is important to squeeze and release gently, no click of the trigger (I didn't find much difference on vinyl, but they do make a candle flame move :))

struth
08-06-2020, 08:56
yes you have to squeeze in AND out very slowly to produce the pos ions, then the neg ions needed to neutralize static. done right it does work well, but obviously there can be reasons why it isnt as effective in some situations.

bosa
13-06-2020, 19:23
I clean all new records as they generally come charged then onto MoFi liners. If I have a dog hair on a record (hazard here) then before Zerostat it will not blow off. After a zap it will go away with a quick blow (!) so I would say it works.