PDA

View Full Version : Inheritance Tracks

The Grand Wazoo
05-07-2010, 23:10
OK, so here's one for you.
In case you don't know what the hell Inheritance tracks are/is, it's a slot on Saturday Live (Radio 4, Saturday mornings) where a guest gets the chance to nominate 2 tracks. The first is one that has been 'inherited' from family and the second is the track that you would like to pass on for your children to inherit. Both selections come with an explanation of why the track is special.

So just as an example from the Saturday Live website:
The Fast Show and Cold Feet's John Thomson chose the theme from "Rupert The Bear" and Stanley Clarke's "Life Is Just A Game".

I've been thinking about this for ages and still can't decide - it's bloody tricky!
So I'm going to settle for:

Music I Inherited: Mozart's Horn Concerto No. 4 in E Flat Major 3rd Movement (Rondo)
Because my Dad used to play the Flanders & Swan records 'At the Drop of a Hat' and 'At the Drop of Another Hat'. At the time I thought they were a bit crap, but this tune stuck because of the words that they had put to it in their version called 'Ill Wind'

"I once had a whim & I had to obey it,
To buy a French horn in a secondhand shop,
I polished it up & I started to play it
In spite of the neighbours who begged me to stop"

Music To Pass On: Love - Forever Changes
I've actually kind of already had this conversation with my daughter. She has generally very good taste in music (& that doesn't mean she just likes what I like!) with a broad spectrum of styles but she hates this album with a passion. I've told her that some time in the future I'm sure she will hear a track or two from it & be compelled to get herself a copy, purely because it was played so much as the backdrop to her early life. Then she'll realise she really loves it, but she just heard it once too often! How could you not love such a masterpiece?

So what about your inheritance tracks?

The Vinyl Adventure
05-07-2010, 23:26
'Song Song Blue' by Neil Diamond
Used to listen to Neil diamond in the car with my dad when he picked me up in the evenings on his way back from work... Happy days, it makes me well up a bit to listen to, but in a nice way!

'How does a duck know?' by the crash test dummies
Because they will like it when they are children, then it will be not cool enough and way to cheesy in their teens. Then when they get older they will realise it's a gem of a fantastic album!

Love forever changes will also be passed down!

The Grand Wazoo
05-07-2010, 23:31
Your reason for the choice of the Crash Test Dummies shows what a soppy git you are Hamish - it also proves you'll make a great Dad!

Batty
05-07-2010, 23:32
24 hours from Tulsa.

Mum and Dad loved this song, it was always playing in the house as I grew up. I just love it, it reminds me of my parents the way they were when they were young.

No one can, Marillion.

My son hates it, but hopefully it will do for him what 24 hours does for me.

The Vinyl Adventure
05-07-2010, 23:34
:)