PDA

View Full Version : Album Club, June 2020: The Script - 'The Script'

Album Club
31-05-2020, 21:38
The Album Club choice for June 2020 comes courtesy of Allen (Audio Al) with The Script's eponymous first album. As always, please listen to the album in its entirety before you comment and vote.

The Script - 'The Script'

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51aflg0%2BlvL._AC_.jpg

The Script are an Irish rock band formed in 2007 in Dublin, Ireland.

They first released music in 2008.

This is a self titled album.

The band consists of :-

Daniel O'Donoghue - lead vocalist and keyboardist

Mark Sheehan - lead guitarist

Glen Power - drummer.

I have removed my 80’s 90’s blinkers with this selection and come more up to date .

Danny has a stunning voice, you can understand every word he sings crystal clear. Outstanding vocal ability with so much passion in what he does.

The band gel extremely well having been together for so long.

The lyrics are very good (if explicit at times) and have meaning in many tracks , Hope you like this as I think it’s excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDy_YHKqyoo&list=PL1588AAE92ADD33E4

Ian7633
03-06-2020, 19:22
I've had a couple of listens now and I've fried to like it but just not my cup of tea. I have to agree on the quality of music and the very good vocals, the lyrics are well thought out too, not the usual mush churned out at times. Production is excellent, making the whole package classy. 8 out of 10 for the high standards.

Jac Hawk
04-06-2020, 09:02
Quite liked it, there's a bit of Ed Sheeran, a bit of RnB and some rap, although this was released a couple of years before Ed Sheeran hit the scene so you could say he was influenced by The Script and not the other way round, overall an enjoyable listen and a solid 9 out of 10

Scorps
04-06-2020, 20:53
Easy 9/10 for me as like this band but prefer #3 or no sound without silence. Still great album.

Audio Al
05-06-2020, 02:35
Easy 9/10 for me as like this band but prefer #3 or no sound without silence. Still great album.

Both albums ordered vinyl :)

Pete812
23-06-2020, 00:51
Nice sounding/well made, but not me really; too much like Pop.
To me it sounded like it was someones first album, where they crammed in all their ideas etc and have not learn't to craft a song fully.Thought that is is over sung on many tracks.
I gave it 7/10
May give them another go with #3 though.

AJSki2fly
26-06-2020, 13:19
I was obviously aware of the Script but had never knowingly listened to their music, this was a rather pleasant surprise. Mr O'Donoghue who seems to write the majority of the songs has a natural turn for words and lyrics, and obviously he and the band are accomplished musicians that put very good melodies and harmonies to them.

What I found interesting was the mix of influences I picked up on, Rusty Halo had a Police feel and at times O'Donoghue's voice even reminded me of Sting. Then "Talk You Down" reminded me of a track from David Gray's - White Ladder, primarily the beat and drums. "The End Where I Begin" had a Madonna feel from Ray of Light. Another track distinctly reminded me of a Take That crafted song, in a good way I would add.

A very interesting and varied album, which is well recorded/produced presumably due to Mark Sheehan and Danny O'Donoghue experience from working in a studio in the USA. So I give a 9/10 and will consider buying this in Vinyl and also there most recent offering.

A good choice.

ZackJones
20-07-2020, 06:15
I really liked 10/10, I'll be sure to add a sheet to my play. I agree on the first commentator, something that looks like Ed Sheeran...