PDA

View Full Version : Help required MDAC+ and Bluesound Node 2i

supapeet
28-05-2020, 22:35
Hi,

I have just borrowed an Audiolab MDAC + to use with my Node 2i. Problem is I am not getting any sound so just wanted to check this out / get some help. The Dac is powered up, RCA connectors (unbalanced line out) to the inputs on the amp and a digital optical cable to the input on the Dac. The same digital optical cable is in the output from the Node 2i.

The Dac on the Node has been bypassed in settings so that it knows there is an external Dac in use. All the volume settings on amp and Dac are up. I am using Tidal on an iPad with Bluetooth connection to the Node.

No sound. I disconnected everything to cut the Dac out of the loop and all working fine. The only problem I can think of is the optical cable is damaged. I don’t have a coaxial lead so can’t check it.

Just one other thing “unlocked” is flashing on the display of the MDAC

Any thoughts?

Thanks

struth
29-05-2020, 00:18
If its not locked then the sound will be muted until it locks. Do you have correct input selected on mdac? Yes, cable could be an issue too

supapeet
29-05-2020, 02:16
Grant thanks. Yes I have selected the Opt 1 input. I’ve been doing some digging and maybe the audio drivers need to be re installed? The loan didn’t come with the cd rom and the last time this Dac was used was 18 months ago so I’ve been on the Audiolab website and will try that tomorrow. Thanks again.

struth
29-05-2020, 03:51
Audio drivers are usually for Windows pcs. Could it be outputting wrong, ie dsd not pcm or the like.(ignore that bit)
Maybe the firmware of dac needs updating too.

Let us know how u get on

struth
29-05-2020, 03:55
You could also try the cable and dac by connecting yo another optical source.. A TV etc to see if it locks. It would tell you something if it does work.
You need to know if it's the node or mdac that isn't working. If both are then why they are not talking

supapeet
29-05-2020, 11:21
I downloaded the drivers from the Audiolab site and connected the laptop and Dac as per the instruction. Opened the set up exe file and it downloaded as you would expect. Set the Dac up again with the optical cable, still showing unlocked and no sound. Used the USB A setting on the Dac to connect an iPad to play a saved music file and still the same. Used the USB connection for the laptop and didn’t get the unlocked display but no sound even though the laptop showed the sound was playing using the Audiolab drivers. Other than contacting Audiolab I can’t think of anything else other than to ask if the cd rom the Dac came with is available from the person who lent it to me.

Getgaff
29-05-2020, 17:25
Change the jitter rejection settings of the MDAC and see if that helps, try High Bandwidth to start with.

Manual here if needed: https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/media/audiolab/m-dac-plus/mdacplus-man.pdf

Getgaff
29-05-2020, 17:39
Hi,
The Dac on the Node has been bypassed in settings so that it knows there is an external Dac in use. All the volume settings on amp and Dac are up. I am using Tidal on an iPad with Bluetooth connection to the Node.
This confuses me - I can’t see a setting to bypass the Node’s DAC, you don’t need to do anything here. All outputs are simultaneous.
Are you using BlueOS or the Tidal app? Your iPad should be the controller using BlueOS, there’s no need to stream Tidal via Bluetooth to the Node 2i.

WESTLOWER
29-05-2020, 18:30
i didn't think you could bypass the node dac!

scotty38
29-05-2020, 19:09
Yeah you can just use one of the digital outs. You can tell the node there’s an external dac too for mqa .

supapeet
29-05-2020, 19:24
I’ve changed the Jitter rejection to High Bandwidth. I’m using the BluOS app on the iPad which connect with the Node using Bluetooth, click on the app, select choose your music, I have Tidal and Spotify as options, choose Tidal, select music and play.

In terms of bypassing the Node’s Dac, when you open the App, choose Select a Player, select audio settings, disable tone controls, enable output level fixed, it then allows you to enable MQA external Dac.

I’ve tried enabling the external Dac and not enabling it and still no sound. Whichever input Inchoose on the MDAC the display flashes kHz, then unlocked and repeats this.

At a loss what to do to be honest.

Getgaff
29-05-2020, 19:32
My guess is the optical cable is knackered.

supapeet
29-05-2020, 20:15
In the menu there is a factory reset button, I’m getting desperate.

supapeet
29-05-2020, 20:24
Gareth, I got hold of a digital coaxial cable today and no luck with that either or any other input. I’ve even changed the rca phono lead to the amp but no joy. The Dac clearly can’t find any digital signals otherwise the display would show the output sampling frequency of the file, instead it just says unlocked which means it can’t lock onto a signal.

I’m unsure about pressing the factory reset, I don’t know the dealer the Dac was purchased from and there is no support on the Audiolab website, in fact the instruction manual is pretty poor to be honest as it doesn’t refer to any troubleshooting or what a factory reset would do.

I can’t get hold of the cd rom that came with the Dac but can only assume it was loaded as the Dac was working over 18 months ago but hasn’t been used since.

Thanks to everyone for their help and support so far.

Getgaff
29-05-2020, 20:41
Try the factory reset, it won’t do any harm

scotty38
29-05-2020, 21:35
You have the node plugged into the dac and the dac into your amp, correct? What do you need the cd rom for?

supapeet
29-05-2020, 22:07
Martin that’s right, Node into Dac and the Dac into the amp. The only reason I referred to the CD was because reading through the manual it refers to loading the supplied cd into a pc and usb connecting to the MDAC. I assume this downloads the audio drivers to the pc but wondered if there was firmware or software to the Dac. The manual is poor and doesn’t sufficiently explain. I don’t have the cd.

Maybe factory reset is the way to go.

Thanks for your help so far.

supapeet
29-05-2020, 23:41
Just found this on Roon Labs website from March 2018, exactly the same issue as I’m having.

Highly unlikely but don’t suppose any MDAC Plus owners ever encountered any issues where the DAC stops locking onto any frequency and displays an odd actual frequency of 19 Bit PCM/1.011m ??

Was working fine (HQ Player/Roon) Sunday morning - but in the afternoon this odd behaviour started.

When playing in any application it intermittently displays the above or unlocked. In MAC OS it all looks fine and the music players (A+, Roon, HQ Player) show the tracks playing but I get no sound at all :frowning:

Tried USB, Optical out and multiple reboots, firmware update and reset to factory settings.

Pretty sure mine is faulty and am shipping it off to hopefully be repaired under warranty, but thought would post here on the off chance!

supapeet
29-05-2020, 23:43
Roon requires you to open an account for £9.99 a month, which I haven’t got so can’t see any replies