PDA

View Full Version : Our friend's Sikh wedding

goraman
04-07-2010, 18:48
Our freinds Bobby and Karamjeet got married yesterday,If you have never seen a Sikh wedding it's a beautiful ceremony.

goraman
04-07-2010, 18:58
At the reception men are on one side and women on the other.
There was alot of Crown royal and beer,food and more food.
The woman sip soft drinks an tea and gossip.
The men tell jokes and pick on the groom.
At least till the cutting of the cake,
The teens and kids can't sit with the men,but find there own fun.

Barry
04-07-2010, 19:19
I haven't been to a Sikh wedding, but have attended a Hindu wedding.

Fascinating - very colourful and exotic. What surprised me was the general coming and going, the wedding guests chatting and the children running around and playing - all through the most solemn moments for the bride and groom. Quite unlike Christian weddings.

Should also add that the food was great!

Regards

goraman
04-07-2010, 19:37
There is a loosness that is not concidered disrespectful,and it is considered normal for children to run all over the place,because that is what they do.Keeping a 2 year old still seems as unatural to them as trying to keep a chicken from pecking at the ground.

It is hard for us to understand Indian central time,

My freinds where saying if you are 15 min. late to a white mans or Goraman's wedding you will miss it because our weddings are right on time and very fast.
An Indian wedding is useualy over 3 days and if the invite says 9:00am that means people are expected to start showing up around 1:00pm or 2:00pm.
I think when you come from a country with over a billion people you must become slightly less formal to survive,also it's nice not to be rushed through your day all the time.I think i'd rather live their way than like in New York where every second of your life is scheduled to the min.(That is a man made Hell on earth).

BTW my wife did all the bridal henna it took her from 6:00pm till 3:00am to get it all done.She did it for the Bride and 10 ladys in one long sitting.

sluggish
04-07-2010, 21:55
Looks like it was a beautiful ceremony, Jeff. One of my best friends, Harmeet, is a Sikh. I always worry about him feeling awkward when I introduce him to some of my more, urm, rural acquaintances, but he is so warm and engaging he always wins everyones' heart. And boy does he have a way with the ladies - they flock to him!

john blackburn
04-07-2010, 23:27
I guess there was a lot of dancing involved.

John

Macca
04-07-2010, 23:33
There is a loosness that is not concidered disrespectful,and it is considered normal for children to run all over the place,because that is what they do.

Sounds like a wedding reception I went to in Liverpool last year. I bet the Sikh children weren't slugging WKD from the bottle though...

Looks like it was a great event. Interesting people, the Sikhs.

The Grand Wazoo
04-07-2010, 23:38
One of my earliest memories is of a tribal wedding feast in Pakistan. It's a story my Old Man has dined out on for most of my life. There were guys firing rifles into the air and muggins here - The Toddler Wazoo leans over and says for everyone present to hear,
"I was at your wedding too, wasn't I Daddy? ............And there was a man with a gun there too!"

Suffice to say, that if he had been present at his own shotgun wedding, he wouldn't have been tellng the story between glugs of G&T for the next 40-odd years!

Alex_UK
05-07-2010, 08:50
Looks like a great time, Jeff.

We have Indian friends, but missed their wedding as they went back home for the event. We went round when they got back, and a crate of wedding videos came out (I kid you not!) - as Jeff says, Indian weddings last several days! (We didn't watch them all though!)

We were lucky enough to attend their son's "christening" - which was one heck of a party, but only one day/night! And the food... proper Indian cooking - yum!

Techno Commander
05-07-2010, 09:35
I provided a laser show for an Indian wedding reception maybe 5 years ago. Very friendly people and the food was stunning. :)

The Vinyl Adventure
05-07-2010, 11:42
Before I moved house my local shop run by mr and mrs virk and there kids; a sihk family... They were often asking me if I would photograph at sihk weddings, I didn't really understand why they were asking until they told me how different they were from the traditional English weddings. They sound amazing fun, I have bo idea why we have such boring samey weddings in this country and why breaking of tradition is so questioned!
I have been to a LOT of weddings in the last few years, there is nothing wrong with then as such, but I find it odd that changing the routine for somthing so minor as having the speaches before the meal instead of after (a much more practicle arangement) can cause ao much fuss...
I think a lot could and should be taken from other cultures marriage ceremonies. We are far to conservative in this country when it comes to that sort of thing!
Me and Hannah want to do somthing different, we have talked about breaking tradition as much as possible... But we might just go and get married on a beach somewhere hot and then just have a missive party over here....

I love the chicken/childeren analogy Jeff! How right that is... On a happy day of celebration, why shouldn't be kids allowed to be doing what they do best and what makes them happy?!... Hannah wants our dogs at our wedding, so if they are running around like the plonkers they are, hopefully it will be just as right for childeren to do the same!

Effem
05-07-2010, 12:25
Awesome photos I must say, especially the bride and groom.

Amazing as well are the hand paintings and it's really mindblowing how someone can be so steady handed after that many hours!

Alex_UK
05-07-2010, 18:27
Me and Hannah want to do somthing different, we have talked about breaking tradition as much as possible... But we might just go and get married on a beach somewhere hot and then just have a missive party over here....

Do what YOU want - it's your wedding - both me and Sue were married before, big white wedding, blew thousands - not worth the aggro, we had a lovely little wedding 2nd time around - no speeches, no formalities (I was the only one wearing a tie, most people were in jeans) - just a nice meal and a great party in the local. Do it your way, its your day.

goraman
05-07-2010, 18:50
Do what YOU want - it's your wedding - both me and Sue were married before, big white wedding, blew thousands - not worth the aggro, we had a lovely little wedding 2nd time around - no speeches, no formalities (I was the only one wearing a tie, most people were in jeans) - just a nice meal and a great party in the local. Do it your way, its your day.

I second Alex(WORDS OF WISDOM).

My own word of advise is no matter what you guys do HANNA MUST BE MADE TO FEEL IT IS HER DAY!!!!! The bride MUST be Qween for a day!!! or you will be reminded of it every anneversery till you die.
I promise this is a trueisum you can't escape,if there is femail DNA in her blood.

The Vinyl Adventure
05-07-2010, 19:25
oh yeah, she is well in charge!... im gonna let her lead the way, i dont want to get in trouble... although we did think an-bout applying for that "dont tell the bride" tv programme... mainly for the £12K really and im sure i know hannah well enough.... well ... maybe.... i know the dress she wants anyway.... bloody Jenny Packham int it... and hannah isnt even into designer stuff... they are nice dresses though to be fair!!

The Grand Wazoo
05-07-2010, 19:29
The bride MUST be Qween for a day!!! or you will be reminded of it every anneversery till you die.
I promise this is a trueisum you can't escape,if there is femail DNA in her blood.

Well Jeff, that kind of depends on the bride.
When we got married it was just us & the two witnesses. No rings because neither of us wear rings. And a cuppa tea in the restaurant round the corner afterwards. Back to work later in the afternoon. We've been married for 18 years, together for 4 more & best mates for many more before that.

......by the way, I know my wife has female DNA because we've got a daughter!

Oh, & it cost less than 50 quid all in!

The Vinyl Adventure
05-07-2010, 19:29
talking of sihks... does anyone know Hermy the yamaha rep... that guy... ... ... he's tapped i swear! he used to come to our shop... despite knowning we had absolutly no buying power and chat to us for ages ... sometimes he even talked about yamaha products...
got me in trouble once too... tried to give me a staff deal without permission from my boss... ... good bloke mind, sorted out my yamaha cd player for my when it broke... although the replacemnt he gave me was graded and broke just out of g'tee...

kcc123
06-07-2010, 11:19
Amazing ceremony, Very interesting indeed!
They must have spent a fortune on their wedding.