PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Ultimate 'Oomph' Bundle

Marco
16-05-2020, 09:05
Just upgraded to this (special deal for customers with an existing VIP package), as it seemed rude not to for less than £5 a month extra onto our existing monthly payment:)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/923/EGQE5K.png

Seems to be working ok..:eyebrows:

Details here: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bundles/ultimate-oomph-bundle

Gaz, ya just gots ta do it, if ya hasn't gone and done it already:D

Marco.

struth
16-05-2020, 09:07
but do you need the speed? most servers cant get anywhere near that:ner:

Marco
16-05-2020, 09:38
Lol, of course not, but it's nice to have it! Will I ever drive my car at 165mph (the claimed top speed now after tuning)? Unlikely, but it's nice to know I could, if there was an appropriate road (or race track) available...:D;)

As I said, mate, for less than an extra fiver a month, plus Premier Sports thrown in, which if Scottish footy ever gets going again, means I can watch all the SC games for free), it was a no-brainer:)

Marco.

struth
16-05-2020, 09:42
Lol, certainly not, but it's nice to have it! Will I ever take my car up to 165mph (the claimed top speed, now with tuning)? Unlikely, but it's nice to know I could, if there was an appropriate road (or track) available...:D;)

As I said, mate, for less than an extra fiver a month, plus Premier Sports thrown in for free, which if Scottish footy ever gets going again, means I can watch all the SC games), it was a no-brainer:)

Marco.

sure; and footy will no doubt get going in some form...

Audio Al
16-05-2020, 09:50
WARNING WARNING

£99 a month for 12 months

:eek::doh:

Marco
16-05-2020, 09:53
Just looked £4.37 in total... Yup, hopefully sooner rather than later:)

The other handy thing they chucked in with the package, because I sometimes work from home, was HomeWorks, the service for which is described thus:

Gadget Rescue & Healthcheck

Your own IT team - on call 24/7. Don't sweat the small stuff. Gadget Rescue means you'll always have a team of IT experts on hand - day or night. Plus, we now offer a healthcheck on your equipment every 6 months to make sure your home IT equipment is optimised and working as hard as you, all thanks to Gadget Rescue Healthcheck.

If you have a problem you'd like help with, call Gadget Rescue on 0800 014 7395.

Virgin Media TuneUp

When your WiFi network is at the heart of your home office - you'll want to make sure everything is fine tuned and working at its hardest. With TuneUp, our experts will optimise your Hub and make sure you're getting the optimum broadband speeds for your home - right from the get go.

Details here: https://store.virginmedia.com/discover/broadband/homeworks.html

That could prove handy:cool:

Marco.

Marco
16-05-2020, 09:54
WARNING WARNING

£99 a month for 12 months

:eek::doh:

It's not costing us that though, daftee! That's how much it would normally be.

Marco.

Marco
16-05-2020, 11:00
Basically we're paying £137.22 per month for all of the following (including the above HomeWorks service):

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/5puXK5.png

And it gets used, especially the TV-related stuff!:)

The SIM card thing is interesting, and something Del will be exploring, as I don't really use mobiles, as apparently you can call any landline or mobile number in Europe from the UK, and from anywhere in Europe back to the UK, unlimited, using said SIM card, for ZILCH.

Marco.

Audio Al
16-05-2020, 11:08
:doh: Ruddy nora :eek: for that I would want to be a share owner in VM

Audio Al
16-05-2020, 11:09
It's not costing us that though, daftee! That's how much it would normally be.

Marco.

Classic , I thought you were paying less but no a extra £37 on top :lol::D

struth
16-05-2020, 11:11
business expense:eyebrows:

Marco
16-05-2020, 11:15
:doh: Ruddy nora :eek: for that I would want to be a share owner in VM

Lol - nah, for something considerable worse in every area, a year and a half ago, we were paying Sky nearly £160 a month!!

Bear in mind that, as I'm a mad-daft Celtic fan, I *MUST* be able to watch their live games on TV, on whatever sports TV channel the games are shown on [in HD or UHD], which can either be Sky Sports, BT Sports or Premier Sports, so that's the primary reason why I have the package, and of course also for movies:)

Marco.

Marco
16-05-2020, 11:16

Sorry, I don't follow you....:scratch:

Marco.

Macca
16-05-2020, 11:16

No, that's what it costs to have the full package including Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. I have everything but those two and it is just under a ton a month. Sky Cinema is not worth having and at the moment neither is the Sports.

Marco
16-05-2020, 11:18
business expense:eyebrows:

Lol, nah, just an integral part of the TV/home-cinema system. Worse things to spend yer money on - like constantly dicking around with hi-fi, eh Al?:D:eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

Marco
16-05-2020, 11:20
No, that's what it costs to have the full package including Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. I have everything but those two and it is just under a ton a month. Sky Cinema is not worth having and at the moment neither is the Sports.

Sports at the moment, yes, because of the lockdown, but even if it weren't for that, it would be the close season, so no footy:)

The movie thing is in your personal opinion. We use it all the time, in conjunction with the Virgin Mediastore, and find it excellent.

Virgin Mediastore: https://www.virginmediastore.com/

The TV packages in particular are fab!

Marco.

Audio Al
16-05-2020, 11:21
Lol, nah, just an integral part of the TV/home-cinema system. Worse things to spend yer money on - like constantly dicking around with hi-fi, eh Al?:D:eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

I follow your lead Sir ;)

Marco
16-05-2020, 11:24
Yesh, daftee, but you're about 10 years behind!:lol::eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

Macca
16-05-2020, 11:30
The movie thing is in your personal opinion.

Marco.

Well yeah, obviously. What else would it be. They never show anything I would be interested in watching that's why I don't have it. A lot of the films are years old and are often shown on the other channels anyway, or I've already got the DVD. The pay per view film selection on Virgin is pretty poor too. Really the charge is twice what it should be for the content on offer. If it wasn't for H2, PBS America and History Channel I'd probably cancel it and just have Freeview instead.

struth
16-05-2020, 11:37
Well yeah, obviously. What else would it be. They never show anything I would be interested in watching that's why I don't have it. A lot of the films are years old and are often shown on the other channels anyway, or I've already got the DVD. The pay per view film selection on Virgin is pretty poor too. Really the charge is twice what it should be for the content on offer. If it wasn't for H2, PBS America and History Channel I'd probably cancel it and just have Freeview instead.

i dont have any airing tv.. still i get what i need in other ways.

Marco
16-05-2020, 11:41

Lol, none of which I watch much, as that stuff doesn't really interest me, although H2 can be ok. Shows you how our tastes differ;)

I totally get where you're coming from, but the package suits us, as we're not big enough home-movie fans to justify a subscription to Netflix, and tend to just dip in and out of stuff as we fancy it - or buy the Blu-rays!

So if you pay just under a ton a month for Virgin (I presume that includes your landline calls and rental), how much is your mobile phone contract per month/year?

Marco.

Marco
16-05-2020, 11:43
i dont have any airing tv.. still i get what i need in other ways.

Yups, I know. We watch too many TV series, dramas and suchlike to be able to do without it.

Marco.

rmcin626
16-05-2020, 11:50
We have the VIP package, with a current reduction for the lack of sports .

Macca
16-05-2020, 11:51
Lol, none of which I watch, as none of that stuff really interests me, although H2 can be ok. Shows you how our tastes differ;)

I totally get where you're coming from, but the package suits us, as we're not big enough movie fans to justify a subscription to Netflix, and tend to just dip in and out of stuff as we fancy it - or buy the Blu-rays!

So if you pay just under a ton a month for Virgin (I presume that includes your landline calls and rental), how much is your mobile phone contract per month/year?

Marco.

Mobile is £20 a month.

I first got cable TV in 1996 and back then they used to send you a big TV guide through the post once a month. I didn't opt for the Movie package at the time but I thought I'd check the listing each month and if there were a reasonable amount of films on it that I would watch then I'd pay the extra and subscribe. There was rarely even one film a month. They stopped doing the guide years ago but if I go up to my mother's place she has the cinema package and there's still nothing on it that's worth paying an extra £15 a month for.

Marco
16-05-2020, 12:13
That's fair enough, but I never struggle to find a film I want to watch on Sky (or Virgin) Movies, probably because we have different tastes in films!:D

Plus, we also like to go to the cinema and watch films just as they come out, as in conjunction with a nice meal, curry or whatever, it's always a good night out. Then when it's released, I like buying the 4K Blu-ray of the same film, so I can compare the 'movie experience' I obtained at the cinema with that of my own set up at home.

A bit like going to a gig and buying a recording of the music, to see how it sounds on your system in comparison - get what I mean?:) So that kind of negates watching a lot of stuff via streaming services, which is why Sky + Virgin movies (I also sometimes use Google Play) is 'enough' for us:cool:

Marco.

Marco
16-05-2020, 12:18
Mobile is £20 a month.

So you're essentially only paying about £17 less than me a month, for let's call it, our respective 'communication/visual entertainment packages', as effectively I don't use a mobile phone (no contract, pay-as-you-go SIM, with a £10 top-up lasting me around 6 months), but look at all the stuff I'm getting more in comparison (although I accept much of it wouldn't really interest you).....

Just another way of looking at it, mate;)

Marco.

Marco
16-05-2020, 12:26
We have the VIP package, with a current reduction for the lack of sports .

You should consider upgrading to the same package as me then, Robin, as you'd be eligible. Defo worth it mate for the superior broadband speed and the inclusion of Premier Sports:)

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
16-05-2020, 12:30
We have Sky broadband and Sky Q TV, with Sky Cinema but not Sky Sports, also Netflix and Amazon Prime. Total cost about £110 pm. Oh, and my "communication/visual entertainment" package another £13 pm, sim only :)

rmcin626
16-05-2020, 12:30
You should consider upgrading to the same package as me then, Robin, as you'd be eligible. Defo worth it mate for the superior broadband speed and the inclusion of Premier Sports:)

Marco.

Will have a look Marco, although I think Premier sports coverage very poor.

Marco
16-05-2020, 13:12
Will have a look Marco, although I think Premier sports coverage very poor.

I agree, but just for the Scottish Cup games. You know that cup we've been deprived of winning again this season (because of CV), to complete yet another treble?:D;)

Marco.

Marco
16-05-2020, 13:16
We have Sky broadband and Sky Q TV, with Sky Cinema but not Sky Sports, also Netflix and Amazon Prime. Total cost about £110 pm. Oh, and my "communication/visual entertainment" package another £13 pm, sim only :)

Cool. We found the full package with Sky Q was expensive compared with what Virgin were offering us, and when broadband speed came into the equation, it was a no-brainer to switch. I did prefer the functionality of the Sky Q box, though (and the software/template it ran on), which makes that of the Virgin V6 box look decidedly dated, and at times a little clunky.

As such, accessing Sky Movies with a Sky Q box was an overall more rewarding experience. That's one area where Virgin need to up the ante!

Marco.

Gazjam
16-05-2020, 14:00
Would if I could!

From Virgin Website:
"the M500 broadband option is still only available to customers signing up to a combined broadband and television bundle."

Not interested in their TV or Landline, so will "struggle by" on what I have :D until its available for broadband only Customers.

Just upgraded to this (special deal for customers with an existing VIP package), as it seemed rude not to for less than £5 a month extra onto our existing monthly payment:)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/923/EGQE5K.png

Seems to be working ok..:eyebrows:

Details here: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bundles/ultimate-oomph-bundle

Gaz, ya just gots ta do it, if ya hasn't gone and done it already:D

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
16-05-2020, 14:01
Yeah but you'll get decent broadband, while Sky's is a bit cack.

struth
16-05-2020, 14:08
broadband and line rental is under 30 notes.. plenty fast enough for me

Marco
16-05-2020, 14:27
Would if I could!

From Virgin Website:
"the M500 broadband option is still only available to customers signing up to a combined broadband and television bundle."

Not interested in their TV or Landline, so will "struggle by" on what I have :D until its available for broadband only Customers.

Ah I see, pity. Aye, "struggle by" indeed:lol:

Marco.

Marco
16-05-2020, 14:28
Yeah but you'll get decent broadband, while Sky's is a bit cack.

Is virgin in your area yet, for suitable 'de-flowering'?;)

Marco.

struth
16-05-2020, 14:34
If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?:doh:

Marco
16-05-2020, 14:45
Soz, don't get the relevance of that in the context of the discussion?:scratch:

You're entering (too) cryptic mode again!;)

Marco.

struth
16-05-2020, 14:47

Marco.

lol.. deflowering, and pricking seemed apt... although you spelt it wrong

RobbieGong
16-05-2020, 14:48

Marco.

I believe he is responding with a yes! to your question of post #36 :D

Marco
16-05-2020, 14:59
Yes, but I was replying to Pigsy, not Granty...:doh::)

Marco.

Marco
16-05-2020, 15:00
lol.. deflowering, and pricking seemed apt... although you spelt it wrong

Aye, but ah wisnae talkin' tae you:D

Typo now fixed:)

Marco.

struth
16-05-2020, 15:03
Aye, but ah wisnae talkin' tae you:D

Typo now fixed:)

Marco.

THOUGHT I WAS GETTIN' LEFT OOT:eyebrows:

Marco
16-05-2020, 15:07
I'd never abandon you, baby:kiss:

:D:eyebrows:

Marco.

hifinutt
16-05-2020, 15:08
very impressed by speed of Virgins service recently , ordered new system [100mps basic ] on a friday and fitted by engineer 4 days later in the middle of the covid happenings . brilliant

Marco
16-05-2020, 15:54
Yup, Phil, same here. I received a call out of the blue yesterday around 1pm, from customer services at Virgin, initially just asking if I was satisfied with the service I was receiving, and if not what issues I've had, after which she went onto offer me the package I've now signed up for, outlining the benefits I'd receive, as well as the small increased monthly costs.

The conversation lasted for less than 15 mins. after which I agreed to the new deal. I subsequently received various confirmation emails from Virgin customer services, thanking me for my input and business, and outlining exactly what had been discussed, what I'd signed up for and my new contract, etc.

I was told that the new upgrades would take effect within 24 hours, and at around 1.30am this morning (I was up watching a film), I lost Internet connection for around 3 mins, presuming that the downtime was to allow Virgin to action the upgrades. Therefore once I was back online, I carried out a Speedtest and obtained the superb results I've since posted a screenshot of, and checked to see whether the extra promised channels were available, which they were:)

Then I received a further email this morning, just after 9am, confirming that everything was successfully set up and ready to use, so I can't fault them. Therefore if anyone else here who uses Virgin is eligible for this upgrade, I'd thoroughly recommend it!:cool:

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
17-05-2020, 08:21
Is virgin in your area yet, for suitable 'de-flowering'?;)

Marco.

No it isn't - I wasn't bothered about that as such, but for us the real disadvantage was that Sky had no competition, so negotiating a better deal was always going to be harder. Now there is Netflix, Amazon Prime (and probably others), their 'monopoly' is gone and Anita was able to sort out a good deal with the old Sky Q.

The one thing that really seals the deal with me is Sky Atlantic, can't be without that.

Marco
17-05-2020, 10:41
Lol - the only thing we used to watch on Sky Atlantic was the Sopranos!:D

What's your fav programmes on there, then?

Yup, Sky were also reluctant to lose our business, to the point where they matched Virgin's deal, price wise (dropping over £60 per month on their normal price), but what they couldn't do was match the Broadband speed - which was the deal-sealer for us with Virgin, especially as with Sky we were frequently getting dropouts and downtimes of sometimes up to an hour.

Therefore, ultimately a stable, much faster Internet connection was more important to us than losing Sky Atlantic. Plus, with Virgin, BT Sports was included in the sports package, whereas with Sky's it wasn't - and so that was game over...

Overall, we've never regretted switching to Virgin, far from it. I just wish they would update the software/interface used to control their V6 box, which to be fair operates reliably, but using it is a bit like the difference between playing a computer game from the 90s and one from this decade, in terms of graphics and the overall interactive user experience.

Marco.

Macca
17-05-2020, 10:53
Never understood what the draw was with Sky Atlantic. Here's their listing for today. Nothing I'd bother with there.

Time
TV Show
12:20 am
Dexter
Seeing Red - Season 1 Episode 10
01:35 am
Californication
At the Movies - Season 5 Episode 9
02:10 am
Californication
Perverts & Whores - Season 5 Episode 10
02:45 am
Life Itself: Special
03:00 am
Hotel Secrets With Richard E. Grant
Sex - Season 1 Episode 6
04:00 am
Miami - Season 2 Episode 1
05:00 am
Hong Kong - Season 2 Episode 2
06:00 am
The British
Superpower - Season 1 Episode 5
07:00 am
The British
Tale Of Two Cities - Season 1 Episode 6
08:00 am
Urban Secrets
09:00 am
Without a Trace
4G - Season 6 Episode 11
10:00 am
Without a Trace
Article 32 - Season 6 Episode 12
11:00 am
Without a Trace
Hard Reset - Season 6 Episode 13
12:00 pm
Without a Trace
A Bend in the Road - Season 6 Episode 14
1:00 pm
Without a Trace
Deja Vu - Season 6 Episode 15
2:00 pm
Without a Trace
A Dollar and a Dream - Season 6 Episode 16
3:00 pm
Without a Trace
Driven - Season 6 Episode 17
4:00 pm
Blue Bloods
Baggage - Season 5 Episode 11
5:00 pm
Blue Bloods
Home Sweet Home - Season 5 Episode 12
6:00 pm
Blue Bloods
Love Stories - Season 5 Episode 13
7:00 pm
Blue Bloods
The Poor Door - Season 5 Episode 14
8:00 pm
Blue Bloods
Power Players - Season 5 Episode 15
9:00 pm
Anon
10:55 pm
Gangs Of London
Episode 4 - Season 1 Episode 4

Pigmy Pony
17-05-2020, 12:04
Never understood what the draw was with Sky Atlantic. Here's their listing for today. Nothing I'd bother with there.

Time
TV Show
12:20 am
Dexter
Seeing Red - Season 1 Episode 10
01:35 am
Californication
At the Movies - Season 5 Episode 9
02:10 am
Californication
Perverts & Whores - Season 5 Episode 10
02:45 am
Life Itself: Special
03:00 am
Sex - Season 1 Episode 6
04:00 am
Miami - Season 2 Episode 1
05:00 am
Hong Kong - Season 2 Episode 2
06:00 am
The British
Superpower - Season 1 Episode 5
07:00 am
The British
Tale Of Two Cities - Season 1 Episode 6
08:00 am
Urban Secrets
09:00 am
Without a Trace
4G - Season 6 Episode 11
10:00 am
Without a Trace
Article 32 - Season 6 Episode 12
11:00 am
Without a Trace
Hard Reset - Season 6 Episode 13
12:00 pm
Without a Trace
A Bend in the Road - Season 6 Episode 14
1:00 pm
Without a Trace
Deja Vu - Season 6 Episode 15
2:00 pm
Without a Trace
A Dollar and a Dream - Season 6 Episode 16
3:00 pm
Without a Trace
Driven - Season 6 Episode 17
4:00 pm
Blue Bloods
Baggage - Season 5 Episode 11
5:00 pm
Blue Bloods
Home Sweet Home - Season 5 Episode 12
6:00 pm
Blue Bloods
Love Stories - Season 5 Episode 13
7:00 pm
Blue Bloods
The Poor Door - Season 5 Episode 14
8:00 pm
Blue Bloods
Power Players - Season 5 Episode 15
9:00 pm
Anon
10:55 pm
Gangs Of London
Episode 4 - Season 1 Episode 4

Well that does look piss poor, and the only one there that I bother with is 'Gangs of London', and you could have tried an episode in the time it took to draw up that list :ner:

I'll struggle to list all the shows I watch, but I would include 'Gangs', recently 'Save Me Too' (done by the same folk who did 'Line of Duty' and is a must watch imo), Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Twin Peaks, Billions, Succession, Chernobyl, Das Boot, Westworld, Escape at Dannemora, Fortitude, True Detective, Sharp objects, The Tunnel, and I know there have been many more over the last 5 years or so.

May not sound like much, but then I don't watch that much telly, preferring to play records and CDs, and chat shite with you lot :)

struth
17-05-2020, 12:17
never heard of any of them, nor do i wish to... glad i dont have it

struth
17-05-2020, 12:20
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/923/FH2ezw.png
One page of my server

Pigmy Pony
17-05-2020, 12:42
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/923/FH2ezw.png
One page of my server

Quite impressive, and that's just C through to E, but I've watched most of them at least once. And I do like to see stuff I haven't seen before. Not all new films/TV is crap.

Scorps
17-05-2020, 17:18
Tbh only reason my tv goes on is to watch footie, even then is generally muted in favour of tunes.

struth
17-05-2020, 17:23
Quite impressive, and that's just C through to E, but I've watched most of them at least once. And I do like to see stuff I haven't seen before. Not all new films/TV is crap.Yup I'm building it up. There is about 130 films now plus quite a few good series. Got more to do, but no rush. Plus I've 450 on amazon and 120 on apple. So I'm not short of stuff

Macca
17-05-2020, 17:51
Well that does look piss poor, and the only one there that I bother with is 'Gangs of London', and you could have tried an episode in the time it took to draw up that list )

You don't really think I typed all that out do you?

Pigmy Pony
17-05-2020, 19:10
You don't really think I typed all that out do you?

What, you mean that you didn't copy it from the Radio Times? I'm ashamed now to say yes I really did think that :o