PDA

View Full Version : I’m lockdown bored so recommend me a new MM cartridge

worrasf
05-05-2020, 10:43
As per the title - don’t need one but looking for something to do.

I’m currently using a Decca Supergold with a Rothwell Simplex/Fidelity Audio phono stage on a fully modded SL1210/Jelco TK850S into a full monty Croft 25RSLS/7 mono’s.

I have several MC’s that I use with a Tom Evans microgroove 2+ but I don’t currently have a pure MM.

I know the Ortofon 2M Black is highly thought of by many here but I’ve read it can be a bit “CD” at the top end. The Croft is very revealing so that is a concern for me.

Sound wise I really like the Supergold’s pace and attack.
Music wise I tend to listen to jazz, solo guitar, Einaudi and “dad’s rock” like Floyd and Van der Graf Generator.

Budget around £500 give or take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opti-cal
05-05-2020, 10:53
Nagoaka MP-200

Had a 110 and really enjoyed it. Balanced and not fussy about partnering equipment. Nag's don't have the looks or following of the mainstream carts but I think they've got it where it counts. Failing that can't go wrong with an AT-150MLX if you can find one now. I hear the VM 740ML is supposed to be as good if a lot cheaper.

topoxforddoc
05-05-2020, 11:07
Steve,

Your Jelco TK850S tonearm has an effective mass of 13.8g; I'm not sure if the manufacturer's specs are with or without the standard head shell.The tonearm mass rules out all of the vintage high compliance MMs carts, like the AKG P8, Grace F9, ADC 26 etc, as they all need low mass arms.

How about a Garrott P77i (the upgraded version of the A&R P77 - but significantly better) or a Nagaoka MP500? An older Ortofon M20FL would be good; the compliance of 20 cu might just work ok; the M20E won't work as that's a high compliance cartridge. I have both the M20FL and Garrott P77i in my collection and they both sound excellent - but they won't be as good as your Super Gold, but may be more forgiving of poor pressings.

Charlie

hifi_dave
05-05-2020, 11:09
The only cartridge with the "pace and attack" of a Decca, is a Decca. The 2M Black won't do it - it's anaemic in comparison. If you. are happy with the Decca, I would say, stick with it.

Barry
05-05-2020, 11:14
The only cartridge with the "pace and attack" of a Decca, is a Decca. The 2M Black won't do it - it's anaemic in comparison. If you. are happy with the Decca, I would say, stick with it.

Agreed! :)

worrasf
05-05-2020, 11:15
In my heart I know you are right Dave.

AJSki2fly
05-05-2020, 12:17
As per the title - don’t need one but looking for something to do.

Sound wise I really like the Supergold’s pace and attack.
Music wise I tend to listen to jazz, solo guitar, Einaudi and “dad’s rock” like Floyd and Van der Graf Generator.

Budget around £500 give or take

Stephen,

I listen to all sorts of music and went for a Goldring 2500 instead of an Ortofon 2M Black, have a look at these threads. First one is similar to your question, 2nd is my report on what I purchased, last one tells you my view on the Goldring 2500, and it has not change since and it now done about 30hours.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?68361-When-to-MM-or-MM-a-curious-thing-I-ve-been-playing-again&highlight=goldring+2500

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?68573-Some-New-Toys&highlight=goldring+2500

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?68573-Some-New-Toys&p=1179939#post1179939

worrasf
05-05-2020, 12:26
Stephen,

I listen to all sorts of music and went for a Goldring 2500 instead of an Ortofon 2M Black, have a look at these threads. First one is similar to your question, 2nd is my report on what I purchased, last one tells you my view on the Goldring 2500, and it has not change since and it now done about 30hours.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?68361-When-to-MM-or-MM-a-curious-thing-I-ve-been-playing-again&highlight=goldring+2500

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?68573-Some-New-Toys&highlight=goldring+2500

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?68573-Some-New-Toys&p=1179939#post1179939

Thanks so much for this info and personal experience - just what I was after - I read the What HiFi review and thought it promising. I think I may well dip my toe in the water.
Steve

AJSki2fly
05-05-2020, 12:42
Thanks so much for this info and personal experience - just what I was after - I read the What HiFi review and thought it promising. I think I may well dip my toe in the water.
Steve

Your welcome, I thought it might help I found it very difficult to know what to go for, and in the end shy'd away form the 2M Black, and the Goldring 2500 had some good reviews and was a good value.

worrasf
05-05-2020, 13:20
Your welcome, I thought it might help I found it very difficult to know what to go for, and in the end shy'd away form the 2M Black, and the Goldring 2500 had some good reviews and was a good value.
Just ordered one Adrian - should be here on Thursday.
What VTF did you end up using?

Regards
Steve

ianlenco
05-05-2020, 13:32
If you really are just fancying a change to stem the boredom why not try an Audio-Technica AT-VM95SH? Only £150 or so but sounds quite excellent. I moved to one when I fancied a change from a Zyx R50 Bloom and haven't gone back. It's a real bargain.

AJSki2fly
05-05-2020, 13:37
Just ordered one Adrian - should be here on Thursday.
What VTF did you end up using?

Regards
Steve

I am running it at 1.7gm tracking weight, which is the nominal, and low bias about 1.2gm. It should work well in your JELCO I used to have a TK850M and used a couple of other similar weight cartridges in it at about 1.7 to 1.8gm and they tracked perfectly.

I also have put it through the HiFi news record test tracks and it passed with flying colours, it sounds very good IMO. I hope you think the same, don't blame me if not:eek:, we all have different ears and tastes.:)

worrasf
05-05-2020, 13:42
I hope you think the same, don't blame me if not:eek:, we all have different ears and tastes.:)

No worries on that score :)

worrasf
07-05-2020, 12:50
I am running it at 1.7gm tracking weight, which is the nominal, and low bias about 1.2gm. It should work well in your JELCO I used to have a TK850M and used a couple of other similar weight cartridges in it at about 1.7 to 1.8gm and they tracked perfectly.

I also have put it through the HiFi news record test tracks and it passed with flying colours, it sounds very good IMO. I hope you think the same, don't blame me if not:eek:, we all have different ears and tastes.:)

Hi Adrian
Well you are not wrong. The 2500 arrived earlier and is up and running. Setup was a doddle and as luck would have it total mass with headshell is virtually the same as the Decca I swapped out.

I’m very impressed with the Goldring 2500 bearing in mind it’s got zero hours on it.
Tonally it’s very similar to my Decca Supergold. It doesn’t quite have the “bite” of the Decca so Rodrigo Y Gabriella guitar slaps don’t have quite the same hollow “knocking” but it has plenty of energy and pace. Bass extension isn’t as low but conversely it is able to resolve more detail in complex fast passages so double hits with percussion or double strums on guitar are audible whereas they sound a single note with the Decca. Top end like cymbals/high hat sound exactly the same as Decca “zingy and shiny” but not brittle or over hard.
Its a very musical enjoyable cartridge which I guess will improve with more hours on it.

So thanks again for the suggestion

AJSki2fly
07-05-2020, 12:56
Hi Adrian
Well you are not wrong. The 2500 arrived earlier and is up and running. Setup was a doddle and as luck would have it total mass with headshell is virtually the same as the Decca I swapped out.

I’m very impressed with the Goldring 2500 bearing in mind it’s got zero hours on it.
Tonally it’s very similar to my Decca Supergold. It doesn’t quite have the “bite” of the Decca so Rodrigo Y Gabriella guitar slaps don’t have quite the same hollow “knocking” but it has plenty of energy and pace. Bass extension isn’t as low but conversely it is able to resolve more detail in complex fast passages so double hits with percussion or double strums on guitar are audible whereas they sound a single note with the Decca. Top end like cymbals/high hat sound exactly the same as Decca “zingy and shiny” but not brittle or over hard.
Its a very musical enjoyable cartridge which I guess will improve with more hours on it.

So thanks again for the suggestion

Hi Stephen

Well you have just confirmed my thoughts on the Goldring 2500, I have found that it takes at least 15-20 hours for it to come on song so to speak. I use the first track from Ravi Shankar's Potrait of Genius album to test listen, this has tablas with varying hand hits and lovely hollow sounding drums as you described, the depth and hollowness improved with use and I believe bass extension and control as well.

Very pleased you like it.

Cheers

Adrian

Gianfranco
14-05-2020, 09:15
Nagaoka mp300 o mp500