PDA

View Full Version : Well I never .. Supertramp

rigger67
26-04-2020, 11:17
I was reading a column in one of the broadsheets the other day, you know the kind of thing they're using to fill up the culture pages now that nothing new is actually happening, and it was a music industry person detailing his favourite guilty pleasure type of album from his youth, in this case Supertramp - Breakfast In America.

He ran through it track by track and I could almost hear it in my head even though I'd guessed I'd not actually listened to it in twenty-odd years for whatever reason.

Yesterday afternoon I dug the record out and slipped it from it's plastic-lined plain paper inner sleeve, though the album cover did also contain a full-sized lyrics sheet with a few liner notes and I noticed that the inside of the cardboard outer was a vibrant tangerine shade :eyebrows:

I played the album right through, both sides, while my partner was cooking a lamb curry in the kitchen.
It was amazing. Exactly how I remembered it but it sounded superb ! I mean really, really great - about as good as my system does.
Sometimes on older albums the Linn blows away the CD player, while on others the Marantz beats it - especially with newer productions - though again the Linn sounds excellent with brand new vinyl from today.
But this one really was fantastic.
I picked up the sleeve again for no apparent reason and noticed that it said "Half-Speed Mastered" across the top and "Audiophile Pressing" at the bottom.

I bought the record in 1980.
I didn't even know that was a thing back then :scratch:

Anyway .. hardly any pops on it either - it's a thing of beauty and I love it :yay:

https://i.postimg.cc/RZ65C2J4/SUPERTRAMP-BREAKFAST-IN-AMERICA-HALF-SPEED-MASTERED-105803.jpg

Ali Tait
26-04-2020, 11:23
Nice when you get a decent slice of vinyl, nothing like it.

paulf-2007
26-04-2020, 11:29
I have several half speed mastered albums, all are head and shoulders above the ordinary recordings. From memory, supertramp crime of the century, fleetwood Mac rumours? Dire straits first album, Bruce Cockburn dancing in the dragons jaws, some others I can't remember. Well worth buying half speed mastered.

lilolee
26-04-2020, 11:42
It's all down to the Lamb Curry

rigger67
26-04-2020, 12:39
It's all down to the Lamb Curry

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

hifinutt
26-04-2020, 13:21
fabulous , was playing supertramp last night , my favourite is their first album surely which i just love

Mike Reed
26-04-2020, 13:50
Supertramp albums have very good s.q.. I've got about three, but I have 2 of 'Crime of the Century'. The first was very good, but the more recent purchase in a charity shop, looked like an older pressing (cover is less glossy). The s.q. of that one is tremendous.

JimG
26-04-2020, 18:38
I just had to dig mine out after reading this. 2 copies Breakfast in America, one bought in W H Smiths for £4.49. The other, half speed mastered by Nimbus, and still has its cellophane film around it!
I believe a number of Nimbus pressings were offered by one of the HiFi mags in the early eighties, i have three of them. Not played them for years but will now.

Barry
26-04-2020, 20:15
The only Supertramp LP I dont like is 'Even in the Quietest Moments'. Everything else by them is superb.

Yes, those Nimbus pressings offered to Practical HiFi were excellent and are very collectable today.

I have a half speed master Mobile Fidelity copy of Little Feat's 'Waiting for Columbus', and was amused to read in the liner notes that the album should be allowed to rest after playing (!) :scratch: Much as I like the record, I'm not sure I would immediately replay a side afterwards. :eek: