PDA

View Full Version : WTD Goodmans Magister Bass drivers

HypnoJames
22-04-2020, 03:34
Hi all!

Probably a long shot but does anyone have a pair of goodmans magister bass drivers? Or even a complete pair of speakers?

James

Lawrence001
22-04-2020, 07:33
What do you need them for? They are sometimes repairable if you've got a damaged pair.

HypnoJames
22-04-2020, 07:39
Hi Lawrence,

They are for a project. I want to build a pair of 3 way speakers with 15 inch bass drivers but I’m struggling to find decent new drivers. I thought that perhaps a pair of Magister drivers would be suitable.

hiphopopotamus
22-04-2020, 09:54
Exactly what I did James - bought some scuffed Magister Gs, though instead of building/restoring myself (I'd have likely blown myself up) I sent them to Juancho (over on hifiwigwam, not sure if he's on here) for restoration - the bass cones were the only things we kept due to expense of replacements for this part.

However, Juancho did suggest some alternatives - if youre struggling to find some, you might want to get in touch with him directly - think he's restored more pairs of magisters since, so may be able to point you in the right direction

HypnoJames
22-04-2020, 12:13
Thanks for that. I will contact him. Might just save me some headaches!!

Lawrence001
22-04-2020, 12:45
There are a number of makers that are used in open baffle speakers, I'm not sure if Eminence are one but they're worth a look.

AD Audio
22-04-2020, 15:22
Exactly what I did James - bought some scuffed Magister Gs, though instead of building/restoring myself (I'd have likely blown myself up) I sent them to Juancho (over on hifiwigwam, not sure if he's on here) for restoration - the bass cones were the only things we kept due to expense of replacements for this part.

However, Juancho did suggest some alternatives - if youre struggling to find some, you might want to get in touch with him directly - think he's restored more pairs of magisters since, so may be able to point you in the right directionHi Tom,
Hope you are keeping safe and well and still enjoying those Magister's! I am AD Audio on Art of Sound. I've restored around 3 more sets of Magister's since yours and the owners all love them. I've also got a pair of Eminence drivers hanging around.
David

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

HypnoJames
23-04-2020, 14:52
Hi David,

Are there any drivers in particular that you would recommend? I was thinking of a 3 way speaker project with the bass and mid being full range and doped.

James

AD Audio
25-04-2020, 09:36
Hi James, I don't know of any doped bass drivers tbh. I have some Eminence Kappa 15ins or some Goodmans 15ins which need a bit of restoration-the vinyl cone covering comes loose and needs carefully slitting and sticking back on. Also have some JR149 tweeters and some cabinets built in baltic ply for 15ins drivers, mids and tweeters. Let me know if any of this is of interest.
David

bumpy
28-04-2020, 07:44
If you ever wanted to buy new, Faital Pro do some excellent 15" drivers. Very sensitive, almost unbreakable and about £200 each

https://cpc.farnell.com/faital-pro/fp15pr400a/loudspeaker-15-400w-8r/dp/LS03765?ost=faital+pro+15%22&cfm=true&ddkey=https%3Aen-CPC%2FCPC_United_Kingdom%2Fsearch#

hiphopopotamus
28-04-2020, 09:41
Hi Tom,
Hope you are keeping safe and well and still enjoying those Magister's! I am AD Audio on Art of Sound. I've restored around 3 more sets of Magister's since yours and the owners all love them. I've also got a pair of Eminence drivers hanging around.
David

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Great to hear from you David, and great to hear that there are others out there thinking in similar ways - I'm still loving them here. May get in touch with you myself in the coming months to have a look at replacing the original bass drivers, but we can pick that up on that conversation as and when this situation eases a little.
Cheers!
Tom

RMutt
28-04-2020, 15:39
Hello James. I have three or four of these. They are stored away at the moment because of building work that is on hold at the moment. Two I have repaired myself as the cones detached from the spider. I know I definitely have another spare and possibly another. You are not that far from me which is good because posting would be a tricky.

RMutt
28-04-2020, 15:40
PS There is a Magister thread on here where my repair was outlined.