PDA

View Full Version : TEAC V7000 tape deck: side grille function?

Exophile
19-04-2020, 01:27
I just bought a TEAC V700 tape deck. It has on the side some plastic grille. Does it serve any function, or is it purely decorative? It is protruding quite a bit from my stack, so would not mind taking it off, unless it serves some function. Thanks for any intel!

Macca
19-04-2020, 08:12
No it's just cosmetic.

Very cool tape deck that.

Exophile
19-04-2020, 15:46
Martin: Thanks for the confirmation!

Eagle123
20-04-2020, 19:02
How does it sound, looks nice proof in the listening

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Exophile
22-04-2020, 01:42
How does it sound, looks nice proof in the listening

Hi Saijd,

sounds fine to me, but two caveats: for one, I don't have any other tape decks to compare it to, and second, I am not sure how good the source material I have is, pretty old cassettes I taped in the 80s-90s. I am actually surprised how good they sound. Listened to some old Blue China radio transmission from Ton Modern festival at Rote Fabrik in Zürich in 1983. Great trip down memory lane. Have a few original tapes form IF and ix-ex-splue. Fun stuff. This is more for fun and old times sake than audiophile quality.

Eagle123
22-04-2020, 06:15
Hi martin
Enjoy your trip to memory lane, if u have a couple of blank cassette u can copy your records and listen.
You can match the bias record level i think the teac has a autocalibration.
Its a good looking machine, with vinyl revival there cassette revival too.

Sajid

Exophile
22-04-2020, 07:36
Hi martin
Enjoy your trip to memory lane, if u have a couple of blank cassette u can copy your records and listen.
You can match the bias record level i think the teac has a autocalibration.
Its a good looking machine, with vinyl revival there cassette revival too.

Sajid

I have a stack of old tapes that I could erase and tape over. Mainly CO2, metal was too esoteric and expensive back in the 80s-90s, when I grew up. The TEAC 7000 has both auto bias calibration, as well as manual override.
I notice that there are more cassettes being released on Bandcamp. I prefer vinyl, though. Just did a significant upgrade on my vinyl (VPI Superprime Scout with Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC* cartridge and a Vincent PHO 701 preamp). The TEAC is really just for fun listening to old cassettes right now, and the any odd ball things I may come across.

Daniel

Eagle123
22-04-2020, 07:59
Hi Daniel.
I made a mistake calling u martin! I have started vinyl, having listened to cds and cassette but never heard vinyl
I got a technics 1200g with a ortofon bronze.
I was looking at belt drive turntables, i did a demo of the technics 1200gr after hearing the salesman say we had to take the roksan xerxes back as it had speed problems, so belt drive turntables were discounted due to belts getting old and then u get speed errors.
The technics g i got with a special price £2649 inc ortofon bronze
I had to wait 4 weeks and the wait was worth it
My cd player and a teac dac i got connected with is made redundant after listening to vinyl
I find that a small adjustment like vta can make a difference.

Exophile
22-04-2020, 15:50
Glad to hear you enjoy your new vinyl set-up. I grew up with vinyl before there were CDs, but in the last couple of years have gotten back into it and have bought again maybe 50 older releases as well as brand new ones through Discogs and Bandcamp, just about 300 total. Lots of fun! I really like Bandcamp, as I can get in contact with the bands and artists directly.

The Technics 1200 is certainly well respected for direct drive. I've never had problems with belts. Even thin one like on the Pro-ject lasted about 10 years. The much more robust one of the VPI will last quite a bit longer. I can't see how belt affects speed consistency. The reduction from small spindle pulley on the motor compared to platter permits the motor to run at higher rpms, which should be more accurate than low speed direct drives, all other things being equal. Not sure about technics platter weight; the VPI super prime has about 20 lb platter, so inertia helps with keeping things stable.

Interesting re VTA, which is also the reason I got the VPI. I tried to fiddle with it, but could not hear any difference, so don't know whether I know what to listen for and what sort of music will help hearing differences. The moving iron with nude stylus should be quite susceptible to VTA changes. Or maybe my dynamic driver headphones were not revealing enough? I will get a set of Dan Clark Ether 2 planar headphones in today, and will see whether that makes a difference. They require about 100 hours of burn in, so will be a few days.

Eagle123
22-04-2020, 16:02
I bought majority of the records on discogs as well as ebay.
I compared music from cd and lp cd sounds louder lp have disadvantages wear and tear and dust but due to the age of the record u can say they 1st gen master copy.
Vta is like very subtle u need to listen to the record that u familiar with and see with a bit of adjustment hear more detail. I think the further you adjust vta the more bassy it gets.
I adjusted mine to wat technics recommend.
Still enjoy spinning the record gently setting down the stylus..

Exophile
22-04-2020, 16:34
Re vinyl dust, I can highly recommend a wet record cleaner. That is really critical for listening to vinyl. I got the Project model. The first copy I got had really bad motor/gear noise, which seems to be a problem with the project. Fortunately could get an exchange unit under warranty. Not sure I would buy or recommend it. VPI also offers one. Not sure what is available in the UK. It won't remove scratches, but getting rid of dust makes a ton of difference.
The lock down is a perfect time to take some time to listen carefully to records. Oddly enough, I've been really productive at home. Have to carve out some quality time :-)

Eagle123
27-04-2020, 17:23
I got a diy vinyl care kit, intrested in the sonic cleaning machines some can be had in kit form and others that are professionally made.
My freind wanted a copy of his vinyl on tape the record is over 50 years old, so i obliged made a recording on my nakamichi dr3.
Wasnt expecting the recording to be really good must be the combination of my record player cartridge and cassette deck.
He is pleasantly surprised saying the recording is very analogue warm and clear that his words.
A very underrated machine the dr3 is..

Eagle123
27-04-2020, 17:24
My system set up speakers are kef r700https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200427/ea3290f4f3ebea7d9897e98233da96ec.jpg