View Full Version : WTD NOS Telefunken ECC83

Bigbird
15-04-2020, 11:12
Having just acquired some nice nos tele PCC88 I now need an ECC83 to complete the set for a phono project,if anybody has one spare please let me know . Must be willing to post (to UK address not my Australian one).

PS I'm not after a crazy priced one . Thanks

Karl

Firebottle
15-04-2020, 14:28
Go for the General electric 12AX7WA from Watford Valves, much cheaper that you will ever find a NOS tele ECC83.

Bigbird
15-04-2020, 19:44
Hi Alan thanks for the reply, I had some NOS GE 12bh7A in my Croft’s and they were without doubt my least favourite performers compared to the Sylvania ,Mullard , and RCA that I also have . They just sounded thin and lacking the quality of the other 3. I wonder wether it’s just that particular model and the ECC83 are better?
There’s a few Teles about for 75 quid but I don’t know if the sellers are legit. I don’t mind paying a little bit more for good valves. The difference adding the NOS 1956 RCA into my croft amps was staggering. Like putting a Power supply into the mix , the improvement was that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigbird
15-04-2020, 19:45
Go for the General electric 12AX7WA from Watford Valves, much cheaper that you will ever find a NOS tele ECC83.

Hi Alan thanks for the reply, I had some NOS GE 12bh7A in my Croft’s and they were without doubt my least favourite performers compared to the Sylvania ,Mullard , and RCA that I also have . They just sounded thin and lacking the quality of the other 3. I wonder wether it’s just that particular model and the ECC83 are better?
There’s a few Teles about for 75 quid but I don’t know if the sellers are legit. I don’t mind paying a little bit more for good valves. The difference adding the NOS 1956 RCA into my croft amps was staggering. Like putting a Power supply into the mix , the improvement was that good.

IHP
16-04-2020, 06:15
PM'd chap :).

Interesting what you say about the RCA, I have (nearly) the same pre as yourself - I'm not a massive fan of tube rolling though, it sends me bonkers !

Cheers, Ian.

Bigbird
16-04-2020, 07:59
PM'd chap :).

Interesting what you say about the RCA, I have (nearly) the same pre as yourself - I'm not a massive fan of tube rolling though, it sends me bonkers !

Cheers, Ian.

Hi Ian,

Thanks so much for the reply. I will give it a try later.
The RCAs were a revelation . I put one on the input of the 25RLS and one in the input of each of the 7R mono’s and compared to the GE that we’re in there it was no contest . there was so much more detail and richness and a lovely holographic image. I did my research on the best 12bh7a and those old 50s black plates were at the top of almost every list so I pulled the trigger. Theyre getting rare now so weren’t cheap but well worth it in my system mate

Cheers

Karl

Opti-cal
16-04-2020, 08:08
Hi Karl, I have to say RCA's nearly always fix what I feel is missing sometimes with some components. For me they rarely miss. I thought the renowned WE396a's could not be bettered in my DAC until I tried some NOS RCA black plates. I now have a pair of their COMMAND series on the way, in an attempt to eek out illusive performance as ever..... I have used tele's in a phono stage with success too. However the best 12ax7's in a phono stage for me have been Ei silver plates, incredibly low noise and dynamically exciting. Horses for courses as ever.....

Bigbird
16-04-2020, 08:21
Hi Karl, I have to say RCA's nearly always fix what I feel is missing sometimes with some components. For me they rarely miss. I thought the renowned WE396a's could not be bettered in my DAC until I tried some NOS RCA black plates. I now have a pair of their COMMAND series on the way, in an attempt to eek out illusive performance as ever..... I have used tele's in a phono stage with success too. However the best 12ax7's in a phono stage for me have been Ei silver plates, incredibly low noise and dynamically exciting. Horses for courses as ever.....

Oh that’s interesting mate , I’ve never heard of silver plates before but there was definitely some nice valves coming out of Yugoslavia back then so I’ve no reason to doubt the EI are great.

Ive never heard of the command series either, so will check them out too.

I decided to just stump up for the big boy valves in Telefunken with this phono stage then if I decide I don’t like what I hear (unlikely) I will just go back to my trusty RCA black plates and move on the Teles without too much of a hit .

Alfonzo
16-04-2020, 09:18
Hi Karl

Teles are on the bright side of neutral generally but depends on the circuit used for it. Which mullards have you tried. The long plate square getter MC1 versions are certainly not thin and lacking in quality. But they are pricey as I know myself. But in Phono stages they last for ever so could be money well spent

Enjoy rolling ha ha

Opti-cal
16-04-2020, 10:05
I decided to just stump up for the big boy valves in Telefunken with this phono stage then if I decide I don’t like what I hear (unlikely) I will just go back to my trusty RCA black plates and move on the Teles without too much of a hit .

It's one of those itches you've got to scratch Karl. I find the sooner these itches are scratched, the less outlay in the future. Sometimes you've just gotta know, case and point your new TT!

Good luck with the tele's. They are 'exciting'.

Bigbird
16-04-2020, 10:45
Hi Karl

Teles are on the bright side of neutral generally but depends on the circuit used for it. Which mullards have you tried. The long plate square getter MC1 versions are certainly not thin and lacking in quality. But they are pricey as I know myself. But in Phono stages they last for ever so could be money well spent

Enjoy rolling ha ha

Hi buddy ,

Ive only tried one Mullard in my Croft’s. Couldn’t say which one specifically but it’s a 12bh7a and it’s nos from the 60s. It’s really nice but a little warmer than I like. It was the GE that I found thin and lacking the quality of the others I’ve tried but that might just be the type I have , the ECC83 might be different so I’m not judging all GE on that merit. Ive also got a Sylvania (NOS) which was my second favourite after the trusty old RCA.
Id like fairly clean and detailed in this phono so I think the Teles should work, plus I want to see what all the fuss is about. I also like the sound of the old NOS Siemens ECC83 aswell. Apparently they are up there with the best Tele’s and a bit of a grail tube ?

Cheers

Bigbird
16-04-2020, 10:47
It's one of those itches you've got to scratch Karl. I find the sooner these itches are scratched, the less outlay in the future. Sometimes you've just gotta know, case and point your new TT!

Good luck with the tele's. They are 'exciting'.

Exactly , it’s either a bloody great expensive learning curve , or a cost effective upgrade but until you try you never know do you?

Cheers

Alfonzo
16-04-2020, 12:09
Tesla E83CC gold pin are great tubes too. Be careful though - lots of fakes out there

Hi buddy ,

Ive only tried one Mullard in my Croft’s. Couldn’t say which one specifically but it’s a 12bh7a and it’s nos from the 60s. It’s really nice but a little warmer than I like. It was the GE that I found thin and lacking the quality of the others I’ve tried but that might just be the type I have , the ECC83 might be different so I’m not judging all GE on that merit. Ive also got a Sylvania (NOS) which was my second favourite after the trusty old RCA.
Id like fairly clean and detailed in this phono so I think the Teles should work, plus I want to see what all the fuss is about. I also like the sound of the old NOS Siemens ECC83 aswell. Apparently they are up there with the best Tele’s and a bit of a grail tube ?

Cheers

Bigbird
16-04-2020, 12:35
Tesla E83CC gold pin are great tubes too. Be careful though - lots of fakes out there

I know , it’s a real minefield. If you have any contacts then please let me know as I need to try track something down before the end of next week. Cheers

User211
16-04-2020, 14:12
Tesla ECC803S. Special quality ECC83. Yellow print factory code 32 gold pin

I had the Telefunken ECC803S at the same time. It is no better.

Buy from any CZ seller on eBay with good feedback and it will be real.

I also had PCC88 in an EAR preamp both Tele and Tesla. Tele no better.

Bigbird
16-04-2020, 19:26
Tesla ECC803S. Special quality ECC83. Yellow print factory code 32 gold pin

I had the Telefunken ECC803S at the same time. It is no better.

Buy from any CZ seller on eBay with good feedback and it will be real.

I also had PCC88 in an EAR preamp both Tele and Tesla. Tele no better.

I think they were exact replicas of the 803s weren’t they ? Made on the Telefunken tooling that they acquired ? What’s a CZ seller ?

Cheers

Alfonzo
16-04-2020, 22:25
He refers to a dealer from the Czech republic.

I think they were exact replicas of the 803s weren’t they ? Made on the Telefunken tooling that they acquired ? What’s a CZ seller ?

Cheers

Bigbird
17-04-2020, 00:50
He refers to a dealer from the Czech republic.

Ah yes that’s what I assumed Thankyou.

Ive now found a NOS west German diamond bottom smooth plate so Thankyou for all your replies and help

Karl

Mike Adams
18-04-2020, 08:32
Ive both smooth and ribbed plate Tele 83s. (Diamond bases)
Personally couldn't tell the difference between them in my phono, and decided with the Psvayne 300b in my power amp that I prefer Mullards (M8137) in the phono...(guess it is about a balance)
I find Tele cleaner/detailed... Mullards warmer/3D....
Karl, if those valves (smooth plates) don't work out I would be willing to part with a pair of mine...

Bigbird
18-04-2020, 11:16
Ive both smooth and ribbed plate Tele 83s. (Diamond bases)
Personally couldn't tell the difference between them in my phono, and decided with the Psvayne 300b in my power amp that I prefer Mullards (M8137) in the phono...(guess it is about a balance)
I find Tele cleaner/detailed... Mullards warmer/3D....
Karl, if those valves (smooth plates) don't work out I would be willing to part with a pair of mine...

Yeah that would make sense mate.

That’s one of the reasons , along with reputation, that I fancied the Teles . as I already have the holographic richness from all of the RCAs In my Croft’s , I figured clean and detailed might be a good match. Let’s see .

Appreciate the offer Mike and I will bear that in mind if my new ones don’t hit the spot.

Cheers bud

Karl