PDA

View Full Version : ARC REF 5 to 5SE upgrade

dpgals
11-04-2020, 07:35
Dear forum members

I have looking without success for an ARC REF 5SE pre-amplifier but have seen on e-bay a good condition REF 5 for sale that I am tempted by it. Word on various forums tells us that that there were significant improvements when ARC did the upgrade to the 5SE version but ARC do not do the upgrade anymore and it have been be really expensive to sent the amp from the UK to the States for them to do the work anyway. However, I know electronic gurus in the UK who could do the conversion for me I am sure. Does anyone have any information about what ARC did to the REF 5 to make it an REF 5SE. I have sent a message to ARC for information on this but will have to wait and see if they reply. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks David

antonio
11-04-2020, 07:44
My brother had the Ref 5SE and I remember him telling me it was an improvement over the non SE. Guess you are going to have to wait for a reply from ARC.

dpgals
11-04-2020, 08:03
Thanks Antonio - did your brother like the 5SE. The word is it is very good. David

hifinutt
11-04-2020, 10:14
wonderful , there have been a good number of ref 5se on s/h market . you have to be quick as they sell fast . I have had both the ref 5 and the ref 5se and the latter is very good . personally i think any non arc conversion from ref 5 to ref 5se would be a bad idea . ARC lovers are very discerning and they will not be happy to buy a amp that has been done by a non arc person however good it is .

i have seen the ref 5 and it should have sold . personally i would wait for a proper ref 5se , of course now the ref 6se is out , you never know a decent ref 6 might come along

hifinutt
11-04-2020, 10:19
hi fi trading station currently have a ref 6 , and they may have a ref 5se somewhere if you ask them . haggle hard in this buyers market !!

https://www.hifitradingstation.info/

"Does anyone have any information about what ARC did to the REF 5 to make it an REF 5SE. I have sent a message to ARC for information on this but will have to wait and see if they reply. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks David"

also you will get a quicker reply to this on the arc facebook group which i am on now for sometime

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1842015172712920/

antonio
12-04-2020, 08:56
Thanks Antonio - did your brother like the 5SE. The word is it is very good. David

A sore point, an excellent sounding pre, was purchased new (approx. £9k), after 2yrs 3 months went bang. Absolute Sounds took it in but said it was going to cost between £4-5K to repair. My brother argued that although over the 3 years warranty, it had been back to the shop for re-valving, could not remember how long it was away for but at least 1 month, so he just wanted the pre returned un repaired. Then he could not get the pre returned, the tech had 'misplaced' it and did not answer any emails. Eventually got it returned after more than 1 year and it was sold on ebay for just over £2k to a Eastern European who kept me informed of his repair work, but it cost him over £2k to do. Last I heard he was very happy with it. We will never again purchase anything from Absolute Sounds.