PDA

View Full Version : It's time to admit I am getting OLD

Audio Al
09-04-2020, 18:24
For the first time EVER I struggled today , doing what you ask ?

Trying to lift a small Vicmark lathe off the floor onto a work bench :eek: Bloody hell its heavy

I even removed the tailstock, toolrest and the draw and it was almost imposible for me to lift it :(

I did on the 3rd attempt manage it , see what happens in the morning re aches pains and bruises :doh:

I F--ing hate getting old :(

Marco
09-04-2020, 18:26
What age are you, daftee?:)

Marco.

Made in 1968
09-04-2020, 18:27
When your dick packs up then worry :D

I have some right trouble with my Knees only early 50's

Audio Al
09-04-2020, 18:28
What age are you, daftee?:)

Marco.

10 + 15 + 20 + 9 + 9 - 10 + 11 make you work for it :D

Marco
09-04-2020, 18:36
64 or have I arsed that up?:D

Never mind, you don't look a day older!:eyebrows:

Marco.

Firebottle
09-04-2020, 18:53
Well I'm 67 now, seems rather older than 66, it must be the 7 seeming nearer to the next decade.
Fortunately i don't really feel it, the knees ache a little at times. I'm not super fit or anything like but I can go upstairs without any effort and still footlaunch a paramotor :carrot:.

Bugger am I missing the freedom to fly at the moment. When the knees give in at least I will still be able to fly by using a small trike to take off.

Audio Al
09-04-2020, 19:09
In all other activities im fine , but boy did lifting that do me in :eek: about 30kgs and awkward shape and size

Made in 1968
09-04-2020, 19:28
Al man that is way over what a bloke should be lifting lol

Marco
09-04-2020, 19:32
I thought you lifted twice that every time you have a pish?:D

Marco.

Magna Audio
09-04-2020, 19:54
The big change for me was going plant based food (the new Vegan), I also quit alcohol completely.

Many will not want to hear that, or couldn't contemplate these changes.

I did it as a thing to try for a week maybe.

However the change in my physiology has been nothing short of spectacular.

Aches, pains, big toe arthritis I'd had for 8 years in remission.
Bladder stronger, muscles stronger, sleep better. Powers of concentration improved.
I eat and then am ready to go, not need a rest first [emoji846]
My resting pulse has dropped to 50.
Extreme rest is 47.
This is just 2 months in.

I play (when I can[emoji846]), competitive tennis [emoji462] and it was taking it's toll.
Not running around, knees or hips, but Golfers elbow tendonitis (yes tennis players get it) and also my wrists were suffering, just getting weaker and weaker, aching more and more, easy to strain.
These improved a few days in only, just got better and back to normal after a few weeks.

I've dabbled with diets before, years back even Macrobiotic (hard to do), but this change is a keeper!
I take B12 supplement, just in case.

The motivation to change was Netflix Game Changers film.

If it's good for Djokovic, Williams sisters, Lewis Hamilton and others, I thought, why not give it a try.

So much of what we eat and drink is inflammation causing.

I've no regrets.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ninanina
09-04-2020, 20:07
Age is pretty meaningless I reckon Al...

I'm a bit younger than that but can't say I really act it..mind is still in my 20's :D

Made in 1968
09-04-2020, 20:18
I hear ya Steve. Never felt so better not drinking anymore & loosing so much weight is like a totally different me in every respect..

Audio Al
09-04-2020, 20:25
I eat very little dead animals :spew: mostly veg and yep I like it very much

I had a very nice home made bubble and squeek tonight :D

Made in 1968
09-04-2020, 20:27
Used to purposely make too much sunday lunch so i could do bubble & squeek the day after

Audio Al
09-04-2020, 20:28
Age is pretty meaningless I reckon Al...

I'm a bit younger than that but can't say I really act it..mind is still in my 20's :D

In my bonce i'm 18 :D

Made in 1968
09-04-2020, 20:30
Chez upset me yesterday saying i was going very thin ontop :rolleyes:

Audio Al
09-04-2020, 20:33

I have been nude on top for 40 years , started going bald when I was 19

Ninanina
09-04-2020, 20:54
They say it's a sign of virility being nude on top :eyebrows:

Audio Al
09-04-2020, 21:30
My hair was worn away by the bed headboard :bonk:

Ninanina
09-04-2020, 21:34
:lol::lol::lol::lol: :eek:

Marco
10-04-2020, 08:15
I have been nude on top for 40 years , started going bald when I was 19

Eh? I thought you said you were 64, daftee? The above makes you 59! So what were you 'on top' for the other 5 years - Martian?:D

Come on, fess up, *exactly* how old are you?:more:

Marco.

struth
10-04-2020, 08:20
took 5 years to go baldy;)

Marco
10-04-2020, 08:32

Wow - that's unlike you dude, you were a hairy monster not that long ago!:eyebrows:

I've never had long hair, so I've no idea what it feels like or how I'd look with it. Me, when Del and I got married in December 1991:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/Mb0lP5.png

It's never been any longer than that!:D

Marco.

Marco
10-04-2020, 08:34

Yesh, that's one explanation. It's unusual though, knowing *exactly* the point where you started going bald, as it usually just creeps up on you:eek:

What hair I've got left, which I usually keep super-short, is doing my nut right in just now [I hate being able to 'feel' it], as I can't get near a hairdresser, and no I don't do 'home trims'!:nono:

Marco.

struth
10-04-2020, 08:35
i keep mine short, but it is a little thinner that it was, which is normal, but still have decent cover... usually do a 3 these days.. if weather is warm, then a 2

struth
10-04-2020, 08:35
Yesh, that's one explanation.

Marco.

he is a truck driver, not a mathematician:eyebrows:

Made in 1968
10-04-2020, 08:40
Had my hair off a good two years now. its just gone mega thin & grey in a very short time. Must be an hard life thats the culprit..

Not got any up to date photos but i took a present photo of Dave Gahan hair and asked the hair dresser to do it on me, Had it like that ever since..

Marco
10-04-2020, 08:43
he is a truck driver, not a mathematician:eyebrows:

Indeed, plus he's well-earned the title of super-daftee!:D

Marco.

Marco
10-04-2020, 08:47
Had my hair off a good two years now. its just gone mega thin & grey in a very short time. Must be an hard life thats the culprit..

Not got any up to date photos but i took a present photo of Dave Gahan hair and asked the hair dresser to do it on me, Had it like that ever since..

Ah gotcha... What's left for me is still mostly brown, which is probably an Italian/med thing, as I've always been 'dark'/olive-skinned, but dunno how long that will last. Not an issue though. As Bev says, age is just a number, and I honestly don't feel much different now than I did 15 years ago!:)

Marco.

walpurgis
10-04-2020, 08:55
age is just a number, and I honestly don't feel much different now than I did 15 years ago!:)

Marco.

Same here. Although the stoop and dribbling don't help. :D

Marco
10-04-2020, 08:57
The big change for me was going plant based food (the new Vegan), I also quit alcohol completely.

Many will not want to hear that, or couldn't contemplate these changes.

I did it as a thing to try for a week maybe.

However the change in my physiology has been nothing short of spectacular.

Aches, pains, big toe arthritis I'd had for 8 years in remission.
Bladder stronger, muscles stronger, sleep better. Powers of concentration improved.
I eat and then am ready to go, not need a rest first [emoji846]
My resting pulse has dropped to 50.
Extreme rest is 47.
This is just 2 months in.

I play (when I can[emoji846]), competitive tennis [emoji462] and it was taking it's toll.
Not running around, knees or hips, but Golfers elbow tendonitis (yes tennis players get it) and also my wrists were suffering, just getting weaker and weaker, aching more and more, easy to strain.
These improved a few days in only, just got better and back to normal after a few weeks.

I've dabbled with diets before, years back even Macrobiotic (hard to do), but this change is a keeper!
I take B12 supplement, just in case.

The motivation to change was Netflix Game Changers film.

If it's good for Djokovic, Williams sisters, Lewis Hamilton and others, I thought, why not give it a try.

So much of what we eat and drink is inflammation causing.

I've no regrets.

Good stuff, Steve! I can see how that would work if you're disciplined enough and able to stick to a regime, and perhaps aren't really that much of a foodie or boozer...

I *love* my food and wine too much to do that - it's just too much a big part of my life/culture, so I'd be utterly miserable on your diet, although I don't eat or drink to excess and I'm still pretty fit, as I take regular exercise. Plus, I'm in good health, don't take any pills, and suffer from no real aches or pains.

Anyway, hope you can keep up the diet, if it's working for you. How's Marie doing?:)

Marco.

Audio Al
10-04-2020, 08:59

:exactly:

Marco
10-04-2020, 08:59
Same here. Although the stoop and dribbling don't help. :D

S'all part of your charm, mate! At least you don't wet the bed, yet....:eyebrows:

Marco.

Marco
10-04-2020, 09:00

How do you remember though, the *exact" point it started 40 years later?;)

Marco.

Made in 1968
10-04-2020, 09:02
My hair style is called a 'Slick Back Pompadour' i think but the back & sides are No,6 on the shears.. The top is just brushed over hence slick back

Obviously not me in the attachment but that

Audio Al
10-04-2020, 09:04
Good stuff, Steve! I can see how that would work if you're disciplined enough and able to stick to a regime, and perhaps aren't really that much of a foodie... I *love* my food and wine too much to do that - it's just too much a big part of my life/culture, so I'd be utterly miserable on your diet, although I don't eat or drink to excess and I'm still pretty fit, as I take regular exercise.

Anyway, hope you can keep it up, if it's working for you. How's Marie doing?:)

Marco.

Bet you say that at least 10 times a day when looking in the mirror going :eyebrows:

Marco
10-04-2020, 09:05
My hair style is called a 'Slick Back Pompadour' i think but the back & sides are No,6 on the shears.. The top is just brushed over hence slick back

Obviously not me in the attachment but that

Noice... Sho are yoo even more handsomer than that, shexy chops?:eyebrows:

Bev wants to know.

Marco.

Marco
10-04-2020, 09:06
Bet you say that at least 10 times a day when looking in the mirror going :eyebrows:

Lol - nah, that wouldn't work as the mirror would crack!

Marco.

Made in 1968
10-04-2020, 09:06
Gotta keep up the sex god image

Audio Al
10-04-2020, 09:08

Marco.

It started when I got married , receding up the sides , eventually I had what I called fantasy Island yes a single tuft of hair that looked like a frigging island , So I took the bold step of shaving it off :(

Made in 1968
10-04-2020, 09:13
I even keep my dick perfectly trimmed & shaven in places. I could go get it done for free, no appointment required but Chez wernt in favour of that.

Marco
10-04-2020, 09:15
It started when I got married , receding up the sides , eventually I had what I called fantasy Island yes a single tuft of hair that looked like a frigging island , So I took the bold step of shaving it off :(

Was it the stress. lol?

Quite right, though... Can't stand that look! Or the 'friar tuck' one. This dude on 'Eggheads' for me just looks ridiculous:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/PpsXCu.jpg

Shave off all that ugly and unkept 'grey tuft', ya daftee, and you'll look 20 years younger!:exactly:

I guess because I've always been the 'clean cut' type [short back and sides, clean shaven], and so was my dad and pretty much the rest of the male members of my family, I just can't relate to the 'weirdy beardy' look, or the likes of *THAT!!:doh:

Marco.

walpurgis
10-04-2020, 09:15
Talking of 'tufts', have you noticed the amount of old boys who in the past have had hair transplants, so they have a thicker clump left at the front as the rest keeps receding? I call it the Titchmarsh look. They end up looking decidedly strange :).

Marco
10-04-2020, 09:19
I even keep my dick perfectly trimmed & shaven in places. I could go get it done for free, no appointment required but Chez wernt in favour of that.

Lol, could've been fun if she'd watched - a missed opportunity?:eyebrows:

I heard you knocked back the chance to be circumcised:D

Marco.

Made in 1968
10-04-2020, 09:20
Lol, could've been fun if she'd watched - a missed opportunity?:eyebrows:

I heard you knocked back the chance to be circumcised:D

Marco.

Too late the Jackets be Axed..

struth
10-04-2020, 09:22
never combed my hair in 20 years.. no need

Marco
10-04-2020, 09:23
Talking of 'tufts', have you noticed the amount of old boys who in the past have had hair transplants, so they have a thicker clump left at the front as the rest keeps receding? I call it the Titchmarsh look. They end up looking decidedly strange :).

Yeah, it's hilarious! Nothing worse than guys sadly clinging onto the last remnants of their 'yoof' and who can't grow old gracefully and accept that, physically, they're no longer the same person that they were 30 years ago, and so 'the look' [and even clothes] that suited them then, definitely doesn't suit them now!:doh:

Plus, long grey hair and/or grey beards are *so* ageing... For me, the idea is to stay looking as young as possible (for as long as possible), not the opposite. Too many men though, once they get past a certain age, just seem to give up...

Marco.

Marco
10-04-2020, 09:26
This is a belter, and it's DELIBERATE:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/921/hRi1es.jpg

:lol:

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
10-04-2020, 10:14

Marco.

For me , and I imagine many others, the starting point was the first time you bent to pick something up and someone said "Eeh, you're going a bit thin on top". This was something of a low point in my life, with that comment being increasingly heard. I really should have given those people a hard slap, that would have made me feel better. Then came the visits to the hairdressers - when at the end she would pass the little mirror round the back of my head and ask if that was ok, and I'd just pretend to look, and say, "Yeah that's fine" :(

What redressed the balance for me though, was that 15 years ago Anita's ankle-biters would joke about my baldiness, and now all three of them have less than me :D But it is a measure of my maturity that I'm far too gracious to mercilessly take the piss :)

Marco
10-04-2020, 13:11
Lol... I know what you mean about the hairdresser thing, although my first experience of hair thinning was when my mum mentioned it when I was sitting on a chair, and she saw the back of my head, and that must've been in my mid-20s, which slightly freaked me out.

However, from that point onwards I just resigned myself to it, as I've never been the type to worry about things that I can't control. Plus, I've always been pretty self-confident [I know that I hide it well:eyebrows:], so instead I took the approach of not shirking from reality (baldness) and actually taking the piss out of myself!:D

That way, you're less likely to be bothered by what others say... Call it a self-defence mechanism:)

Baldy pates aside, too many men (and women) these days take life WAY too seriously [even before this Coronavirus pandemic] and aren't able to laugh at anything, far less themselves. So you're going thin on top or a bit grey, so what? You're still alive and healthy, so smile and be grateful for what you've got that others haven't.

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
10-04-2020, 13:28
Apart from a short time in my 20s, when it started going, it's not bothered me one bit. And now I really wouldn't want it any other way. I think most old blokes who still have a full head of hair just look weird.

Marco
10-04-2020, 13:42
I know what you mean, but some guys can suit it, as long as it's nicely styled and kept clean!;)

Do you consider yourself though, as an 'old bloke'? Maybe I will when I'm in my mid-60s, dunno, as right now I don't look particularly old, or feel it... At 87, my dad still talks about 'old folks', as if he's not in that category!:D

Age is a mindset/lifestyle, as much as anything else.

Marco.

Roy S
10-04-2020, 13:45
I think most old blokes who still have a full head of hair just look weird.

How very dare you!

Audio Al
10-04-2020, 13:51
Lol... I know what you mean about the hairdresser thing, although my first experience of hair thinning was when my mum mentioned it when I was sitting on a chair, and she saw the back of my head, and that must've been in my mid-20s, which slightly freaked me out.

However, from that point onwards I just resigned myself to it, as I've never been the type to worry about things that I can't control. Plus, I've always been pretty self-confident , so instead I took the approach of not shirking reality (baldness) [I]and actually taking the piss out of myself!:D

That way, you're less likely to be bothered by what others say... Call it a self-defence mechanism:)

Baldy pates aside, too many folks these days take life WAY too seriously [even before this Coronavirus pandemic] and aren't able to laugh at anything, far less themselves. So you're going thin on top or a bit grey, so what? You're still alive and healthy, so smile and be grateful for what you've got that others haven't.

Marco.

Oooo I can join in , Oh hold on I allready do :ner:

Marco
10-04-2020, 13:54
Yesh, oi lurves it, and ably returns the compliment:D

You just can't take yourself too seriously can you? That's no fun! Some people are just way too 'up' themselves...

Marco.

Made in 1968
10-04-2020, 14:05
I had mine off cos i was starting to look a Kunt :D

However another sly comment i got is 'Do you still think your 20', the best one is 'Have you got a bird on the side'! Cant flaming win :doh:

Best not think about bringing some of this in then, i will be in the dog house.

https://uk.justformen.com/original-formula.html

struth
10-04-2020, 14:26
ive gone a bit greyer in last few hrs trying to get this laptop to bloody work:steam: But I have it working again... its a odd thing, it just goes as slow as molasses in winter time.
Ive taken plunge and ordered a new(er well used but hopefully better than this)its a 4th gen zbook i7 lappy. I already have a zeddy i use in my main hifi system and occasionally use it, like today in client mode with my ipad...

Anyway this old girl is again working, but its done this several times recently so i think its got an issue.

Im already bloody grey and i dont need any more:eyebrows:

Made in 1968
10-04-2020, 14:42
Just clone the hard drive on to a SSD drive, swap the new drive over jobs a good un..

struth
10-04-2020, 14:54
Just clone the hard drive on to a SSD drive, swap the new drive over jobs a good un..

aye, but im not convinced its the hdd.. Thinking its more silphone based:eyebrows:

but if i can count on it again i may well do that for speed

Marco
10-04-2020, 15:07
Get an Apple Mac, and all your worries will be over!:ner:;)

For peace of mind, buy quality in the first place, instead of repeated inferior cack!

Marco [experiences ZERO computer problems, EVER].

struth
10-04-2020, 15:11

For peace of mind, buy quality in the first place, instead of repeated inferior cack!

to be fair to it, its probably 10/11years old, and didnt cost a mortgage.. thought about a mac but a lot of stuff ive got is windows based... means extr cost etc

Marco
10-04-2020, 15:21
Yeah I know, mate. I do understand that, and I also understand why some folk wouldn't own an Apple product if it were given to them...

*But* there's no doubt they're a step above anything else in terms of quality and reliability. I've had my Macbook Pro now for nearly seven years, which I bought brand new for £1500, so yes not cheap, however it's not given me a moment's bother in all those years, and it's constantly used for many hours everyday.

And it'll probably last another six, or more, if I keep it that long, so you get what you're paying for, and in the end it's worth it:)

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
10-04-2020, 15:29
I know what you mean, but some guys can suit it, as long as it's nicely styled and kept clean!;)

Do you consider yourself though, as an 'old bloke'? Maybe I will when I'm in my mid-60s, dunno, as right now I don't look particularly old, or feel it... At 87, my dad still talks about 'old folks', as if he's not in that category!:D

Age is a mindset/lifestyle, as much as anything else.

Marco.

Nah, I never said I was old, but then it's all relative. As a ten year old, anyone over twenty would be considered old. As things stand, it's mostly anyone more than twenty years older than me.

What helps me to feel younger is my refusal to listen to folk like yourself who might tell me I'm too old to climb on roofs etc, or to work my body to perform tasks that some 'youngsters' half my age would baulk at. Similarly, anyone telling me I'm to old to wear this, listen to that, will also be ignored.

Only my own body has any say in what I can and can't do, and in the meantime I'll just carry on as I always did :) I do grunt a bit when performing tasks though, I'm told I sound a bit like Jackie Pallo. Or was it Mick McManus? Now I really am showing my age!

struth
10-04-2020, 15:32
ah, mr tv... remember jackie.. all the old grannies hated him

Pigmy Pony
10-04-2020, 15:37
Yeah I know, mate. I do understand that, and I also understand why some folk wouldn't own an Apple product if it were given to them...

*But* there's no doubt they're a step above anything else in terms of quality and reliability. I've had my Macbook Pro now for nearly seven years, which I bought brand new for £1500, so yes not cheap, however it's not given me a moment's bother in all those years, and it's constantly used for many hours everyday.

And it'll probably last another six, or more, if I keep it that long, so you get what you're paying for, and in the end it's worth it:)

Marco.

My Samsung Notebook is eight years old, cost £249, and gets a lot of use. Only problem in that time is the recently-mentioned shitty battery life :)

Pigmy Pony
10-04-2020, 15:41
Obviously Marco this Samsung would not meet your needs - Don't know how many rams of gigabyte it has, but unlikely to be enough. However, it does what I need it to do, and has way more memory than me. Horses for courses.

Made in 1968
10-04-2020, 15:55

I buy quality thats why i uses Winderz :lol:

Marco
10-04-2020, 15:57
What helps me to feel younger is my refusal to listen to folk like yourself who might tell me I'm too old to climb on roofs etc, or to work my body to perform tasks that some 'youngsters' half my age would baulk at.

Lol - I certainly never told you that! You were going on about your difficulty in getting to sleep at night and aches and pains, old man, which is why I mentioned it!:ner:;)

So I commented knowing your age, based on that info. I sleep like a baby every night, pain and ache-free. Seriously though, you've got the right attitude, even though your outlook on life in general, and mine, are a little different:)

Marco.

Marco
10-04-2020, 15:59
I buy quality thats why i uses Winderz :lol:

WinDOZE, lol...

And they're not even UPVC:D

Marco.

Made in 1968
10-04-2020, 16:00
My Samsung Notebook is eight years old, cost £249, and gets a lot of use. Only problem in that time is the recently-mentioned shitty battery life :)

No matter what Brand you use they all use an Hard drive which only last so long, if its seven years old its on borrowed time, its a fact. What generally fails on a pooter is the Hard drive not the operating system.

Grant if your pooter is as old as you say & you are still using the original hard drive you have a miracle unless its not a Physical Hard drive

I use a HP laptop i use 8 hours a day, Had it for yonks but it does not use a Physical SSD but never had a single problem with it. I do have a new Laptop but i bought that to use for music only. Dunno why because i have an older pooter i use for the stereo Files.

Firebottle
10-04-2020, 16:02
... too many men (and women) these days take life WAY too seriously [even before this Coronavirus pandemic] and aren't able to laugh at anything, far less themselves.
Marco.

Time for my 3 monthly blood test for PSA (prostate cancer).
I am always jolly and have been commented to for my happy smile, and before you say it it wasn't wind.

The masked and gloved phlebotomist always says 'sharp scratch' before inserting the cannula, but I was ready this time.
I said 'I prefer little prick, the jokes's better'.

Did she laugh, just a bit :rfl: It was great to lighten the mood in these strange times.

Made in 1968
10-04-2020, 16:06
Never had a check for Prostate, dunno what to do cos no way on earf is anyone going near my arsehole. Can it be tested blood wise initially ?

Marco
10-04-2020, 16:11
Time for my 3 monthly blood test for PSA (prostate cancer).
I am always jolly and have been commented to for my happy smile, and before you say it it wasn't wind.

The masked and gloved phlebotomist always says 'sharp scratch' before inserting the cannula, but I was ready this time.
I said 'I prefer little prick, the jokes's better'.

Did she laugh, just a bit :rfl: It was great to lighten the mood in these strange times.

Nice one, Alan. Hope all goes well, mate:)

Marco.

struth
10-04-2020, 16:12
Never had a check for Prostate, dunno what to do cos no way on earf is anyone going near my arsehole. Can it be tested blood wise initially ?

prostate check is a finger up the ass... gloved finger;):stalks: its fairly uncomfortable but pretty quick. The tablets for it aint great side effects wise with some folk..

AJSki2fly
10-04-2020, 16:13
No matter what Brand you use they all use an Hard drive which only last so long, if its seven years old its on borrowed time, its a fact. What generally fails on a pooter is the Hard drive not the operating system.

Grant if your pooter is as old as you say & you are still using the original hard drive you have a miracle unless its not a Physical Hard drive

I use a HP laptop i use 8 hours a day, Had it for yonks but it does not use a Physical SSD but never had a single problem with it. I do have a new Laptop but i bought that to use for music only. Dunno why because i have an older pooter i use for the stereo Files.

No, all hard drives fail whether spinning disc variety or SSD. Spinning hard drives fail for a variety of reasons, read/write head mechanism wearing out, disc bearing failure causing vibration, physical disk damage due to the read/write head continuisly moving over it, also the control circuitry can fail. Electronic chips in SSDs have a life, and eventually fail, as can RAM. Your HP laptop must have a storage medium of some sort or it would not be able to boot to an OS, unless it is connected to an external one and configured to boot off that.

Made in 1968
10-04-2020, 16:14
Thats never gonna happen then Grant

Marco
10-04-2020, 16:16
prostate check is a finger up the ass... gloved finger;):stalks: its fairly uncomfortable but pretty quick.

Yes, and nothing really to be concerned about unless they sniff their finger afterwards.

Marco.

Made in 1968
10-04-2020, 16:18
Adrian:
The point i was trying to convey tho is Just because a pooter is a certain brand does not mean reliability & a certain Operating system does not equate to problem free operation

Marco
10-04-2020, 16:22
The point i was trying to convey tho is Just because a pooter is a certain brand does not mean reliability & a certain Operating system does not equate to problem free operation

No, nothing's guaranteed, but Apple computers are generally more reliable than Windows machines; certainly my own experience bears that out.

I used to get all sorts of nightmares with Windows machines, especially with viruses, painfully slow running and all sorts of cack, now NOWT. I simply can't be arsed with things that cause me problems, computers or otherwise, so whatever it is, generally gets booted and upgraded, as I like an easy life!:)

Marco.

struth
10-04-2020, 16:27
It's been updated a couple of years ago. May be a bit longer. It's not huge tho and could be switched to a ssd at some time.
It's a hybrid one that's in it.

Made in 1968
10-04-2020, 16:35
When i refer to physical SSD i mean a SSD that can be changed. The laptop i use now you cannot change it. Ive had tons of troubles in the past with stuff you outlined Marco but since using this lappy not an ounce. The pooter i use for the stereo is an old one [Dell Studio Hybird] but i dont use it for anything else but playing files. ive swapped out the old HDD for a new Samsung Evo SSD. plus ive installed an old W7 OS on it. simplicity. fast as lightning and wont run into any problems for a hell of a long time. As i hardly used it when i bought it new. Its ghostly quite too.

AJSki2fly
10-04-2020, 16:40
Adrian:

Quite correct, having worked in several camps IBM, Unix, Data General, Windows of many flavours, And a variety of Apple is OS on many different machines the one common thing is they can and do fail for all sorts of reasons, be it hardware or software. One thing everyone should do if they have any common sense is back their data up and do not really on cloud back ups.

I have also seen lots of Personal Computers that have failed through general abuse by owners, whether laptops or desktop.

Cheers

Made in 1968
10-04-2020, 16:44
Anything of any importance never resides on my pooter anyway, always stored elsewhere & not Cloud.

Pigmy Pony
10-04-2020, 18:35
Lol - I certainly never told you that! You were going on about your difficulty in getting to sleep at night and aches and pains, old man!:ner:;)

So I commented knowing your age, based on that info. I sleep like a baby every night, pain and ache-free. Seriously though, you've got the right attitude, even though your outlook on life in general, and mine, are a little different:)

Marco.

And I told you that the aches and pains came from falling off motorbikes and scaffold, not as a result of what I'm doing for a living these days. As Benny Hill was apt to say: Why you no rissen! :D

And I bet Del is tired of changing your shitty nappy every morning :ner:

Pigmy Pony
10-04-2020, 18:52
Lol - I certainly never told you that! You were going on about your difficulty in getting to sleep at night and aches and pains, old man!:ner:;)

May I direct your attention to post #1433? I think it started with me complaining about aches and pains, then you wrongly (but understandably) assuming the aches were directly caused by what I do for a living right now.

It's hard work, this pointing out folk's mistakes - I don't know how you manage it so much :ner::ner:

It's so much like conversations with my brother - if I don't understand what he's saying it's because I'm thick, if he doesn't understand what I'm saying it's because I'm not explaining it properly! :doh:

Marco
10-04-2020, 19:05
And I told you that the aches and pains came from falling off motorbikes and scaffold, not as a result of what I'm doing for a living these days. As Benny Hill was apt to say: Why you no rissen! :D

And I bet Del is tired of changing your shitty nappy every morning :ner:

Lol - BUT I *have* listened, shweety... Regardless of HOW you obtained your aches and pains, you've still got them! I mentioned about perhaps being too old for the type of job you do BEFORE I knew HOW you'd got your aches and pains, but not since!:ner:

And I only said what I did in the first place because you were moaning about them like and old man, lol.

Keep on taking the anti-senility tablets, as they're clearly not working:D

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
10-04-2020, 19:16
Lol - BUT I *have* listened, shweety... Regardless of HOW you obtained your aches and pains, you've still got them! I mentioned about you perhaps being too old for the type of job you do BEFORE I knew HOW you'd obtained your aches and pains!:ner:

Keep on taking the anti-senility tablets, as they're clearly not working:D

Marco.

I stopped taking the anti-senility tablets because they're not working. It was Anita who insisted I take them anyway. Since I stopped, I've noticed the cocoa she makes me before sleepytime has started tasting funny. Perhaps withdrawal has affected my taste buds.

Made in 1968
10-04-2020, 19:17
Marco's right dude you gotta slow down when you are knocking on.. Fuc all that manual shovelling & lifting i used to do. I wanna live a bit when i retire not pop my cloggs within a year.

Marco
10-04-2020, 19:21
I stopped taking the anti-senility tablets because they're not working. It was Anita who insisted I take them anyway. Since I stopped, I've noticed the cocoa she makes me before sleepytime has started tasting funny. Perhaps withdrawal has affected my taste buds.

It's arsenic mate, she's after your life insurance:eek:

Marco.

walpurgis
10-04-2020, 19:21
I stopped taking the anti-senility tablets because they're not working.

I'd not worry if I were you, before long you won't remember that you needed them. :)

Pigmy Pony
10-04-2020, 19:24
I'd not worry if I were you, before long you won't remember that you needed them. :)

I'm sorry what was the question?

Pigmy Pony
10-04-2020, 19:27
Marco's right dude you gotta slow down when you are knocking on.. Fuc all that manual shovelling & lifting i used to do. I wanna live a bit when i retire not pop my cloggs within a year.

You can pack that right in, agreeing with him. You'll just make him worse. Anyway I've no intention of doing any shovelling and lifting - that what wives are for :)

Pigmy Pony
10-04-2020, 19:37

Marco.

I told her about the taste, she says she's making it with almond milk. So she is looking after me :)

Marco
10-04-2020, 19:55
Anyway I've no intention of doing any shovelling...

I thought you kept a snow shovel, specifically beside the toilet pan to deal with your bottom spillages?

Marco.

AJSki2fly
10-04-2020, 20:20

Marco.

No I have been reliably informed it’s bromide [emoji2958]

Magna Audio
10-04-2020, 20:35
Good stuff, Steve! I can see how that would work if you're disciplined enough and able to stick to a regime, and perhaps aren't really that much of a foodie or boozer...

I *love* my food and wine too much to do that - it's just too much a big part of my life/culture, so I'd be utterly miserable on your diet, although I don't eat or drink to excess and I'm still pretty fit, as I take regular exercise. Plus, I'm in good health, don't take any pills, and suffer from no real aches or pains.

Anyway, hope you can keep up the diet, if it's working for you. How's Marie doing?:)

Marco.Yeah, we're busy isolated gardening.

I fully understand, food and drink are very bound into our social and self way of life.

If I didn't have the feeling of rising inflammation going on in my body, I'd not have done it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Pigmy Pony
11-04-2020, 06:50
No I have been reliably informed it’s bromide [emoji2958]

:lol: Now that explains A LOT! But she still has me taking Viagra, how callous can you get? On the plus side I'm getting more reading done :)

Audio Al
11-04-2020, 19:46
2 days on and OH the pain , Back a bit dodgy , Nice bruise just above my right knee , another bruise on my left bicep

All a bit stiff ( apart from that area ) ;)

Pigmy Pony
12-04-2020, 08:06
Yes, and nothing really to be concerned about unless they sniff their finger afterwards.

Marco.

Or if they put on one of those vet 'gloves' which go up to the armpit.

Marco
12-04-2020, 08:49
Indeed... And finish off the process with a 'knowing smile'.

Marco.

struth
12-04-2020, 08:55
in some cases a full body suit;)

Marco
12-04-2020, 09:06
With splatter shields:D

Marco.

Mikeandvan
12-04-2020, 22:25
My dad was still working in construction into his 70s, not through choice I guess, still he was strong as an ox. Staying active will keep you young, with periods of extreme benders, inertia is the worst thing for you, you see so many lazy old people around, and they look miserable, usually taking up loading only bays to do some shopping, God I hate them.

Pigmy Pony
13-04-2020, 08:05
My dad was still working in construction into his 70s, not through choice I guess, still he was strong as an ox. Staying active will keep you young, with periods of extreme benders, inertia is the worst thing for you, you see so many lazy old people around, and they look miserable, usually taking up loading only bays to do some shopping, God I hate them.

I'd agree with that Mike, I think staying busy keeps you connected with the world, and gives you a sense of still having a role to play in it. Unless you hate what you're doing of course. Which is why I'll keep working as long as I still enjoy it and my body will let me.

Jigsaw puzzles and a bit of gardening ain't gonna do it for me, and I don't think I'd live long with that.

Pigmy Pony
13-04-2020, 08:15
It's just occurred to me that my above comments might look a bit insensitive - not everyone will be physically able to keep going after retirement, but in my case it's all I'm any good at :(

struth
13-04-2020, 08:18
I think the idea you hate folk who are maybe not as fit as you or your dad as old age aproaches is fairly unfair(see what I did there)
Im disabled so i must be hated by you for not being as fit. sad days indeed..:rolleyes:

walpurgis
13-04-2020, 08:26
I think the idea you hate folk who are maybe not as fit as you or your dad as old age aproaches is fairly unfair(see what I did there)
Im disabled so i must be hated by you for not being as fit. sad days indeed..:rolleyes:

Yes, some are simply not as capable as others. I regard myself as fortunate to be able-bodied (despite a recent setback), many older folk are not so lucky.

Marco
13-04-2020, 08:28
I'd agree with that Mike, I think staying busy keeps you connected with the world, and gives you a sense of still having a role to play in it. Unless you hate what you're doing of course. Which is why I'll keep working as long as I still enjoy it and my body will let me.

Jigsaw puzzles and a bit of gardening ain't gonna do it for me, and I don't think I'd live long with that.

Indeed, but there are LOTS of ways of staying busy, other than just working, or doing gardening and jigsaw puzzles!:D

What about spending more time with family and loved ones/grandkids? Is that a boring/un-fulfilling, or a non-option for all the perennial workaholics among us, fiercely shunning retirement?:ner:

Plus, when this pandemic is over, and things return to some semblance of normality, there's a WHOLE WORLD out there to travel to and explore, so anyone who retires and is healthy and remotely adventurous, I'm sure will find PLENTY to do, rather than simply staying put in their immediate environment, doing the boring same old, same old, until they pop their clogs...;)

Marco.

Marco
13-04-2020, 08:34
Yes, some are simply not as capable as others. I regard myself as fortunate to be able-bodied (despite a recent setback), many older folk are not so lucky.

Yup, sure. If you're incapable, mentally or physically, to stay active and enjoy life, then fair enough. However, if you're not and still fairly fit, then if you can afford to retire, there's plenty to keep you busy, *if* you have hobbies, and your life up until retirement didn't solely revolve around work!

For me that's the big problem... If you're 'married to work', and your job *IS* your life, then it's hard to imagine life without it.

God willing, I intend to be like my dad, who at 87 certainly isn't idle or bored - just indeed as he was when he retired at 62!:)

Marco.

Mikeandvan
13-04-2020, 08:35

No you missed the joke, old people taking up loading bays, perfectly abled bodies old people too, they're just lazy., they ain't got blue badges in their cars either.

Pigmy Pony
13-04-2020, 08:37
You are both right of course, and I apologise for my insensitivity. My view came from my own idleness during this time of confinement, imagining my retirement to be like this for me.

I stand by my opinion of jigsaw puzzles though :(

Pigmy Pony
13-04-2020, 08:55
Indeed, but there are LOTS of ways of staying busy, other than just working, or doing gardening and jigsaw puzzles!:D

What about spending more time with family and loved ones/grandkids? Is that a boring/un-fulfilling, or a non-option for all the perennial workaholics among us, fiercely shunning retirement?:ner:

Plus, when this pandemic is over, and things return to some semblance of normality, there's a WHOLE WORLD out there to travel to and explore for those of us with money in the bank, so anyone who retires and is healthy, wealthy and remotely adventurous, I'm sure will find PLENTY to do, rather than simply staying put in their immediate environment, doing the boring same old, same old, until they pop their clogs...;)

Marco.

I'm glad to see that you made some changes to paragraph 3, makes the message a bit more 'real world'.

Of course I will have more time for my kids/grandkids, but I won't be landing on their doorstep every day. The inbetween days will be taken up with whatever we can afford to do. (This is where you tell me again that you've been planning for your retirement since primary school :))

I'm not going to waste any more time speculating on my future, as fate has this habit of shitting all over plans. No one thought that summer 2020 would look like this, did they?

Marco
13-04-2020, 09:15
Lol - I wasn't planning my retirement since primary school [rather since my early 20s], *but* where you and I fundamentally differ is the role that work plays in your life and, crucially, it's *ultimate purpose*.

That is where our outlook and goals are very different. In that respect, I'd have been just as depressed as you were [probably more so], at the thought of 'doing nothing' when you can no longer work, if I'd thought that I'd have nothing better to look forward to than working into my dotage, or up until a point where I became a physical wreck, and was fit for nothing much more than the scrapheap...

For me, that'd have been 'slit your wrists material', and I know my dad would've felt the same.

Marco.

Marco
13-04-2020, 09:19
I'm glad to see that you made some changes to paragraph 3, makes the message a bit more 'real world'.

Lol - I didn't, you did! But that depends on the 'world' you were brought up in and inhabit. In that respect, mine is as 'real' as yours:)

Surely the whole point of working your bollox off is to build a future for yourself and/or family, and when you retire, have a few quid in your pocket, with which to enjoy yourself, doing things you love that weren't possible when you were working? And if you've been in any way successful/lucky during your working life, that should be possible before you reach 70, or sooner.

Returning to what we discussing before, are you saying then, that if you had the money to do the things I've outlined, your outlook and approach to retirement would be completely different, or even if you were loaded and could afford to travel the world, you'd still carry on working until you drop dead, just because 'ya lurves it'?:D;)

That last bit is what I can't fathom about multi-millionaire (or worse billionaire) workaholics!:mental:

After I'd made my first couple of million, you wouldn't see me for DUST!!! :wave::hotrod:

Marco [there HAS to be more to LIFE than just work].

Pigmy Pony
13-04-2020, 09:52
Lol - that depends on the 'world' you were brought up in and are used to living in! In that respect, mine is as 'real' as yours:)

So are you saying then, that if you had the money to do the things I've outlined, your outlook and approach to retirement would be completely different, or even if you were loaded and could afford to travel the world, you'd still carry on working until you're 90, just because ya lurves it?:D;)

That last bit is what I can't fathom about multi-millionaire workaholics!

Marco.

Your first post on this subject made no mention of the small matter of affordability. Which is an important consideration for most of us, hence the amendments :) If someone with the means to travel or fulfil their ambitions choose not to, well they need a talking to.

Of course if I had the money to travel the world I would, but I don't, so I won't. Instead I will find enjoyment and fulfilment in what I can afford. And to think I apologised a couple of posts back for my insensitivity! :ner:

This post has taken me some time as I've written/rewritten it several times. You may gather from this that you have pushed one or two buttons which were happy to stay unpushed.

Still love you dearly though! :kiss:

AJSki2fly
13-04-2020, 10:08
Your first post on this subject made no mention of the small matter of affordability. Which is an important consideration for most of us, hence the amendments :) If someone with the means to travel or fulfil their ambitions choose not to, well they need a talking to.

Of course if I had the money to travel the world I would, but I don't, so I won't. Instead I will find enjoyment and fulfilment in what I can afford. And to think I apologised a couple of posts back for my insensitivity! :ner:

This post has taken me some time as I've written/rewritten it several times. You may gather from this that you have pushed one or two buttons which were happy to stay unpushed.

Talking about using buttons, you need to push you Inbox button if your have not recently.:):eyebrows:

Marco
13-04-2020, 10:19

As I've said (if you read it), by the time you reach 65/70, if you've been at all lucky or successful in your working life, stayed reasonably healthy and planned for your future financially, through savings, pension funds/investments or whatever, you *should* be able to enjoy some sort of decent standard of living (or better) by the time you reach that age, without having to work.

Essentially, you should be able to afford to have some FUN in your old age! However, I realise that it's not always possible and there are no guarantees of such, for a whole host of reasons, *but* all going reasonably well, it should be a realistically achievable goal for most.

I'm not intending to 'push buttons', daftee; just have an open and frank discussion with you about an important subject, on which we clearly have very differing views, and that's is fine. However, I've always been the type to 'say it as I see it', as sensitively as possible, so with respect if you can't handle that then it's best we just stick to discussing Fart Gas!:D;)

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
13-04-2020, 11:02
Talking about using buttons, you need to push you Inbox button if your have not recently.:):eyebrows:

Cheers Adrian, pm read and replied to :)

Pigmy Pony
13-04-2020, 11:21
As I've said (if you read it), by the time you reach 65/70, if you've been at all lucky or successful in your working life, stayed reasonably healthy and planned for your future financially, through savings, pension funds/investments or whatever, you *should* be able to enjoy some sort of decent standard of living (or better) by the time you reach that age, without having to work.

Essentially, you should be able to afford to have some FUN in your old age! However, I realise that it's not always possible and there are no guarantees of such, for a whole host of reasons, *but* all going reasonably well, it should be a realistically achievable goal for most.

I'm not intending to 'push buttons', daftee; just have an open and frank discussion with you about an important subject, on which we clearly have very differing views, and that's is fine. However, I've always been the type to 'say it as I see it', as sensitively as possible, so with respect if you can't handle that then it's best we just stick to discussing Fart Gas!:D;)

Marco.

Hey, I'm not a one-trick-pony, I can discuss other things too! For instance we haven't discussed the correlation between diet and log consistency yet. And I am surprised that a man of your means hasn't investigated colonic irrigation, I know I'm saving up to have it done :)