PDA

View Full Version : Happy accident, switched off the LED lighting circuit....

Intenso
07-04-2020, 15:22
Switched off my lighting ring today to replace an LED downlight.

Left it switched off while I had a cuppa and forgot my task, getting old!

Sat down to listen to a few chunes and thought WOW the system is sounding very good today!

And then it dawned on me!

I simply can't believe how much noise my lighting system is introducing into the mains.

I have LED downlighters throughout all the ceiling lights with a few Hive bulbs thrown in (networked lightbulbs).

Not sure which is noisey but the effect is similar to when I had noise due to network plugs, that I threw in the bin!

I'm guessing that it may be the Hive bulbs, so will be removing them when I finnish this listenting session.

Love a free tweak :) and the improvement is considerable. Much improved depth, slam and sweetness...

Audio Al
07-04-2020, 16:58
You better order some candles :)

Intenso
07-04-2020, 17:32

;)

Well its not the Hive bulbs :(

Might be the downlighters or maybe a dimmer switch...

Might install a dedicated mains at some point.

Barry
07-04-2020, 17:50
Yes - best to install a dedicated mains. And use a completely separate RCBO, and not a 'spare way' in the consumer unit.

Pharos
07-04-2020, 22:01

No no no, under high bass transients the flame will flutter about and you know the noise that makes.

Macca
08-04-2020, 07:24
No no no, under high bass transients the flame will flutter about and you know the noise that makes.

'Candle In The Wind'

Pigmy Pony
08-04-2020, 13:10
I could wax lyrical about the sonic benefits of candles, but I don't want to get on your wick.

Made in 1968
08-04-2020, 13:12
:D

legb4rsk
16-04-2020, 18:23
If it sounds that good you might end up burning the candle at both ends.

Wegamus
16-04-2020, 22:04
If it sounds that good you might end up burning the candle at both ends.

Have a blow out and turn the wick up. You know it makes incense!

graham67
16-04-2020, 22:15
The chief culprit in my system was a adjustable hue and dimmable LED task wand style lamp I bought to the illuminate the turntable. It cause all sorts of unpleasant noise in my valve phono stage. I went back to an even cheaper IKEA lamp that didn't cause any noise and the problem was solved