PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Dynavector 10x5 - Options?

gazcarts
29-06-2010, 21:24
HI all,

It has been a few weeks since I last posted on the forum and quite a lot of my gear has changed.

I managed to get a beautiful used Michell Gyrodec SE complete with RB300 and AT440 for an excellent price on Ebay. I also bagged a new Jelco SA-750D for a bargain price and mounted that on the Gyrodec.

Unfortunately, tonight I somehow managed to damage the Dynavector 10x5 mounted on the Jelco. The cantilever was bent to one side, twisted, and the diamond stylus appears to be completely missing. I'm not sure how it happened; I certainly don't recall giving it a knock.

Anyway, thankfully I have a Roksan Corus Black which I can use in the interim. Question is, what do I do about the 10x5? Is it worth repairing? I've seen something about Expert Pickups doing repairs but can't seem to find their website at the moment. Also, is it worth making a claim on my home insurance? (I have accidental damage cover).

If the 10x5 isn't worth repairing, what would be a suitable replacment, given the turntable and tonearm I am using? The Corus Black sounds quite nice, but seems to be lacking in bass compared to the 10x5.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Have found a contact number for Expert Stylus & Cartridge Company, which I assume is the one referred to on the forums?

Regards

gazcarts
05-07-2010, 18:54
Hi peeps,

Thanks for all the helpful replies ;)

Spoke to Expert Stylus last week and they advise against repairing the 10x5 due to cost.

They will take it in part-ex for one of the their cartridges, and their modified Denon DL-103 is of great interest. Time to start saving :)

Regards

DSJR
05-07-2010, 19:37
Pear Audio, the UK importers, offer an exchange scheme at 25% off the new cost.

My only criticism of the 10XV was the price, not the performance, but the Jelco can take far more and if Big Moog see's this, I understand he has had his 103's EsCo'd (oo-er missus) and rates them highly. You'll need a decent step-up and the A23 seems to be where it's at.

One other - the Sumiko BPS Evo3. Skeletal, but sounds better than the 10XV IMO..

gazcarts
05-07-2010, 19:55
Pear Audio, the UK importers, offer an exchange scheme at 25% off the new cost.

My only criticism of the 10XV was the price, not the performance, but the Jelco can take far more and if Big Moog see's this, I understand he has had his 103's EsCo'd (oo-er missus) and rates them highly. You'll need a decent step-up and the A23 seems to be where it's at.

One other - the Sumiko BPS Evo3. Skeletal, but sounds better than the 10XV IMO..

Thanks Dave, I'll take a look at those suggestions. As you know I have a Tag PPA20 so don't need an SUT. I realise many may not consider this the best option, but I like it and don't want to spend a fortune on upgrades (this hobby has already cost me more than enough!).

With the PPA20 would your recommendations still be valid or would you consider them overkill for my setup?

Regards

DSJR
05-07-2010, 20:06
The TAG was based on the Audiolab phono stage and at several hundred quid it was upper mid-end to top-end fifteen years ago. TAG fitted better components in critical places, so this unit should be well up to scratch :oops:

gazcarts
05-07-2010, 20:10
The TAG was based on the Audiolab phono stage and at several hundred quid it was upper mid-end to top-end fifteen years ago. TAG fitted better components in critical places, so this unit should be well up to scratch :oops:

Was about to edit my earlier post but you beat me to it. Also now realise the Sumiko is relatively low cost HO MC. It sounded much more expensive :)

Would love to hear more opionions on the Expert Stylus modded 103.

Thanks again

gazcarts
10-07-2010, 10:54
Thanks to Nick (Scoobs) I am now the proud owner of a Nagaoka MP-500. It sounds absolutely lovely so I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Hopefully, assuming I stay away from Ebay, I can resist the urge for further upgrades for a few months i.e HR PSU, Orbe Clamp, Orbe Platter, etc, etc, etc :)

Off to listen to some vinyl....

Have a good weekend.

Marco
10-07-2010, 11:57
Thanks to Nick (Scoobs) I am now the proud owner of a Nagaoka MP-500. It sounds absolutely lovely so I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Fantastic cartridge - I've been recommending the Nagaokas for ages, so it looks like Nick must've been paying attention! ;)

Enjoy your latest acquisition, Gary. Don't let go of it too easily, as you'd struggle to better it for under £1.5k - I kid you not! :)

Marco.

gazcarts
10-07-2010, 13:04
Fantastic cartridge - I've been recommending the Nagaokas for ages, so it looks like Nick must've been paying attention! ;)

Enjoy your latest acquisition, Gary. Don't let go of it too easily, as you'd struggle to better it for under £1.5k - I kid you not! :)

Marco.

Thanks Marco,

I remember you recommending these, hence why I was so keen to buy it, especially at such an irresistable price.

Regards