PDA

View Full Version : Posting kit

paulf-2007
30-03-2020, 10:24
As I'm shut in for 12 weeks and not even allowed to go shopping I was wondering if people were still posting items of kit. I saw a turntable I wanted in Russia but as it is now I won't add to the burden of all that would be involved in getting it here so I've contacted the seller explaining the situation and my concerns. Are you all still posting stuff

hifinutt
30-03-2020, 10:59
one still has to get food and pay the bills so as long as one keeps within government guidelines i think one can still post

hifi_dave
30-03-2020, 11:08
I sent out a few items last week by DHL.

paulf-2007
30-03-2020, 11:23
I suppose the best way is for the courier to collect.

hornucopia
30-03-2020, 12:37
POstal deliveries still O.K., and parcel vans still appear here.

Stokiebloke
30-03-2020, 13:04
...but should we be asking a courier to make what is in reality 'a non-essential' trip?

...and as the virus has a 72 hour shelf life on hard surfaces is this another method of travel for the virus to get around?

...just my take on the situation....

....stay safe, enjoy the music while we can, swop kit later!

walpurgis
30-03-2020, 13:39
the virus has a 72 hour shelf life on hard surfaces

That's an assumption, but not definitive.

alcarmichael
30-03-2020, 13:53
Surely if the virus could live on parcels all delivery's would have been stopped.

walpurgis
30-03-2020, 14:06
Surely if the virus could live on parcels all delivery's would have been stopped.

I wouldn't make that assumption at all. Currently, anything delivered here is being quarantined for a couple of weeks.

alcarmichael
30-03-2020, 14:30
Why not? There’d be absolutely no purpose in social distancing, isolation and semi-lockdown if the virus could be spread on mail.

alcarmichael
30-03-2020, 14:32
*I’m now stopping working from home to do some research on this! :lol:*

walpurgis
30-03-2020, 14:35
Do as you wish. I'm being careful.

alcarmichael
30-03-2020, 14:58
After some research it would appear that the virus can live for around 24 hours on porous materials such as paper and cardboard. On hard surfaces such as plastic, glass and metal - up to 72 hours. Maybe some mail quarantine isn’t such a bad idea after all ��

walpurgis
30-03-2020, 15:06
After some research it would appear that the virus can live for around 24 hours on porous materials such as paper and cardboard. On hard surfaces such as plastic, glass and metal - up to 72 hours. Maybe some mail quarantine isn’t such a bad idea after all ��

I would not regard that as set in stone. It seems to be largely opinion and I don't think anybody has absolute answers.

Hence my two week quarantine on incoming items.

struth
30-03-2020, 15:13
ive been leaving stuff for 24/24 hrs, then opening / disposing of packaging somewhere.. wash hands twice the leve the thing another day plus.

Jac Hawk
30-03-2020, 15:37
So how the hell do you guys buy food:scratch::scratch: if you go to the shop someone could have touched the packaging before you and the same if it's delivered, someone has to pick the things up and put them into a bag.

struth
30-03-2020, 15:42
So how the hell do you guys buy food:scratch::scratch: if you go to the shop someone could have touched the packaging before you and the same if it's delivered, someone has to pick the things up and put them into a bag.

i dont.. not been out for a long time.. living on freezer and tins tbh.

paulf-2007
30-03-2020, 15:48
...but should we be asking a courier to make what is in reality 'a non-essential' trip?

...and as the virus has a 72 hour shelf life on hard surfaces is this another method of travel for the virus to get around?

...just my take on the situation....

....stay safe, enjoy the music while we can, swop kit later!my thoughts too. Everyone can do what they like but I don't want any unnecessary post. This morning some junk mail from a supermarket went strsight in recycling and I washed my hands.

paulf-2007
30-03-2020, 15:53
I had a parcel of face masks sent from a friend with a factory making them, I opened the plastic bag, tipped the contents out in its bag and binned the plastic bag, washed my hands then removed the masks into another bag, binned that bag and washed my hands. My wife is on cancer treatment so taking no chances, also not allowed out for 12 weeks so relying on neighbours for the usual things like bread and milk. I avoid the word essentials as nothing is essential

alcarmichael
30-03-2020, 16:06
I would not regard that as set in stone. It seems to be largely opinion and I don't think anybody has absolute answers.

Hence my two week quarantine on incoming items.

That information was provided by scientific research.

walpurgis
30-03-2020, 16:13
That information was provided by scientific research.

And no doubt qualified with terms such as "should be", "expected to" and "anticipated", etc.

mad-moon
30-03-2020, 16:41
Why not? There’d be absolutely no purpose in social distancing, isolation and semi-lockdown if the virus could be spread on mail.

We'll all find out shortly...as we open our letters from Boris....

walpurgis
30-03-2020, 16:43
We'll all find out shortly...as we open our letters from Boris....

He has apparently sent out thirty million. Must have taken him ages to put stamps on.

struth
30-03-2020, 16:45
He has apparently sent out thirty million. Must have taken him ages to put stamps on.

so thats where all the bog roll went;)

mad-moon
30-03-2020, 17:25
well in excess of 5 million quid to send them...emails would have been cheaper and safer....

Jac Hawk
30-03-2020, 17:40
I had a parcel of face masks sent from a friend with a factory making them, I opened the plastic bag, tipped the contents out in its bag and binned the plastic bag, washed my hands then removed the masks into another bag, binned that bag and washed my hands. My wife is on cancer treatment so taking no chances, also not allowed out for 12 weeks so relying on neighbours for the usual things like bread and milk. I avoid the word essentials as nothing is essential

I get it if you have a suppressed immune system, did you not ask the hospital to supply you with some

CageyH
30-03-2020, 18:01
To answer the original question, yes. I am still posting kit. I run a loan scheme in Europe for a HiFi manufacturer. People have time on their hands and it is a good time to listen to new kit. It also helps the manufacturer keep going.

vinylsnail
30-03-2020, 18:13
I'm a postie, so I'm handling this 'infected' mail for several hours everyday - including loads of packets from China (yes, people are still ordering from china) Try as I might, it's impossible to be absolutely 'safe' when out delivering. It's difficult not to touch your face for five hours and now that all the non essential places are closed, there's nowhere to wash our hands. I do have some hand sanitiser (not supplied by Royal Mail I hasten to add), but realistically, I'll not get a chance to use that more than once an hour.
Anyway... I've not been infected. None of my colleagues have been infected, so I can only conclude that the gestation period for this virus on surfaces is quite short. This isn't scientific, but it is a observation based on several weeks experience. Personally, when I get mail and packages, I open them, discard the packaging and wash my hands - just in case. The greatest risk seems to be being touched by, or being coughed/sneezed on my someone infected.

Made in 1968
30-03-2020, 19:38
Curry-iers should still be doing what they do. Ive had two this week :D .

Seems to be a quicker service than normal which is odd!

Audio Al
30-03-2020, 20:02
I'm Andre.

did you get my PM ?

paulf-2007
30-03-2020, 20:43
I get it if you have a suppressed immune system, did you not ask the hospital to supply you with somei didn't know my friend was sending them until yesterday and they arrived today. Hospitals are not supplying marks as they need all that they have. Besides we cannot go out so won't need them. Since posting this morning the consultant phoned to say she is to stop taking the treatment due to affecting her immune system and being more at risk of catching the virus and that there is more risk taking the treatment than not taking it as the cancer is under control, how long that will be without the treatment. More worrying is that should she get the virus they won't take her into hospital as it will take a place from someone more likely to survive, not quite in those words but pretty worrying.