PDA

View Full Version : Ortofon ST80SE

enrae8
26-03-2020, 20:49
Anybody out there used one of these with their Ortofon MC cart
I keep wondering what it might bring to the game - should I try one?
I have a decent Phono that does both MC and MM - you know how it is theres always something gnawing away !!!:eek:

Ammonite Audio
27-03-2020, 06:54
There are much better sounding step up transformers available for much less money. I once bought an ST-80SE thinking that it would be a natural match for a Kontrapunkt B, and soon found otherwise. That aside, I do find that most MM phono stages are actually pretty decent, but ones with switchable MC gain are often disappointing when used with MC cartridges; however they are almost always good for MMs and the cheapie Schiit Mani is a good example of this. Using a good SUT between a MC cartridge and the MM phono input of a switchable MM/MC phono stage often sounds much more vibrant, dynamic and simply more enjoyable, compared to the direct MC input. There are exceptions, of course, but engineering a good MC phono amp is not cheap, and you only have to look at really exceptional designs like the Paradise to see that.

I do sell SUTs, of course, but the above is my honest opinion based on years of experience and mistakes. The ST-80SE was definitely a mistake, and long before I became professionally involved with audio, the ST-80SE replaced a little Bob's Devices SUT that was very nice indeed - I made the mistake of selling the Bob's before receiving the ST-80SE!

scotty38
27-03-2020, 11:18
I have an Ortofon Type 2-15k I would be prepared to let go.....

enrae8
27-03-2020, 11:39
I have an Ortofon Type 2-15k I would be prepared to let go.....
Thanks - It is only the ST80 that I may be interested in

eatapeach
27-03-2020, 12:39
There are much better sounding step up transformers available for much less money.

Could you name a few for research purposes?

scotty38
27-03-2020, 12:59
Thanks - It is only the ST80 that I may be interested in

No problem, just thought I'd mention it :)

Audio Al
27-03-2020, 13:46
I own a ST80SE and think its really good , Had it for years ,

It's been to Scalford Hall and Kegworth numerous times with good comments on how my stytem sounded :)

Ammonite Audio
27-03-2020, 14:43
Could you name a few for research purposes?

For most Ortofon cartridges you need 20x gain (26dB) or thereabouts, and there are plenty to choose from. I'll only talk about those which I have owned or heard, and that does include the Ortofon ST-80SE.

One of my customers has a lovely little SUT from NJC Audio but for some reason they will only sell it with the partnering MM phono preamp, which is a great shame, but I'd certainly recommend that one. Next, Bob's Devices (https://www.bobsdevices.com/product-page/sky-cinemag) in the States make great little SUTs around Cinemag transformers, and it was one of those that I had before the ST-80SE. From my own shop, I do genuinely recommend the Phasemation T-300 SUT (https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product/phasemation-t-300-transformer/), which is a relatively sensible £550 yet has a substantial, sweet and spacious sound plus build quality that really surprised me - it is very quiet, too.

If anyone is daft enough to be selling a used SUT built around Hashimoto transformers, and particularly the HM-7, that would definitely be a good option.

I'm happy for anyone who is pleased with their Ortofon ST-80SE, but that SUT was one of those 'unheard' purchases in my audio history that was a definite mistake, particularly since it replaced a cheaper Bob's Devices SUT that was quite a lot better in every respect, bar looks.

phonomac
27-03-2020, 15:05
I have to say I am in the camp of those who enjoy their ST-80se. I have used it with Ortofon Kontrapunkt B (standard and modded) and my Ortofon Vienna. It replaced my own built SUT using Hashimoto HM-3s and in my system the Ortofon was better.

Wakefield Turntables
27-03-2020, 15:06
Hi Hugo,

I've got the ST80SE with Ortofon Cadenza black. Sounds ok to me. I've always fancied trying a HM7 variant. The Phasemation sounds interesting as well.

Andy

Slawts
27-03-2020, 21:33
Using a Rothwell MCL through a valve MM phono stage (3x Mullard ECC83's) witha Jubilee. Very happy but never tried the ST80.

Did have a Noteworthy Audio step up which was decent and great for the money. Rothwell marginally better.