PDA

View Full Version : Speed Box II External Power Controller Review

Hypnotoad
29-06-2010, 15:01
(I misspelled controller, go figure! Maybe if Marco reads this he will correct it?) [DONE!] - Marco.

It finally arrived a week late but it got here that's the main thing.

I ordered it for my Pro-Ject Perspective II which has separate motor for 33 & 45 rpm. Sounds silly I know but I don't have any 45's so it didn't worry me when I bought it. The idea is that the belt is always running on the same part of the platter.

Now with the speed box you can change from 33 to 45 with a push of a button.

According to Pro-Ject it uses:

Quartz locked high precision electronic speed regulation.
Clean Quartz clock generated sinus wave voltage decoupled from mains interference.

Apparently the AC synchronous motor in the turntable locks onto the mains frequency and not the voltage, the Speed Box II puts out the appropriate frequencies for 33 & 45 rpm with greater accuracy, therefore giving more speed control. I am not an electrical engineer so don't quote me.

Speed accuracy is something that most DD owners need not worry about.

But for belt drives it can be a problem, with this you get near DD speed accuracy out of a belt drive. Or so they say.

What does this mean to me the listener?

Immediately I noticed the sound was much more focused, just like when you hit that spot with binoculars everything becomes clear.

I hear things I didn't notice because of the added clarity, the instruments are much more defined.

Everything has tightened up. Vocals are smoother, drums beats more precise, cymbals crisper, guitar plucks clearer etc.

My speakers give a very large sound stage and this thing has really opened things up.

I think part of a belt drive's warmth comes from coloration because of lack of speed control, this seems to have cured that, my system is much more accurate and that's a good thing. Warmth from coloration causes fatigue IMO.

To sum it up it's like getting a much better cartridge but for less money.

A bonus is that now I have two motors, the only difference in them is the pulley, so if the one I am using now wears out I have a spare, simply change the pulley over and viola.

Another thing is these will work with a lot of turntables, Music Halls, Thorens etc any that use a AC synchronous motor of 16V or so I am told.

If you have a suitable belt drive turntable and you want greater speed accuracy with the benefits of much better sound, at $165.00 U.S. delivered I consider it a bargain.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Speed-Box-II?sc=2&category=647

Tea24
30-06-2010, 08:40
I use the larger (& more expensive) Speedbox SE II with my Nottingham Analogue Interspace Junior & the speed is within 0.15% of true speed as measured with a stop watch & my KAB Speed Strobe (broadcast standard is 0.3%) and this gives all the sonic improvements you mention and more.

IMHO all belt drives need a speed controller if only to counteract the vagaries of the mains supply. Worth every penny.;)

chris@panteg
30-06-2010, 09:56
Its interesting to note that with the 1210 an upgraded psu seems to loosen things up a little as its to tight as standard , with belt driven decks its the opposite ? so it seems .

Hypnotoad
30-06-2010, 14:07
Its interesting to note that with the 1210 an upgraded psu seems to loosen things up a little as its to tight as standard , with belt driven decks its the opposite ? so it seems .

Maybe it's a happy medium on both?