PDA

View Full Version : HDMI cables - do they all perform the same?

Pigmy Pony
26-03-2020, 10:26
Morning guys,

I've noticed that on certain TV programmes (especially The Walking Dead) a sort of picture "artefact", ie on darkish scenes there are what I can only describe as 'blocks' on moving images, and strange graduated lines which look like contour lines on a map!

I decided to bypass my A/v amp, which is an 8 year old Sony (I previously went from Sky Q 2TB to amp to 4K telly) and go straight from Sky to telly. This seems to have cured picture problem, although I'm now without surround sound. Oh well, it'll do till I can afford a new 4K A/v amp.

The old HDMI lead that went from Sky to amp was too short to reach telly, but I've found a longer one still in it's bag. Unbranded, a bit cheap looking, and just says "high speed HDMI cable" on the lead. It's working, but would I get better picture/sound if I spent more money on one? And If so, any recommendations?

Gazjam
26-03-2020, 11:06
Worth upgrading your HDMI cable, had a lot in my system and seen obvious differences.
This one is highly recommended, and not expensive if you want to take a punt.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/27Gbps-High-Speed-HDMI-2-0b-Cable-Gold/dp/B07PMTQFJD/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hdmi+cable+27gb+hdr&qid=1571056139&sr=8-3&th=1

Spectral Morn
26-03-2020, 11:32
Better hdmi cant improve digital broadcast artefacts ( blockiness is that) but it can let more detail shine through on good hd picture. I use audioquest pearl hdmi cables

Pigmy Pony
26-03-2020, 13:54
"Blockiness" I think had something to do with the A/V amp, as it seems to have gone now that I'm going directly from Sky to TV.

Thanks for the recommendation Neil, but I saw some Audioquest cables on Amazon earlier, and prices ranged from :eek: to :eek::eek::eek: TV mostly gets used for her soaps, and I have no interest in seeing every last wrinkle on Dot Cotton's face, so Adrian's choice is a bit more in line with my requirements.

Is there a cable you can recommend which will completely ruin Corrie, 'Benders and Emmers? I would pay good money for that

Cheers guys :)

Made in 1968
26-03-2020, 13:57
I thought they were all the same with a large degree of Bull shite marketing but ill admit i was wrong. I bought a Chord C View i can see the differences connecting Blue Ray machine.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/chord-c-view-hdmi-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyqSyiqW46AIVFuDtCh16IQG gEAQYASABEgL81fD_BwE

Pigmy Pony
26-03-2020, 14:06
I've just looked up Audioquest Pearl cables, and the price is not bad at all! Unlike the ones I saw earlier which cost hundreds. I'll pick one or the other when I finally start earning wages again.

Again, thanks guys.

Pigmy Pony
26-03-2020, 14:15
I thought they were all the same with a large degree of Bull shite marketing but ill admit i was wrong. I bought a Chord C View i can see the differences connecting Blue Ray machine.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/chord-c-view-hdmi-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyqSyiqW46AIVFuDtCh16IQG gEAQYASABEgL81fD_BwE

Another worthy contender, but at 45 bones for a 1.5 metre run it's a little outside of my budget. I know I'm being a bit of a tightwad, but really the best cable in the world won't make EastEnders watchable :(

Made in 1968
26-03-2020, 14:18
Na bought all my Chord C cables second hand. On plonkers pay new prices

Pigmy Pony
26-03-2020, 14:20
Just realised I posted this in Analogue Arts instead of AV studio. :doh: Mods, feel free to give me a good spanking :spank:

Jac Hawk
26-03-2020, 14:25
Steve save your money i'll get you some from work, Kramer 4K HDMI, what length and how many?

Jac Hawk
26-03-2020, 14:26
Just realised I posted this in Analogue Arts instead of AV studio. :doh: Mods, feel free to give me a good spanking :spank:

They would but you would probably enjoy it you big perv

Pigmy Pony
26-03-2020, 15:12
Thanks Mike, another kind offer from my favourite hifi enthusiast living near a good chippy :) it's just one 1.5 metre jobbie I was after

Pigmy Pony
26-03-2020, 18:32
They would but you would probably enjoy it you big perv

And being a self-employed deviant I wouldn't get my spanking till June :(

Jac Hawk
26-03-2020, 21:11
No problem Steve, i'm busy tomorrow but i'll get one on Monday, send me a PM with your address and i'll leave it on your door step

archiesdad
01-04-2020, 17:20
I remember "chippies", Oh for a fish/haggis/chipsteak supper wi' salt n sauce.