PDA

View Full Version : The Cartridge Man MusicMaster

CageyH
22-03-2020, 18:23
Does anybody use one?
Is it a significant step up from a Classic?

I like what I hear from the Classic I bought, and it has made me wonder if the upgrade is worth the additional cost?

Jac Hawk
22-03-2020, 21:38
It's a big chunk of money, if it was me i'd definitely want to hear it first preferably on my system, i use the Audio Technica Art9 and haven't heard anything i'd trade for it yet, although when funds allow i wouldn't mind getting an Art1000

CageyH
23-03-2020, 17:31
The ART-9 is on my list of nice to haves.
I am wondering if keeping the Classic as a Classic, and adding an ART-9 is the most sensible option.

The ART-1000 is a little above what I feel happy spending on a cartridge.

WESTLOWER
23-03-2020, 19:41
I had both the Classic and the Music Master LE
They obviously are both very very good..
I think the Music Master gives more refinement, is it worth the extra lay out..
That’s a matter of opinion obv.
Although they are utterly great cartridges I feel they lack flesh through the ranges when compared to a top MC and a good Step Up.

If I put my neck on the line, I’d say no I wouldn’t lay out that amount again on a Moving magnet/ iron. But when not comparing with top MCs, one could live comfortably with with Classic or Master.

Jac Hawk
23-03-2020, 19:42
The ART-1000 is a little above what I feel happy spending on a cartridge.

Normally it would be for me too, but luckily the company i work for have an account with Audio Technica so i get a nice discount

CageyH
23-03-2020, 19:55
I had both the Classic and the Music Master LE
They obviously are both very very good..
I think the Music Master gives more refinement, is it worth the extra lay out..
That’s a matter of opinion obv.
Although they are utterly great cartridges I feel they lack flesh through the ranges when compared to a top MC and a good Step Up.

If I put my neck on the line, I’d say no I wouldn’t lay out that amount again on a Moving magnet/ iron. But when not comparing with top MCs, one could live comfortably with with Classic or Master.

Thanks for the feedback Adam. I won’t be going for a top MC, as I am looking at spending about £1k. No plans for a SUT either, as I have an MC phono stage.

Ideally, I would want to hear the options in my system before making a decision.

WESTLOWER
23-03-2020, 23:07
Thanks for the feedback Adam. I won’t be going for a top MC, as I am looking at spending about £1k. No plans for a SUT either, as I have an MC phono stage.

Ideally, I would want to hear the options in my system before making a decision.

Yes this is always the conundrum buying kit.
Cartridge performance is very dependent on phono stage, tomearm and turntable
So hard to buy blind.