PDA

View Full Version : For Sale: A rather special Radford STA25

IHP
22-03-2020, 12:52
This Radford has had a full rebuild by Will at Radford Revival whilst retaining the original transformers. Photos showing the work in progress and completed as taken by Will along the way can be seen in the link at the foot of this ad. The craftsmanship is simply stunning and this amp looks and sounds as you would expect. I see this Radford as being the perfect blend that sits between a restored original and one of his fine Series 5 amps.

I’ve replaced the signal valves with well measured clear print Mullards (not shown in the photos) from Mullard Magic, a supplier I trust completely. I have the receipts for the rebuild and Mullards (£750 and £100 respectively). I also have a print of biasing instructions and will include a voltmeter (that needs a new battery, I'll see if I can find one !). This is a pretty simple process.

I’m going to go for collection only in the first instance though it’s currently housed in a very sturdy plastic packing box with fitted lid and sat on polystyrene. I could buy some packing chips and an outer box for postage but let’s see if a collection sale happens first.

I’m 8 miles east of Nottingham.

Price: £1700 firm.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?65091-STA25-III-rebuild-for-customer

Cheers, and keep healthy and happy

https://www.radfordrevival.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/DSC_1485.NEF_.jpg
https://www.radfordrevival.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/DSC_1490.NEF_.jpg

Macca
22-03-2020, 13:09
You need to show the photos in your ad, Ian. Linking is not sufficient.

karma67
22-03-2020, 13:10
lovely amp.you'd better get some photos up as the ad will be deleted without them.

walpurgis
22-03-2020, 13:15
Rules: https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?63927-Photos-With-Adverts-Mandatory-Requirements!

struth
22-03-2020, 13:21
added 2 pics for you as they were handy..
only as i fancy it, but better keep my cash for my funeral for now.
super amp

IHP
22-03-2020, 14:05
added 2 pics for you as they were handy..
only as i fancy it, but better keep my cash for my funeral for now.
super amp

That's very kind, thank you Grant. And please try and be a little more optimistic and keep well ;-)

Wegamus
22-03-2020, 21:15
Ian, that looks even better than my old one - and that was a beauty! Everyone should really have one of these in their system, and an extra one under the bed too :)

Made in 1968
22-03-2020, 21:22
Loverly

joolz
23-03-2020, 09:41
Hi Ian,
Looks lovely, what are the differences between this and a new Revival 5 - i know this is a subjective question, but also in terms of sound. Also what's the lowest speaker sensitivity they happily run with ?
kind regards,
J

IHP
23-03-2020, 11:26
Hi Joolz,

I could be flippant and say £1200 :)

The fundamental difference is that the transformers are tested originals and Will uses new production (and lovely they are too). The casework to this one has been restored though I couldn't honestly say whether the top case in a new one or not. Also this has some lovely original Mullard signal valves on it. I couldn't offer you a view on sound in comparison to the Series 5, sorry ! It drives my 83db Harbeth P3ESR with utter ease though these are said to have an easy load. Anecdotally I've heard it said on forums that these will drive anything but I'd only wish to offer evidenced advice rather than mislead.

If anyone reading this could usefully chip in I'd welcome that with thanks. If you wish to start a thread asking further that might be worth a shot ?

Sorry to be of limited response but as I say, I don't want to mislead anyone into a sale. Hope you understand ! Cheers, Ian.

IHP
23-03-2020, 11:41
Having thought about it for a few minutes Joolz, given it has had a complete rewire and Series 5 circuitry, I can't imagine it would sound noticeably different to a Series 5. There's an article on the web somewhere comparing a Series 5 15 to an original and I recall the conclusion being pretty much this. I think it was Hifi Pig. I'll have a look later, I have to nip out now to panic buy some gin :)

RichardA
23-03-2020, 11:49
Sorely tempted (as no doubt others are too!).
What were you using with your Harbeths before the Radford?
I have a Croft 7R hybrid that I have been using on and off with Quad 63s and I would be intrigued to know whether you have had experience of that brand/model versus the Radford.
Richard

scotty38
23-03-2020, 12:44
As I have said elsewhere if it wasn't for the fact that I already have a Series 5 on order I'd have bought this by now.....

WESTLOWER
23-03-2020, 13:25
Having thought about it for a few minutes Joolz, given it has had a complete rewire and Series 5 circuitry, I can't imagine it would sound noticeably different to a Series 5. There's an article on the web somewhere comparing a Series 5 15 to an original and I recall the conclusion being pretty much this. I think it was Hifi Pig. I'll have a look later, I have to nip out now to panic buy some gin :)

Fantastic amp GLWTS
for what it's worth we had a Series 5 STA25 and a Series 3 STA25 side by side here for quite a while and carried out extensive comparisons,
to our ears they were pretty much identical.
That's kudos to both Will Moores at Radford Revival and Arthur Radford himself.

IHP
23-03-2020, 14:48
Sold, thanks and keep well all.

IHP
23-03-2020, 14:52
Sorely tempted (as no doubt others are too!).
What were you using with your Harbeths before the Radford?
I have a Croft 7R hybrid that I have been using on and off with Quad 63s and I would be intrigued to know whether you have had experience of that brand/model versus the Radford.
Richard

Hi Richard, This was a 'vanity' purchase really and as lovely as it is I couldn't justify keeping it. My other power amplification is a pair on Croft 7 monos. There's no better really, they're all wonderful. TBH I plugged a well fettled Quad 303 in recently and could happily live with it.

IHP
23-03-2020, 14:59
Hi Richard, This was a 'vanity' purchase really and as lovely as it is I couldn't justify keeping it. My other power amplification is a pair on Croft 7 monos. There's no better really, they're all wonderful. TBH I plugged a well fettled Quad 303 in recently and could happily live with it.

In fact start a chat in 2 Channel if you fancy :). I'll drop in !

struth
23-03-2020, 15:19
thank god, i was weakening;)

joolz
24-03-2020, 06:42
Well done Ian, looks like you've saved me some money as well :)

Discopants
24-03-2020, 17:30
thank god, i was weakening;)

For the Radford I hope Grant [emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RichardA
24-03-2020, 21:24
Being sensible about it I’m sure you are right.
I have too many nice amps already including a 303 which I agree is surprisingly good into suitable speakers.