PDA

View Full Version : My First Dispute Though eBay/Pay Pal

Donald Hanson
10-06-2008, 16:57
Well, after 10+ years of buying and selling (mostly buying) on eBay, I finally must file a dispute and probably escalate that to a claim. I purchased an Olympus OM-1 camera body in "excellent condition" which never arrived. When I called the seller, he just hung up on me. He may have other than honorable intentions here. :confused:

I am feeling somewhat lucky that it was not for many hudreds of dollars in audio equipment or something.

I was surprised at how simple the dispute process is. If it must become a claim, I am certain it will get more complicated!

In the meantime,,,,Yep, you may have guessed it,,,
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: and wait n see.

alb
10-06-2008, 19:02
This system works quite well.
I think you have to wait thirty days, then make a claim, then wait for Paypal to refund you.
Which they have done for me in reasonable time.

Donald Hanson
11-06-2008, 11:36
Well, Pay Pal posted my message to the seller yesterday and the seller has already responded with a tracking number for shipment of the camera. They must use some pretty convincing language to get a quick response such as this. I contacted the seller on no less than 10 occasions in an attempt to complete the transaction and he just hung up on me.

Now I hope the item is as described and we can move on.

:carrot:

alb
11-06-2008, 18:52
Sounds hopeful then, i hope it works out for you.
A good OM1 is a very nice camera.

Donald Hanson
11-06-2008, 22:26
Sounds hopeful then, i hope it works out for you.
A good OM1 is a very nice camera.

Yeah, I love that camera. This will make 3 of em, all with the winder 2 and about 6-7 lenses and all the other stuff that made someone feel the need to invent digital photography.
:confused::lol::confused::lol:

Prince of Darkness
12-06-2008, 07:02
Still love my OM-1n and OM-2 Spot/Program, beautifully built cameras. Don't get as much use as they deserve, due to the convenience of digital (Olympus E-330).:(

Donald Hanson
12-06-2008, 13:47
Still love my OM-1n and OM-2 Spot/Program, beautifully built cameras. Don't get as much use as they deserve, due to the convenience of digital (Olympus E-330).:(

I see you stayed loyal to Olympus too. When I bought my digital it was an Olympus Zoom 4000. Kinda antiquated now, but still functions very well.

Donald Hanson
12-06-2008, 20:42
WOW!!!!!
How Kewell iz dis? My GF Jus called from her office (all things are sent there) and the camera has arrived.

Must admit, I am impressed with this time through the process!

Now to get an up close and pesonal looksee at it and make sure it is as described.

:bum:

Hey, what happened to the dancing carrot? Did it go away for good?

Mike Reed
12-06-2008, 21:48
Similarly to KEVIN, I don't use my OM1 or OM2; at all, in fact. I rarely use my OM4Ti, either, which is a shame.

However, developing and processing options around nowadays hardly make one want to go out and shoot a roll of film. Locally I'm stuck with an expensive (£6), four day service for GLOSSY (yuk!) 7 x 5 prints. Lustre/matt a quid extra and a fortnight's wait.

Three Olympuses and a host of lenses and accs, collecting dust. Wonder if they'll ever become collectors' items? Doubt it, somehow!

alb
13-06-2008, 06:40
If you are storing cameras.
A camera repair man once told me how important it was to occasionally get the camera out and fire the shutter a few times at different speeds and just generally move all the controls. This avoids things getting sticky with lack of use.
I sold all my camera stuff years ago but kept a couple of cheap SLRs for the kids to use at college.
Even they are redundant now.

Prince of Darkness
13-06-2008, 08:29
OM4Ti, the best ever manual focus 35mm SLR? Probably! Massive metering options and flash sync right up to 1/2000 sec (great bit of lateral thinking)!

Donald Hanson
13-06-2008, 18:32
[QUOTE=Mike Reed;11661]However, developing and processing options around nowadays hardly make one want to go out and shoot a roll of film. Locally I'm stuck with an expensive (£6), four day service for GLOSSY (yuk!) 7 x 5 prints. Lustre/matt a quid extra and a fortnight's wait.

I used my film cameras only a couple (well 4) years ago. At that time, I was able to get the negs copied right to digital format and worked them in PhotoShop. The processor was Glazier's Camera in Seattle and the quality was quite good.

I am assuming/hoping those options are still there for us die-hards.

Donald Hanson
15-06-2008, 15:50
Well, now that I have the camera and it is fairly close to "as described", I also got a Vivitar Series I 70-230 lens. I had this same combo back in the 70s and loved it. However, I didn't get the instruction manual for the lens and I can't seem to remember how to set it to macro. Anybody out there using this lens? And, how do you set it to mac????

Thanks

:confused::mental::confused::mental:

alb
15-06-2008, 20:36
Is that one of the lenses that you have to move the focus or zoom beyond its normal range of movement to get it into macro?
Is it definitely a macro lens?
I've had series one lenses, but it's many years ago, and i can't remember either.

Donald Hanson
16-06-2008, 13:23
Ya know? Most of them have the red line, then next to that is a yellow line and you move the focus collar beyond the normal range. I think I had that one back in the 70s. This one however just has the one distance line, then at the point closest to the camera, there are the letters M & N next to each other. I wonder if it is a true macro, or just a lens that focuses a little closer than some others. No sliding buttons or anything. I may look for another one on the Bay and sell this one.