PDA

View Full Version : A virtual visit to Worthy Farm – Glastonbury 2010, my impressions

Barry
28-06-2010, 00:17
Once again ‘tis the season of backed up loos, mud, rain and contemporary music. Fortunately this year it seems that the fine summer weather blessed the revellers at Glastonbury and hopefully the Port-a-Loos were regularly maintained. Not that it made any difference to me: yours truly had decamped to the TV room, armed only with a bottle of white wine and a TV remote control; the greatest risk might be the wine becoming warm or RSI caused by excessive channel hopping.

Friday

Events started by watching La Roux. Not that I would have known: she was accompanied on stage with an unnecessary and superfluous dance troupe. In fact had it not been for her ‘Mr Whippy – There’s something about Mary’ hairstyle; I wouldn’t have known it was her at all. Things settled down after the first song, but it does seem that she has become more ‘commercial’ since she appeared at Glastonbury as a hopeful newcomer last year. Things continued to improve with successive songs. I was particularly impressed with her version of ‘Temptation’ by Heaven 17, sung with Glen Gregory. The dance troupe reappeared and again, I’m sorry, made little contribution. Nothing wrong with the abilities of the dancers – La Roux just doesn’t need them.

Next up was Florence and The Machine. The ‘Machine’ has now an extended line-up, including backing singers. I was greatly impressed by her act last year at Glastonbury, but was disappointed by her subsequent debut album ‘Lungs’. This time I was again swept away by the sheer exuberance of her performance – especially doing a cover of Fleetwood Mac’s ‘The Chain’. Not enough to convert me, but I will look out for her next disc with anticipation.

Vampire Weekend, are a largely new group to me, though I might have seen them on ‘Later’. I was quite taken with their performance.

Couldn’t make my mind up about Hot Chip. Their appearance on ‘Later’, interested me – however their performance this year at Glastonbury did not really advance that situation. To be frank, I’m ambivalent about electro-pop.

Dizzee Rascal and Snoop Dogg, are not my thing, so I channel-hopped to watch Corinne Bailey-Rae. I had great hopes for her in the early ‘00s, and indeed enjoy her first CD. Unfortunately I have been disappointed by her career comeback, particularly so with her lacklustre appearances on ‘Later’. I’m pleased to say that her presence this year at Glastonbury reversed that impression, and I look forward to hearing her next CD.

Stayed on to watch Willie Nelson. The old boy can still hack it, but overall I found his performance ‘pedestrian’, however it was clear that the audience were having a good time. I just kept thinking, “I wish Johnny Cash was up there”. Ungrateful, I know.

Tried to watch Gorillaz but rapidly became bored, so turned over to watch Mumford & Sons. Having seen them, again on ‘Later’, they had not made that much impression on me. This time I was impressed and enjoyed their act.

Saturday

Things started in fine style with Shakira, and I have to be honest and say that it was not solely for her vocal abilities that I watched her act. The Cribs made little impression on me, despite watching most of their set. Kate Nash was dreadful – a thoroughly awful performance, that was, in my opinion, a complete waste of electricity! A shame, as I like her CD: ‘Made of Bricks’.

The Editors followed and they were very good, playing a mixture of new tracks as well as material from their CD ‘The Back Room’. Listening to them reminds me of U2, with lyrics that might have been written by Jim Morrison.

Scissor Sisters clashed with Jackson Browne; no contest it had to be Jackson Brown. That man is so instrumental in writing material for so many people such as Joan Baez and The Eagles as well as for himself. He came on and gave a thoroughly enjoyable if ‘laid back’ performance. Caught Scissor Sisters later and have to say they gave a very well polished and professional performance, though little of it was to my taste.

The National were good, again in some ways they reminded me of U2. Loved Marina and the Diamonds – something Kate Bush about her singing style.

Tried to watch xx but quickly became bored and couldn’t see what the fuss was about. Similarly for headline performers Muse, I became so bored I took a break to make a sandwich. Clearly I was in a minority of one, as the audience adored them. The only time I perked up, was when they were joined by Edge and together they did ‘Where the Streets Have No Name’. Virtually identical to U2, but then Edge was there.

Caught some of The Pet Shop Boys. Also headliners, they gave a very well polished performance, complete with ‘Rubic’s (?) cube’ dancers. Not a fan at all but they did remind me of the early ’80s synth-pop groups. Had fully intended to watch Dead Weather, but had decided I had had enough of Glastonbury for the evening. Again possibly a mistake as I have seen them on ‘Later’ and thought them rather good.

Sunday

Started well with Nora Jones. She didn’t set the stage alight but given that it was the opening set, I thought she did very well. Next up Jack Johnson, playing material from his new album as well as his earlier recordings - thoroughly enjoyable.

Not so The Flaming Lips, whom I found hugely disappointing. Not sure what I was expecting, but to my ears they don’t seem to have progressed at all in the last four or five years.

It was great to see Toots and the Maytals, good honest down-to-earth reggae. Tried to ‘get into’ Faithless, but I guess dance music doesn’t do it for me. It did for everyone else at Glastonbury though, which is just as well.

Gabriela y Rodrigo were great – I just love that manic ‘electro-flamenco’ style of theirs. I must seek out their recordings. I wanted to see some other performances but there was limited scope to do this via Freeview; so I missed Dr John and several others who appeared this year.

And so to Stevie Wonder. I’m not a huge fan, but I do like many of his hits, and it seemed appropriate that the should sing ‘Happy Birthday’ for the festival's 40th birthday. He pulled out all the stops and his was a great set with which, for me, to close a very successful Glastonbury.

All the above are of course only my thoughts. I know some AoS members were actually there. I hope they will tell us of their experiences of Glastonbury 2010.

Beechwoods
28-06-2010, 06:30
Here's some impressions from the fields... I didn't see a lot of music, but my take is a counterpoint to Barry's view over the telly!

The Flaming Lips headlined Friday night. I guess their performance was broadcast on Sunday. In anticipation, The Flaming Lips were likely to be one of the highlights for me. I'd seen them 8 years ago when they came to Bristol and they are one of those bands that 'work' live. I doubt this translates to the telly, though I have seen a fantastic bootleg video shot from the audience that does capture the mayhem of being there in person.

Musically, I'm not familiar with their latest stuff and it's not up to the awesomeness of Yoshimi or Soft Bulletin, but as a live show it was fantastic. Like being surprised by the biggest surprise birthday party ever, all for you. It felt like a small club gig, and it was bewildering to turn round and see thousands of other people stretching off into the distance every way you looked. The band entered one by one through a 'hidden door' in a semi-circular screen. Wayne Coyne, the singer rose up from the floor in an inflatable ball and proceeded to roll out into the audience. I'd worked my way up to about row 10 of people from the front, but when Wayne and his ball ended up rolling over all of us all hell broke loose with the audience surging and moving to mess up any preconceived notions of sticking with your mates or in your chosen spot. The idea of crowdsurfing in an inflatable ball is an excellent one. How many gig-goers can say they have been 6 inches away from the lead singer of the band they came to see perform?

All the way through the show we were showered with streamers, giant balloons, treated to interactive singalongs - I Can Be A Frog, The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song. I was hoping to hear their version of Pink Floyd's 'Brain Damage / Eclipse' but no such luck in a Festival set. They did play their track 'Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung' which tips a hat to the Pink Floyd at Pompeii with a giant gong with circling lights that is more than coincidentally reminiscent of 'Live At Pompeii'.

We also made special efforts to see the Pet Shop Boys. PSB's are my wife's favourite band, we listen to them a lot and the kids love them too. I've seen the 'Pandemonium' live DVD filmed at London's O2 arena last year, and their show is spectacular. Getting to see it for real was another great source of excitement in the Beechwoods household. You cannot imagine the lengths we went to to ensure that the kids (3 and 4) were going to be comfortable staying up until 10.30pm to catch them perform. As it was they bopped through half of the set on our shoulders and slept through the rest in their bijou bike trailer / buggy!

The PSB's played an excellent 'Festival set' mixing old and new. The opener 'Heart' is a fantastic track from 1988, followed by 'Love etc' the titular single from their latest album. 'Love etc' sounds like classic PSB's without sounding like being a tribute band. The setlist spanned 25 years but you'd be hard pressed to work out when a particular track was released. The only bum track for me was 'Building A Wall' from their latest album, which doesn't have the bounce of their usual stuff. It'd make a great lost Pink Floyd track though!

The show / stage set was faithful to their touring show. The set was built of cardboard boxes. Another homage a Floyd. Floyd did it first in 1980! Highlights for me were 'Suburbia', 'Se a Vida e' and 'Being Boring'. 'Go West' could have done with a live choir to capture the intensity of the choir on that track properly. 'Being Boring' was the first 'encore' track... most amusing given Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe decided to wear their most flamboyant and 'exciting' feather hats.

The other bands I enjoyed were Two Door Cinema Club a three-piece from Bangor who played the Other Stage around 11.30am on Saturday. They've only just had their first album out, but put on a fantastic set of bouncy guitar-pop with an eighties / electro element. They're likely to go a long way if there's any justice in the record business. One of the few bands to make me stop and listen having not heard any of their stuff (or heard of them) before...

Hot Chip on Saturday were a surprise. I didn't think much of their stuff when I heard it on the radio, but live they're fantastic. An electronic synth band that play proper instruments properly! Perhaps hearing their stuff through a gargantuan sound system helps?

Regrets... I missed Willie Nelson on Saturday. The Woodentops clashed with Turin Brakes. The heat was extraordinary. It's great to have a rain-free Glasto, but it was so hot that a lot of time was spent keeping cool and making sure the kids were cool. Unlike some years where there's a lot of opportunity to waste the whole day wandering this year had to be more focussed :)

I would have liked to have met Ali Tait (for the second year running, we've both been but not got together) but it wasn't to be... Given Glastonbury's 'future is secure' according to Michael Eavis I'm sure there'll be a next year.

John
28-06-2010, 07:30
The Rodrigo Y Gabrielle music is extremly well recorded Barry; just love this band

Spectral Morn
28-06-2010, 09:31
Finest music and performance of the weekend not mentioned by anyone :eek:

Imogen Heep.....fantastic :)

I watched a fair bit of the rest and no one really stood out as being that great imho.

Regards D S D L

Barry
28-06-2010, 17:14
Nice write up Nick. Glad to hear you and the family had a good time at Glastonbury 2010.

I'm inclined to agree with you regarding The Flaming Lips. The 'theatricals' don't really come across well on TV. I found it distracting and annoying, hence my acerbic comments. I'm sure being there and seeing them live is a quite different experience than that for a 'couch potato'.

The same would seem to apply to Hot Chip, though as I said, I did find their act of interest when they appeared on 'Later'.

Didn't make the connection of Pet Shop Boy's 'cube theme' with Floyd's 'The Wall'. I thought the cubes were a reference to Rubic's Cube - a quintessential '80s icon along with the Pet Shop Boys themselves.

When did you leave Worthy Farm? You posted very early this morning!

Regards

Beechwoods
28-06-2010, 17:26
Didn't make the connection of Pet Shop Boy's 'cube theme' with Floyd's 'The Wall'. I thought the cubes were a reference to Rubic's Cube - a quintessential '80s icon along with the Pet Shop Boys themselves.

When did you leave Worthy Farm? You posted very early this morning!

I think it was a bit of both Barry - the Rubics cube reference is spot on though. I'd not thought of it - to my shame!

We came back last night (Sunday) about 6 o'clock. We missed a few acts on the Sunday night but wanted to end on a high point - and with the heat we wanted to make sure we didn't get stuck in traffic (we were in traffic for 4 hours getting to the site on Wednesday morning!).

Joe
28-06-2010, 20:40
Similarly for headline performers Muse, I became so bored I took a break to make a sandwich.

I was half-listening to Muse (Caroline was watching some Glastonbury performances on the iPlayer) and my thoughts were the same as yours; dull dull dull. They sounded like every other half-decent indie band, with absolutely no distinguishing features to their music. Even their band name is boring!

The Grand Wazoo
28-06-2010, 21:49
I recorded most of what was available on TV & have yet to watch any of it. I'd have to agree with Nick that to be there at a big venue Flaming Lips gig is quite an astonishing spectacle. I saw them a few years ago at Harewood House - a great day with Eels, The Zutons, Flaming Lips and The Who. They gave one of the best gigs I've ever witnessed.
Like Barry, I'm looking forward to seeing the Jackson Browne set.

Alex_UK
28-06-2010, 21:52
Just about to watch the Faithless set... Great write-ups, Barry & Nick, thanks for sharing.

Techno Commander
29-06-2010, 17:46
I thought Faithless were superb. Definitely got the crowd going.

Ali Tait
30-06-2010, 09:50
Sorry we didn't manage to meet up Nick,we'll sort it out next year!
I had a great time,with particular highlights for me being Turin Brakes,The Beat and Alabama 3.
I missed some of what I wanted to see as we managed to again blag some backstage passes to the Green Room bar,in the performer's field behind the circus tent,where we saw Alabama 3 and some other great bands.Last year in there we met Glen Tilbrook,and this year I shook hands with a very drunk Harvey Bainbridge,a former member of Hawkwind.He just wandered up to me,shook my hand,and announced his name in a rather cultured voice and then wandered off.Didn't see him again.He played a set on the bandstand,but I didn't manage to catch it.Alabama 3 also played a storming set,and I chatted to one of their guests onstage with them.I didn't recognise him,but it was probably someone very famous! I'll post up a pic when I get them sent through.We also became accquainted with the lovely couple who run this bar,as they are friends of one of the chaps we go with who lives in Frome,so next year we won't have to blag passes as he's kindly offered to sort all of us out,which is great as they get some big names playing in there.He was trying to get either The Beat or Muse for Sunday night,but sadly it wasn't to be.Next year perhaps.

All in all a fantastic festival,if very hot,but I guess it's better than all the mud.Roll on next year,where we really must meet up for a drink and a chat Nick!

Beechwoods
30-06-2010, 11:46
It's getting easier every year Ali, as the kids get older and aren't so full-on demanding! Maybe next year I'll get two night's worth of free time to do my own thing!

One band I should have mentioned as being excellent was Jerry Dammers' Spatial A.K.A. Orchestra. Jerry Dammers used to be the main man in The Specials, but of late he's assembled an 18-piece orchestra and is playing stuff that owes a significant debt to Sun Ra's Archestra. They were making some fantastic avant-garde jazz noises on the West Holt stage (used to be the Jazz World stage) on Saturday. They're definitely a band I'd check out again.

Ali Tait
30-06-2010, 12:08
Aye I was a bit miffed they'd changed the name,but apparently it's the original name of the field,which is fair enough I suppose.