PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Lincolnshire Wolds

DaisyDay
03-03-2020, 16:17
New to the forum, happy to be here.

Been listening to music most of my life and been into HiFi, of sorts for nearly as long. First decent system was a Rega Planar 3 with a Naim Nait and Linn Kans. Been through quite a bit of hardware since then, Townshend Rock, Linn LP12 ,Rega P9, Naim, Avondale, Shahinian Arcs and Obelisks and dabbled in the dark art of DIY. I'm currently listening to a Consonance CD player, Modified-Croft 25R Pre, Croft 7R monoblocks and some open baffle speakers.
In the near future I think I'll have a bit of a shuffle with the system again, try to introduce a digital source and probably changing out the speakers and amps if need be to some other Open Baffle type speakers. Thats the plan, but as reminded by my good wife on a regular basis when does anything ever go to plan.

Cheers
Paul

Oops, first post and just realised I cant even spell Lincolnshire correctly in the title

Ali Tait
03-03-2020, 16:52
Hi Welcome. What are the OB’s?

DaisyDay
03-03-2020, 18:10
Hello Ali
The OB's are Visaton B200's with Planet 10 phase plugs, straight through plus some 15" Visaton BGs40 woofers with a simple inductor crossover. They are in a large clear perspex baffle. The perspex baffle really help with the WAF. They are actually my friends speakers that he bought from Transcription Audio(?) but having moved house with a room with much more volume, and hard surfaces everywhere my Shahinian Obelisks (that reminds me, I need to sell them!) just didn't seem to work and I've had his OB,s for about 5 years. A simple design but sounds very good to my ears and most who have heard them with the Crofts. He may want them back soon hence the possible need to change. One option is build something similar with a different baffle shape and woofer as the BGS 40 is no longer availableto to smooth the response (I've had a go with MJKings software although I'm no expert) or go for something different, maybe a Linkwitz system or something else. Either way I'm sure it'll be an open baffle.

Cheers
Paul

Scorps
03-03-2020, 19:37
hi Paul
welcome to forums

southall-1998_mk2
03-03-2020, 23:55
Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.

Barry
06-03-2020, 18:48
Welcome to AoS Paul.

Don't worry about the typo - I've corrected it for you. :)

Interesting system you use. What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

Alex_UK
06-03-2020, 18:57
Welcome to AoS, enjoy!

Lawrence001
06-03-2020, 19:00
Hello I'm actually from Louth originally. I'll be visiting there again in Easter. Are you anywhere near there?

Haselsh1
06-03-2020, 20:09
Bloody love Walesby but not the climb up to the church. I was born and raised in Lincolnshire my last home being in Tetney.

Very best wishes to you.

Lawrence001
06-03-2020, 22:01
Ah Walesby, that's the other side of the Wolds. Handy train link from Market Rasen!

DaisyDay
07-03-2020, 16:47
Welcome to AoS Paul.

Don't worry about the typo - I've corrected it for you. :)

Interesting system you use. What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

Well I like to think my tastes are reasonably broad, Acoustic, World, Jazz, Folk etc. I've been listening to a lot of John Martyn, Cinematic Orchestra, Slowly Rolling Camera, Matthew Halsall and other artists on the Gondwana Music label at the moment. I have to say Hip Hop, Heavy metal and Rock doesn't feature in my collection. I think the system works well for the type of music I like.
Cheers Paul

orchardaudio
08-03-2020, 17:52
Welcome.