PDA

View Full Version : FS: JBL L100 Century Speakers and Stands

AJSki2fly
25-02-2020, 15:09
So after careful consideration I have decided to sell my JBL L100 Century speakers, as I now have the Tannoys Ardens and to be honest the JBL's are just sitting in the spare room. Sue has also said I cannot set up a second system, one is enough in her opinion. I also have plans for some new headphones and some other small upgrades.

They originally belonged to a very good friend who has had them since 1978, he purchased them from a friend who need the money at the time. So I am only the 3rd owner.

On getting these I decided to sympathetically restore them as they actually were not that bad, a few tea/coffee mug stains on the tops and the odd knock to a couple of corners.

So I took out the drivers and checked the foams inside which are fine, also inspeceted the crossovers which are original and are working very well. I carefully hand sanded the veneer on the cabinets and carefully filled the two damaged corners with matching wood plastic filler, these came up well. Once finished they were just oiled. At the same time I replaced the binding posts with modern high quality ones. I inspected the drivers and they are all in excellent condition, one tweeter(right one in photos) has a small dent/crease in the dust cover in the centre but this in no way affects how it sounds. After doing the cabinets I originally just recovered the wood speaker grills with blue speaker material. The speakers sounded so good that I went on to repair the speaker grill surrounds with walnut strips that hold the original foam grill covers in place, and I purchased some replacement foam covers, at great expense. I also purchased a pair of new genuine JBL stands.

The Presence and Brilliance control pots are silent in operation, and are fully functioning, I have generally found that in our 24' by' 13' room with the speakers pointing down the room the JBLs sound best at the factory setting, although I did have them adjusted a little brighter from a while.

They sound extremely good and as you would expect produce some very nice controlled bass, great mid-range and I am surprised how good the top end is. They are a pretty efficient speaker and are easy to drive, they produce lots of volume driven by my 10-12W 300B SET amp. They give a lovely musical rendition and are not fatiguing in any way to listen to and work well with all genres of music, although back in the 70's and 80's pop and rock fans loved them, they are also great with Jazz and Classical.

JBL L100 Century Specs:-
Sensitivity: 91dB (1W input, measured at 1m), the factory quote 78dB measured at 15' and state 75-80dB is a comfortable listening level. (be assured they can go very loud)
Impedance: 8Ω
Power Capacity: 50W (continuous program)
High Frequency Driver: LE20 36mm (1.4″) Paper Diaphragm
Medium Frequency Driver: LE5-2 130mm (5″) Paper Diaphragm
Low Frequency Driver: 123A-1 300m (12″) Pressed Paper Diaphragm
Crossover Frequencies: 1,500Hz and 6,000Hz
Enclosure Type: Bass Reflex
Enclosure Dimensions (HxWxD): 600x360x350mm (23.5×14.5×13.75″)
Weight: 25kg (each speaker)

This pair have not been played around with, in the sense of they have the original drivers, and crossovers, and still sound excellent and are in good cosmetic order after my efforts. They give a lovely musical rendition and are not fatiguing in any way to listen to

I am more than happy to demonstrate them at my home, I live in Seaton, DEVON, just 7 miles from Lyme Regis in Dorset, not the Seaton up North.

Due to the weight of these units and I really would not want them to be damaged them collection is the only sensible option. I am willing to meet a purchaser up to 120 miles from my home, but payment would be required first before I committed to meet up. Due to the weight of these

I am asking for £1000 for the speakers which is great value for an origianl pair in such great condition, and £200 for the JBL stands, if you purchase speakers and stands together then it is £1100.

If you are interested or questions them please PM me to discuss.

https://i.postimg.cc/VL0qRMzg/14-BBBBEA-4-D18-464-B-A22-F-4-DE2230-B4-A06-1-201-a.jpg (https://postimg.cc/PPhvfCpv)

https://i.postimg.cc/9MfTqwxG/230-B4319-C39-C-4913-B0-D2-E3-A1-AD81-F557-1-201-a.jpg (https://postimg.cc/mc0hvkWD)

https://i.postimg.cc/qv88fThC/2666-AC66-6339-479-C-8-EF9-7-DC67-FD52-FB6.jpg (https://postimg.cc/xX1kHBP0)

https://i.postimg.cc/kg0fKmzj/9-F6-CB061-8-A43-4-A71-9413-0-EBAF9690-D37-1-201-a.jpg (https://postimg.cc/VJFqP3YM)

https://i.postimg.cc/SKkckvC1/CE5-F1-BEA-1-E8-D-42-DD-B27-E-5-F581-DAA5514.jpg (https://postimg.cc/1878KMWD)

https://i.postimg.cc/W1RMf33v/E89-DDB64-0-A60-4101-B18-A-314876354339-1-201-a.jpg (https://postimg.cc/qzLhNpyb)

https://i.postimg.cc/XvLdJkgj/EA84-F4-F9-CF10-410-F-B7-BB-241656470506-1-201-a.jpg (https://postimg.cc/2qqV9vJM)

https://i.postimg.cc/59rv6mZg/764-B67-F4-FE96-4008-AE35-E021-D06-A16-DF.jpg (https://postimg.cc/9zGzkyXw)

https://i.postimg.cc/NFZrSg1S/7-B52-B94-A-E55-D-4-B89-B1-C2-6596-F54-EE380.jpg (https://postimg.cc/wRcvsY4Q)

farflungstar
25-02-2020, 15:48
Beautiful.

Sent from my Aquaris X Pro using Tapatalk

AJSki2fly
25-02-2020, 16:55
Beautiful.

Sent from my Aquaris X Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks Adrian, they are rather lovely and sound pretty good too. Someone will get some great speakers!

Audio Al
25-02-2020, 17:13
:eyebrows:

Made in 1968
25-02-2020, 17:16
Ah the 'L100' were great, loved the Orange grill version..

AJSki2fly
25-02-2020, 17:31
:eyebrows:

You know you want them Al, life's too short to not have owned a pair of these. :D

Barry
25-02-2020, 17:41
Ah the 'L100' were great, loved the Orange grill version..

Me too. Once heard a pair of these in a record shop in the mid '70s. They were hung from the ceiling and sounded very good.

Good luck with the sale Adrian.

Audio Al
25-02-2020, 17:51
You know you want them Al, life's too short to not have owned a pair of these. :D

You can stop it right now :nono:

I have recently added 3 more pairs of noise boxes :doh: Tannoy Airdales , Impulse H2's and Usher dancer diamond 2

I do need therapy :(

I do own 2 pairs of JBL L1's and a pair of L80T's :)

Made in 1968
25-02-2020, 17:52
Tell you what Al. You pay for them & ill have them, I cant be more fair than that

Audio Al
25-02-2020, 18:04
Tell you what Al. You pay for them & ill have them, I cant be more fair than that

Now then , Let me think about this offer :hmm::hmm:

Err! NO :D

AJSki2fly
25-02-2020, 18:29
You can stop it right now :nono:

I have recently added 3 more pairs of noise boxes :doh: Tannoy Airdales , Impulse H2's and Usher dancer diamond 2

I do need therapy :(

I do own 2 pairs of JBL L1's and a pair of L80T's :)

The L100’s would make a perfect set then[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJSki2fly
27-02-2020, 12:15
Bump

Lots of interest in these, don't miss your chance to buy them, they are very good.

AJSki2fly
28-02-2020, 19:42
Weekend bump

AJSki2fly
01-03-2020, 21:33
Bumpy bump

AJSki2fly
04-03-2020, 17:48
These wonderful speakers are still available.

AJSki2fly
08-03-2020, 12:34
These wonderful speakers are still available.

Still here, surprised nobody has snapped these up, don't come along often especially in such good condition for their age.

hifi_dave
08-03-2020, 12:44
Bloody brilliant speakers. Can't believe they haven't sold..:scratch:

AJSki2fly
10-03-2020, 14:19
Bloody brilliant speakers. Can't believe they haven't sold..:scratch:

Thanks Dave, seems that the right person has not come along yet. :D

Made in 1968
10-03-2020, 14:21
Im sure plenty fancy em, i certainly do.. Lotta money to have spare, cant you advertise elsewhere Adrian?

AJSki2fly
10-03-2020, 14:27
Im sure plenty fancy em, i certainly do.. Lotta money to have spare, cant you advertise elsewhere Adrian?

They are on WAM as well, someone will come along that wants a good pair. I will take a sensible offer for them with stands if you are interested.:eyebrows: I would prefer not to put them up on Ebay, it gets pricey with the fees, and then the Paypal fee as well.

Made in 1968
10-03-2020, 15:20
There is a company that remakes those wooden grill frames with the original range of coloured grills. If i bought those she would hit the roof.

AJSki2fly
13-03-2020, 17:42
OK I have decided to drop the price only to AoS members as below, if they do not sell soon then it will be onto Ebay.

Revised price:

I am asking for £900 for the speakers which is great value for an original pair in such great condition, and £200 for the JBL stands if the speakers sell first (these have hardly been used and are like new, being purchased new last year), if you purchase speakers and stands together then it is £1000.

Personally I think this is a bargain , there is a later pair on Ebay without grilles/foams and they want £1149, so my price with stands is a bargain.

PM me to discuss.

AJSki2fly
15-03-2020, 13:19
OK I have decided to drop the price only to AoS members as below, if they do not sell soon then it will be onto Ebay.

Revised price:

I am asking for £900 for the speakers which is great value for an original pair in such great condition, and £200 for the JBL stands if the speakers sell first (these have hardly been used and are like new, being purchased new last year), if you purchase speakers and stands together then it is £1000.

Personally I think this is a bargain , there is a later pair on Ebay without grilles/foams and they want £1149, so my price with stands is a bargain.

PM me to discuss.

Sunday bump

Made in 1968
15-03-2020, 13:39
But you are wanting far far less than what they go for.

struth
15-03-2020, 13:46
sure they will sell eventually.. with travel uncertainties folk may currently be put off for now.

Made in 1968
15-03-2020, 13:47
Na people will travel if they want them. I would still keep them at £1K but advertise on E-Bay pick up only cash on collection..

AJSki2fly
15-03-2020, 13:55
Na people will travel if they want them. I would still keep them at £1K but advertise on E-Bay pick up only cash on collection..

Yes I will give them a little longer and then Ebay will get them.

AJSki2fly
15-03-2020, 13:56

Revised price:

PM me to discuss.

Sunday Bump

AJSki2fly
18-03-2020, 11:46

Revised price:

PM me to discuss.

Mid week bump, these wonderful JBL's are still ups for grabs:)

AJSki2fly
28-03-2020, 11:59

Revised price:

PM me to discuss.

Bumpity-bump-bump.

These lovely JBL's are still available, I am open to sensible offers from AoS enthusiasts, and I mean sensible. I know it is not the best time to sell hifi, but I sure that something could be sorted for collection/delivery.

AJSki2fly
30-03-2020, 18:13
SOLD new toys ordered :eyebrows::)

vinylsnail
30-03-2020, 18:15
I'm not surprised. They're lovely speakers! The only (small) thing stopping me from snapping these up was that I have no money :D

Fullrange
03-04-2020, 11:40
Thank you Adrian for the L100 speakers. They sound fantastic with my 70s Sony gear.
It was a pleasure doing business with you.
Take care friends during these worrying times.

AJSki2fly
03-04-2020, 13:50
Thank you Adrian for the L100 speakers. They sound fantastic with my 70s Sony gear.
It was a pleasure doing business with you.
Take care friends during these worrying times.

Thank you Marc, I hope you enjoy them. Thanks Adrian

Philiphifi
20-04-2020, 09:06
hi - wouldn't the cones and caps need changing after 40 years?

walpurgis
20-04-2020, 09:26

Old cones tend to sound better than new ones and the cone surrounds on these are durable. Can't comment on the caps, but if they sound OK...........

(not sure you could get Century cones these days anyway)

AJSki2fly
20-04-2020, 14:34

Hi Philip,

I think you would be quite surprised just how good older equipment including loudspeakers can be as long as they have been looked after. The beauty of this pair is I have actually known them since mid 70's, my best friend purchased them from a friend who needed some money back then. My friend kept them ever since and used them for about 8 years, when he got married and had a child they were consigned to a cupboard and have remained in a cupboard or spare room in several houses ever since, mainly as his wife would not have them in the lounge. He offered them to me about 18 months ago and I did some light refurbishment on the cabinets and purchased new foam grill covers. I actually removed all the drivers and the cross-overs at the time, inspecting and checking them out, the cross-overs are substantial units and were fine, even the trim pots had no issues. So rather than play about with them everything went back as original, the only thing I did replace was the speaker binding posts with some modern quality gold plated ones, the originals were crap.

They actually sound great, and perform exceptionally well. JBL's generally as others on here, apart from me, will tell you are pretty durable and rarely fail unless played around wither abused, I believe this is true with most JBL models from the 70's and early 80's although others may know more on specific models. There are quite a few articles on people changing/upgrading the cross-overs on L100's, but there are several whose opinion is that JBL got it pretty right in the first place. One or two also replaced the tweeters but to be honest I never had an issue with how the top end sounded. L100's and similar models are quite well sort after and are well worth considering if you like a great musical sound.

Cheers

Adrian

halvis
20-04-2020, 19:39
I agree with the above. I have a nice pair of JBL 250ti's from the mid to late eighties, very over engineered speakers. Great build, crossover is huge and didn't need any work even though all parts original. The bass drivers were replaced, not sure about the others, but the tweeters being Ti certainly were not.

Your L100's looked great, I was tempted but could not justify it. Shame the new ones are so expensive, if they were half the cost it would sell very well I feel.

graham67
20-04-2020, 21:50
Yes I was amazed they weren't snapped up sooner. Fabbo speaks, though I am biased. Listening to Lou Reed on virtually identical 4311, bliss :)

Fullrange
21-04-2020, 13:15
Hi guys.
I'm the lucky new owner.
They are indeed fantastic speakers for their age.
Adrian did a great job at doing a light refurbishment so I decided to do a little work to bring them even more up to scratch.
The caps in the cross over where OK but of relatively low quality so they were first to be replaced with like for like values so not to change the cross over frequency.
I kept the original inductors but replaced the old resistors with modern Mills equivalents.
Internal wiring was also changed for Sommer SP215.
Next was a tricky tweeter repair. One of the central caps had a dent. After a few days trying many different solutions I found putting three sticky dots onto a pencil tip and using a very small pin I very gently pushed out the dent..... Perfect.
The cabinets are in great condition for their age so just a little oil down was needed.
Finally the grill pins / post have been replaced with newly made ones from the guy who makes the replacement foam grills.
Unfortunately to take out the cross over and tweeters the metal plates have been bent. They will never go completely flat so I'm leaving them off for a future project.
I'm sitting down listening to Radio 3 lunch time concert on them as I type..... They sound fantastic.

AJSki2fly
21-04-2020, 14:03
Hi guys.
I'm the lucky new owner.
They are indeed fantastic speakers for their age.
Adrian did a great job at doing a light refurbishment so I decided to do a little work to bring them even more up to scratch.
The caps in the cross over where OK but of relatively low quality so they were first to be replaced with like for like values so not to change the cross over frequency.
I kept the original inductors but replaced the old resistors with modern Mills equivalents.
Internal wiring was also changed for Sommer SP215.
Next was a tricky tweeter repair. One of the central caps had a dent. After a few days trying many different solutions I found putting three sticky dots onto a pencil tip and using a very small pin I very gently pushed out the dent..... Perfect.
The cabinets are in great condition for their age so just a little oil down was needed.
Finally the grill pins / post have been replaced with newly made ones from the guy who makes the replacement foam grills.
Unfortunately to take out the cross over and tweeters the metal plates have been bent. They will never go completely flat so I'm leaving them off for a future project.
I'm sitting down listening to Radio 3 lunch time concert on them as I type..... They sound fantastic.

Sounds like a great final tweaking, enjoy the music

Fullrange
21-04-2020, 14:05
Sounds like a great final tweaking, enjoy the music

They are finished... For now. 😂
Got to keep occupied during the lock down.