PDA

View Full Version : Open plan living space speakers.

Ninety4degrees
24-02-2020, 20:35
We live in a open plan living space 8m x 8m - (for want of a better phrase) a with a vaulted ceiling.

My current set up is a simple cyrus3i and psx-r, beresford Caiman II DAC for digital pre for TV and stream duties, and TT with a Gram Amp2, I swap in and out...mostly listen to vinyl myself.

I'm currently favouring a set of vintage Goodmans Magnums, (these also work as furniture) and whilst these are good vintage speakers, I have yearning to try something else.

I need something to fill the room but the acoustics are quite challenging with quite a bit of glass, a tilled floor, and high ceiling. Whist I have the space, I'm not looking for something that needs to be half way across the room or miles from the nearest window to get some bottom end.

So floorstanders or stand mount? Not looking to upgrade the Cyrus kit, so something Cyrus friendly.

Just looking for some inspiration really.

Macca
24-02-2020, 21:31
IMF TLS50 or TLS80?

They are quite laid back so shouldn't be a problem in a highly reflective room. No need for stands. Cyrus amp won't be all shouty through them.

Or KEF 104AB - something along those lines.

farflungstar
24-02-2020, 22:11
We live in a open plan living space 8m x 8m - (for want of a better phrase) a with a vaulted ceiling.

My current set up is a simple cyrus3i and psx-r, beresford Caiman II DAC for digital pre for TV and stream duties, and TT with a Gram Amp2, I swap in and out...mostly listen to vinyl myself.

I'm currently favouring a set of vintage Goodmans Magnums, (these also work as furniture) and whilst these are good vintage speakers, I have yearning to try something else.

I need something to fill the room but the acoustics are quite challenging with quite a bit of glass, a tilled floor, and high ceiling. Whist I have the space, I'm not looking for something that needs to be half way across the room or miles from the nearest window to get some bottom end.

So floorstanders or stand mount? Not looking to upgrade the Cyrus kit, so something Cyrus friendly.

Just looking for some inspiration really.I have gone (and still am) through the same journey. My listening room is about 8x9 meters with 5m ceilings and lots of glass. My tannoys did nothing in this space, they couldn't energise it resulting in almost zero bass. It's full of soft furnishings, palms etc to soften up reflections and that works great. But I couldn't live with nothing below 60hz.

On a whim I swapped my old style ANe's in, close to the corners and near the wall and bam! Bass - in fact I can tune what I hear by adjusting the distance of my listening sofa, closer emphasises mid bass, further back deep bass - it's pretty impressive. But my ANe's are the old style, not the, modern lightweight ply version.

Now I want to keep that aspect but improve on transparency and have been looking around at speakers - but my god its a gamble as no demo can mimick my room.

There's a pair of old stylr ANe's for sale on here right now.

Sent from my Aquaris X Pro using Tapatalk

Made in 1968
24-02-2020, 23:36
The reverse here Adrian im trying to Subdue the Bass response in the living room. Why i opted for tiny speakers in a 4.6 mtr Living room.

struth
25-02-2020, 04:05
You might try some full range ones I found mine were good with lower base. Mind you I designed cabs that way. You got bass but without reverb causing issues.

Ali Tait
25-02-2020, 10:43
Open Baffles perhaps.

Ninety4degrees
25-02-2020, 12:47
Thanks all for the responses - certainly food for thought there.
Transmission Line? - PMC perhaps an option? May be suitable for the Cyrus!
Full Range or open baffle not something I'd considered, certainly not considered kit or DIY....(strokes chin)

farflungstar
25-02-2020, 12:49
If its boomy bass I would also pay attention to furniture and sofas etc. They can have a dramatic effect. Try moving things from another room into the space and play for a day.

Sent from my Aquaris X Pro using Tapatalk

Spectral Morn
25-02-2020, 12:53
Rugs on the floor, sound absorbing items and a warmer fuller set up to work against the cold, bright echo filled room.

hifi_dave
25-02-2020, 16:49
You need some absorbent in the room otherwise you will never get a decent sound, no matter the equipment.

Made in 1968
25-02-2020, 17:03
I used to have an heavy Bass problem with some Spendor 'SP-1'. Maybe they be good in a large room.

AJSki2fly
25-02-2020, 17:42

Just looking for some inspiration really.

A room that big will be very tricky, especially with lots of reflective walls, glass and a vaulted ceiling. I would get plenty of nice rugs down on the floor for a start, and then some simple panels and hanging modern tapestries on the walls to break up the reflective areas. The vaulted ceiling may be an issue as it may act as a sponge to the sound although if at an oblique angle may be of benefit if not too high. I would play around with furnishings first to get the best you can with what you have before shelling out on speakers.

You might want to download REW software not a laptop and take some simple measurements with the sine wave sweep using a USB microphone to get some idea of how the room behaves. I would measure at the normal listening position and then try other positions and compare, you will soon see drop off areas in the frequency range. You can then try some soft furnishings as above and repeat the measurements and see/hear hopefully improvements.

Ninety4degrees
25-02-2020, 20:27
Thanks All, we do have a couple of rugs down however I think it's fair to say wall hangings/tapestries are not getting past my wife.
The room is modern with some ply paneling in some areas and the ceiling, we have a number of surface faces and angles.
REW type software might be an idea to see whats good and bad.