PDA

View Full Version : Sorry I'm Late...

Pete The Cat
23-06-2010, 20:05
Aloha. Must apologise, a few days ago I came in through the side entrance and helped myself to the buffet before making a proper introduction. :doh:

Grew up listening to John Peel and Tommy Vance then broadened my church. The loft is full of old equipment, and music and hi-fi magazines from the late 70s onwards. And cassettes of broadcasts that I keep meaning to transfer to digital.

On my journey I was devoted to Quad amps for many years but then John Farlowe era Exposures stole my heart. Fortunately my family allow me to indulge in two systems so there's still room for some olive green "fan heaters" in the house.

The other day someone said that my use of the term "hi-fi" made me sound old. I put that comment down to the prevalence of "home entertainment" nowadays. Does anyone really know what an alien invasion is supposed to sound like ?!

Off to have a nibble at your buffet again...

Pete

Marco
23-06-2010, 20:14
Hi Pete,

Welcome to AOS. Nice introduction - what's your current system? :)

Lol - that's rather 'wide-open'! :eyebrows:

Where in the UK are you from, matey? :cool:

Marco.

Pete The Cat
23-06-2010, 20:27
North Essex nowadays.

Linn Karik III, Thorens TD104 Mk2
Exposure XI, 2 x VIs, Super VIII
Mission 752 Freedoms
Creek OBH11, Sennheiser HD600s to scare the tinnitus off
Linn, Chord and Exposure cables

That beer goes down nicely with the buffet.

Pete

Marco
23-06-2010, 20:57
Enjoy, but leave the chipolatas for me! :eyebrows:

Wasn't the Karik a transport only, though, so don't you need a DAC - or am I missing it in your system list? :scratch:

Marco.

Spectral Morn
23-06-2010, 20:58
Welcome to AOS Pete.

Regards D S D L

Pete The Cat
23-06-2010, 21:17
Enjoy, but leave the chipolatas for me! :eyebrows:

Wasn't the Karik a transport only, though, so don't you need a DAC - or am I missing it in your system list? :scratch:

Marco.

Hi Marco,

Mostly so, however Kariks from late 1994 onwards (I seem to recall from serial no. 9,000 but could be earlier) had an on-board DAC hence the semi-official Mark III label. I'm told that a separate Numerik is still a worthwhile add-on although they're getting on a bit now as well.

Pete

Marco
23-06-2010, 21:25
Thanks, Pete - interesting; I didn't know that.

I've always rated the Karik/Numerik as a classic combo from the days when proper CDPs were made.

The Karik transport mech is superbly engineered (I believe that this was custom-made for Linn), which is what makes all the difference for accurate CD replay.

Most of the CDPs sold these days use cheap, plastic DVD-ROM mechs, which are ten a penny and total shit! :spew:

But then there is computer audio........

Marco.

retro
23-06-2010, 21:27
Hello Pete,
...old equipment........music and hi-fi magazines from the late 70s...
You are my man
Welcome to AOS :)

Regards,

Alex_UK
24-06-2010, 12:31
Hi Pete, great introduction. (Help yourself to as many of those stupid prawn vol-au-vents as you want, no one here likes them very much, but I'd suggest not getting between Marco and his chipolatas...)

Welcome, and enjoy the forum.

Barry
24-06-2010, 12:40
Welcome to AoS Pete,

Some nice kit there. Do you use a Thorens TD104 MkII, or was that a misprint for TD124 Mk II? If the latter, then you are doubly welcome - this place is full of Technics owners!

You can have my vol-au-vents if you like, just leave me the vegetable samosas.

Regards from a Thorens and Quad aficionado

DSJR
24-06-2010, 13:17
Welcome Pete.

The Karik always came with a DAC built in, suitably crippled for absolute performance so the Numerik would always outperform it - IMO..

Linn went through all sorts of changes with every production batch in the mid 90's (I saw the evidence for myself from fresh stock from The Audio File) but by the time I returned "to the fold" in 1998, Linn had settled down and the KarikIII/Numerik III were sounding really good indeed. I liked them with a Roxburgh filter on each unit's mains feed (more 3-D and clearer) -

http://uk.farnell.com/roxburgh/pmf6/filter-in-line-6a/dp/1101097?Ntt=RoxburghIN-LINE

Adding these clearly and definitely lifts the performance way above the Ikemi, which was seen by some as the second coming (more ambience but all in a flat plane between the speakers IMO)

Anyway - wot geer u got in yer loft gov??????????

Haselsh1
24-06-2010, 18:47
Mines a pint of Timothy Taylor's 'Landlord' at the White Swan in Pickering, North Yorkshire. Make that two please...

Pete The Cat
24-06-2010, 19:28
Hello Pete,
...old equipment........music and hi-fi magazines from the late 70s...
You are my man
Welcome to AOS :)

Regards,

Cheers Retro,

The loft has some Sansui in it as well, a D55M cassette deck and T55M tuner but those two are from around 1982 (black finish). Up there is also my chrome / brushed aluminium fronted baby, a ‘79 Rotel RA314, with those all-important VU meters and some filters which never made the slightest difference to the sound :stalks: That replaced my '77 Bryan 9000 integrated which rocked a whole 15 wpc - Sugden style wooden body, the plate on the back says the company was from Hale in Cheshire but I haven’t heard of them since then.

Those all gave way to my first Quads. I still think the 405 is a British icon up there with the Mini and the red telephone box. I have a second system which currently has two 405-2s and Great Aunt 33 just for fun. I can identify with people who get as much enjoyment from a seventh hand Mercedes with 200,000 on the clock as a brand new one from today’s range…

Pete

Pete The Cat
24-06-2010, 19:34
Welcome to AoS Pete,

Some nice kit there. Do you use a Thorens TD104 MkII, or was that a misprint for TD124 Mk II? If the latter, then you are doubly welcome - this place is full of Technics owners!

You can have my vol-au-vents if you like, just leave me the vegetable samosas.

Regards from a Thorens and Quad aficionado

Hi Barry,

It really is a 104. I think that was Thorens' stab at competing with the Dual of the time. I never upgraded because 99% of my playing time is CD which is a shame given all those Saturdays spent sniffing out bootlegs at record fairs...

Pete

Pete The Cat
24-06-2010, 19:52
Welcome Pete.

The Karik always came with a DAC built in, suitably crippled for absolute performance so the Numerik would always outperform it - IMO..

Linn went through all sorts of changes with every production batch in the mid 90's (I saw the evidence for myself from fresh stock from The Audio File) but by the time I returned "to the fold" in 1998, Linn had settled down and the KarikIII/Numerik III were sounding really good indeed. I liked them with a Roxburgh filter on each unit's mains feed (more 3-D and clearer) -

http://uk.farnell.com/roxburgh/pmf6/filter-in-line-6a/dp/1101097?Ntt=RoxburghIN-LINE

Adding these clearly and definitely lifts the performance way above the Ikemi, which was seen by some as the second coming (more ambience but all in a flat plane between the speakers IMO)

Anyway - wot geer u got in yer loft gov??????????

Mmm...that's got me interested.

As well as the '70s bits mentioned above the loft also has my grey 34 and 405-2, Exposure VI, VII & VIII (biscuit tin versions) and Yamaha KX580. Throw in about 15 years of Sounds, 20 years of NME and a wasps nest and that's all really.

Clearly I find it hard to part with stuff, I'm under "encouragement" to thin it all out :rolleyes:

Pete

DSJR
24-06-2010, 20:14
Clearly I find it hard to part with stuff, I'm under "encouragement" to thin it all out :rolleyes:

Pete

I know where you are guv'nor..

aquapiranha
25-06-2010, 21:13
Hello Pete, nice to meet you!

Steve