PDA

View Full Version : Audiomod micrometer tonearm on the technics

Citation16
23-06-2010, 10:52
I never realised a tonearm can make such a difference in a turntable, its a whole new sound.

Many of you have some serious and/or interesting tonearms ( Jelco, SME, Ittok, Triplanar, to name only a few);
now I realise that the tonearm really really changes the whole sonic landscape...

I have limited experience with tonearms, so my comments apply only to the comparing it to my Rega RB250 with cardas wire, Michel weight and collar.

So I set up the audiomod arm on my modified technics with the KAB power supply, the Mike New bearing and platter, 2 extra copper platters, etc...
Audiomods also made a custom 20 mm armplate, level with the plinth, because of the added platter height.

I still have to tweak the cart alignment, the VTA and the anti skating, but its already a winner of a tonearm - a beauty to behold, sonically and visually.

Its an amazing arm; the fit and finish is remarkably astounding.

http://www.audiomods.co.uk/

Already the bass was outstanding with the modified Rega with also the side weights - but the audiomod has more bass. Now, the bass is much deeper, cleaner, incisive and articulate.

Their is much more air and sound stage and much more depth of field and also more ''in the room'' effect, as instruments are much more 3 dimensional and palpable.

The sound is more organic, insofar as you simply hear & feel much more about the instruments and the voices.

The range is expanded as the bass is deeper and cleaner and the highs clearer and more detailed.
The sound seems louder than before at the same volume setting.

The sound has much more texture, nuances, colours and decay...as if someone removed a cloth vail between the listener and the speakers.

Their seems to be more instruments and /or more of everything going on with the music, as if one has walked up to the stage and can hear more and better.

The timbre of things has changed also, more layered and textured...

I wonder if the sound will evolve as the tonearm is used and the silver wiring of the tonearm with morph into still a still cleaner and more intricate sound,
just like some AC cables that need burning in ?

I also like the adjustable micrometer VTA, as some Rega or modified newer Rega based arms have to use shims to adjust the VTA.
The audiomod arm with no VTA can also easily adjust the VTA.

Makes you want to hear more about other peoples experience with different arms,

But I am very happy with the audiomod arm and expect to develop a long term relationship with it.

Alex_UK
23-06-2010, 19:02
Looks amazing, and glad to hear it sounds great.

chris@panteg
24-06-2010, 09:43
Looks stunning, quite a turntable set up you have now.

Citation16
24-06-2010, 15:43
Thanks Chris -

The only thing is, I do not know what other mod to do for the turntable for now, (except later a custom plinth)

Guess I will have to simply play some records.

Yves

Mike_New
24-06-2010, 23:28
Yves,
Do AudioMods supply an adapter plate for the SL1200 The reason I ask is that I have been asked by a few people if I can supply them. I made mine for the OL modified Rega250 from 6mm copper plate and polished it. But there is not much sense in offering a product in this area if a quality one already exists.

Citation16
25-06-2010, 13:28
Yves,
Do AudioMods supply an adapter plate for the SL1200 The reason I ask is that I have been asked by a few people if I can supply them. I made mine for the OL modified Rega250 from 6mm copper plate and polished it. But there is not much sense in offering a product in this area if a quality one already exists.

Mike, Audiomod makes & supplies the adapter plate for the SL1200 for his tonearm.

http://www.audiomods.co.uk/technicsarm.html

as seen on Audiomods web site, they have a custom arm plate made for the technic sl1200 for his rega based arm.

You would have to write to Jeff at audiomods to see if his plate can be used with any rega based arm -

A possibly little know fact, is that Origin Live also has an adapter plate for REGA based arms for the technics sl1200 -

http://www.hi-fi-accessories-1.com/dj-armboard.htm

But audiomods could adapt or make anything for his arm, as he made my adapter plate 20 mm thick from one solid piece! Totally amazing !

People getting the REGA type tonearm adapter plate for the technics sl1200 will also need a spacer ring because the plate is not thick enough.

Audiomods does also supply the installation spacer ring.

With both of the audiomods two models of tonearm, the VTA can be easily adjusted, instead of VTA spacer rings with the 3 point newer Rega arm type.

Strosek
10-03-2011, 05:48
I'm interested in the same arm... thanks for the info.

Pete
10-03-2011, 13:51
Yves,

Great job! Later you might consider an upgrade to the power supply.
Paul Hynes sells high performance power supply modules and built up power supplies.

A few members here have the Paul Hynes SR5 or the DIY equivalent, and have reported improvements over the KAB

Cheers
Pete

thankyoumisterman
21-03-2011, 01:10
I have an Audiomods arm on order from Jeff Spall, and he is supplying a thicker mounting plate for my Technics table. Looking forward to setting a Zu Denon 103 in it! :)