PDA

View Full Version : Help re refoaming

farflungstar
28-01-2020, 12:48
So, I finally dragged my ANe's out of storage to compare to my tannoys and was immediately impressed by their performance in what is a difficult room for the tannoys. But, the foam surround on one of the drivers is falling apart, literally. Have ordered new foam surrounds from HiFi collective but I have never attempted a refoam and am a bit nervous. Does anyone have any tips?

Sent from my Aquaris X Pro using Tapatalk

Made in 1968
28-01-2020, 16:25
When refoaming, the most important thing is to keep that cone centralised.

farflungstar
28-01-2020, 20:44
There's a very good step by step guide with fotos for refoaming ANe's. In that method they don't remove the dustcap and suggest the coil will centre itself. I get the logic of removing the cap and putting in shims of card to keep the coil centred but hate the thought of removing the caps as they are hard and not soft types.

walpurgis
28-01-2020, 20:58
As only the foam surround is being replaced, the voicecoil will remain concentric to the magnet pole piece, so removing the dust cap and using shims is unnecessary.

I always use Aleene's Original Tacky Glue for these jobs and I've done many. The glue is water based and allows movement of bonded surfaces for a while, which is handy. I prefer it to the PVA adhesive often suggested.

Clean old surround residue off (it'll probably scrape off with a penknife) and bond the new surround to the cone first, applying adhesive with a small art brush. Once the glue is set, temporarily stick the outer surround edge to the speaker frame with four small blobs of BluTak and check that fore and aft movement of the cone is free and nothing rubs, then glue between the BluTak in four places, allow to dry, then remove the BluTak and finish glueing.

Made in 1968
28-01-2020, 21:01
PP3 battery

Mr.Ian
30-01-2020, 16:10
When I did my first recone I was nervous as hell, but actually its a lot easier than you think - the biggest challenge is finding a way to hold the 2 parts together whilst the glue sticks. I used Anita's tacky glue it was easier to buy in the UK. Most craft shops stock it & the Range. check the guidance and videos at

https://speakerrepairshop.nl/en/instructions/refoam-instruction-video/c-2

Made in 1968
30-01-2020, 19:27
Clothes pegs

Mr.Ian
30-01-2020, 19:44
Work on the outside of a large driver but inside edge and mids maybe not that great

farflungstar
31-01-2020, 20:34
Well, it's done. Ordered the kit with one day delivery. Replaced the first cone yesterday but have to say the pva glue is crap. It was okay for the outside but not the inner. So I used a contact adhesive as for bike inner tubes. It worked but is a little off in one small area but doesn't affect movement at all. So happy.

I then turned to the second, and after applying the contact adhesive turned to pick up the foam surround to find my 7 month old puppy eating it! So had to order again - 200€ in total due to 1 day deliveries. Arrived today. Followed same procedure - fine. Both are playing wonderfully - but had I known it was gonna cost me 200€ I would have just bought new drivers at 400€.

Made in 1968
31-01-2020, 20:38
What about that Gorilla PVA

Mr.Ian
31-01-2020, 22:03
I wired in some old speakers and used the 3 - 4 day service from holland - way cheaper