PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Decent Ethernet cable

Lawrence001
27-01-2020, 00:19
It seems that if I want to start streaming I need a better cable than the basic grey computer one I use. Has anyone got anything, or any recommendations?

Nothing crazy priced please just a decent upgrade like my chord USB cable that was about £25.

struth
27-01-2020, 00:27
Duronic Black Network Cable 5m CAT7 Specification FTP Ethernet Gigabit LAN Network Cable (RJ45) Gold Headed Shielded Cable - High Speed 600MHz Premium Quality Cat7 | Patch | Ethernet | Modem | Router https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018KH7O4E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_A5IlEbYBPVSPP

Made in 1968
27-01-2020, 06:14
Using Chord C Series stuff, you can get them used on flea bay

https://www.chord.co.uk/product-category/ranges/c-series/

Lawrence001
27-01-2020, 06:53
Using Chord C Series stuff, you can get them used on flea bay

https://www.chord.co.uk/product-category/ranges/c-series/Cheers that's the same as my USB but I can't see am Ethernet cable in the link. I'll look on eBay anyway.

Lawrence001
27-01-2020, 06:55
Duronic Black Network Cable 5m CAT7 Specification FTP Ethernet Gigabit LAN Network Cable (RJ45) Gold Headed Shielded Cable - High Speed 600MHz Premium Quality Cat7 | Patch | Ethernet | Modem | Router https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018KH7O4E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_A5IlEbYBPVSPPCheers Grant that's my sort of price [emoji16]

Now I need to think what length I need, I hadn't thought of that. I imagine the shorter the better...

struth
27-01-2020, 09:15
Within reason length isn't important.

Magic
27-01-2020, 12:53
It looks like 2m or 3m both cost only a fiver. I'd always have the extra for free!

SLS
27-01-2020, 17:00
You are better off with CAT 6a for audio. Blue Jeans Cable, arrives in a few days, uses Belden bonded pair conductors and the connections are properly tested with a test report. Three cables cost me just under $50 delivered.
http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/store/data-cables/index.htm

Lawrence001
27-01-2020, 17:20
It looks like 2m or 3m both cost only a fiver. I'd always have the extra for free!

On the assumption that cables generally have a deleterious effect, and we are trying to minimise that by paying more for a better one, doesn't it also follow that shorter is better?

Lawrence001
27-01-2020, 17:21
You are better off with CAT 6a for audio. Blue Jeans Cable, arrives in a few days, uses Belden bonded pair conductors and the connections are properly tested with a test report. Three cables cost me just under $50 delivered.
http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/store/data-cables/index.htm

I like the look of those but are they screened like Grant's?

Magic
27-01-2020, 17:34
I think the 1m difference would be negligible in terms of sound quality. The naysayers would have you believe that all cable is equal, but there is a clearly audible improvement going from 4m of cheap grey basic stuff & Chord. I bought the latter 2nd hand so saved a bit. I'm going to try 3m of the stuff Grant recommends as for a fiver at worst it's going to stream video on iplayer et al. If it's a good as the Chord, then it'll supplant it.

Stryder5
27-01-2020, 17:42
I like the look of those but are they screened like Grant's?

Cat 7 requires 2 levels of screening IIRC Cat 6 doesn’t.

Whether one cable sounds better than another is always contentious!

Gary

Patrick Dixon
27-01-2020, 19:05
On the assumption that cables generally have a deleterious effect, and we are trying to minimise that by paying more for a better one, doesn't it also follow that shorter is better?

When you are talking about 'digital' rather than 'analogue', there is only good enough and not good enough. The point about 'digital' is that you can have a large amount of noise and distortion and still recover a perfect digital signal.

Your Ethernet cable will carry packets of data and providing the packets get through that's all there is too it. A digital audio (S/PDIF) cable to or from a DAC or ADC is a different matter though, because in that case you also carry the timing element of the PCM audio signal which is important when you convert between the analogue and digital domains.

I'm not going to say any more on the matter; if you disagree that's fine (but you are scientifically wrong). You simply don't need to spend any more than basic money on an Ethernet cable and the length is not important so long as you keep within the Ethernet spec. I'd advise that you buy a cable that is long enough to stretch between the equipment that you want to connect, and not so long that you trip over it.

struth
27-01-2020, 19:12
I usually go for well constructed cable with good terminations. The grey ones are or can be dubious imo. But spending silly money on any cable isn't imo needed, but if you want to why not.

Made in 1968
27-01-2020, 19:18
Cheers that's the same as my USB but I can't see am Ethernet cable in the link. I'll look on eBay anyway.

Thats the Ethernet

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=chord+c+stream+etenet&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

NRG
27-01-2020, 21:24
I usually go for well constructed cable with good terminations. The grey ones are or can be dubious imo. But spending silly money on any cable isn't imo needed, but if you want to why not.

This. Not all Ethernet cables are equal, some so called cat 5e cables are nothing of the sort, they simply don’t meet spec. They will cause packet loss, retransmission and poor throughput, if going from one of these cables to a CAT5e that meets spec. will bring better throughput and better more consistent connectivity. I’ll not mention audible improvements ;) I’d also be wary of using shielded cable as it can introduce grounding issues depending on what you are connecting together. Cat6a is not automatically better to use than Cat5e, in fact there is a valid argument that as CAT5e has lower bandwidth it attenuates RF better.

Made in 1968
27-01-2020, 22:19
Thats a dirty magazine in your Avatar Neal :D

NRG
27-01-2020, 22:36
Thats a dirty magazine in your Avatar Neal :D

It’s a cheeky one for sure :D

I should add that Ethernet has no ability to re transmit packets, if they are corrupt they get dropped...a lot of network comms simply don’t need retransmission, it’s not necessary IE VoIP, packets would arrive out of order and put data in the wrong sequence. If retransmission is required TCP has that ability but that’s at a higher level. Maybe this is what people are hearing moving from out of spec CAT5e cables that are causing dropped packets to cables that don’t cause packet loss

Made in 1968
27-01-2020, 22:51
I had those mags but did not like them..

Only had time for the two mainstream mags being: late 60's/70's Hi-Fi Sounds & the '70's/80's Hi-Fi Answers

Discopants
27-01-2020, 23:02
Im also using chord c stream and getting very good SQ, although I think I could benefit a little from a better one just running from my switch to apple TV or my streaming integrated amp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lawrence001
27-01-2020, 23:56
Thats the Ethernet

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=chord+c+stream+etenet&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8Cheers bit more than I wanted to pay but if I see one second hand I'll grab it.

Lawrence001
27-01-2020, 23:59
Duronic Black Network Cable 5m CAT7 Specification FTP Ethernet Gigabit LAN Network Cable (RJ45) Gold Headed Shielded Cable - High Speed 600MHz Premium Quality Cat7 | Patch | Ethernet | Modem | Router https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018KH7O4E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_A5IlEbYBPVSPPFound it a bit cheaper on eBay so I got a 1.5m and a 3m.

However I did see a few nice Haydn quartets played by the Saloman Quartet on Hyperion while I was browsing Amazon so it was worth looking anyway [emoji16]

Made in 1968
28-01-2020, 05:50
Cheers bit more than I wanted to pay but if I see one second hand I'll grab it.

ofc i wouldnt be seen dead paying that for an ethernet cable..

CageyH
28-01-2020, 06:39
The Meicord Opal is supposed to be pretty good. I have never tried one though.

Lawrence001
28-01-2020, 07:54
ofc i wouldnt be seen dead paying that for an ethernet cable..I thought you said that's the one you use, you're crazy you are [emoji38]

martinswimmer
28-01-2020, 15:51
When you are talking about 'digital' rather than 'analogue', there is only good enough and not good enough. The point about 'digital' is that you can have a large amount of noise and distortion and still recover a perfect digital signal.

Your Ethernet cable will carry packets of data and providing the packets get through that's all there is too it. A digital audio (S/PDIF) cable to or from a DAC or ADC is a different matter though, because in that case you also carry the timing element of the PCM audio signal which is important when you convert between the analogue and digital domains.

I'm not going to say any more on the matter; if you disagree that's fine (but you are scientifically wrong). You simply don't need to spend any more than basic money on an Ethernet cable and the length is not important so long as you keep within the Ethernet spec. I'd advise that you buy a cable that is long enough to stretch between the equipment that you want to connect, and not so long that you trip over it.

This!

Made in 1968
28-01-2020, 16:46
Yes Lawrence but it was £15 off ebay

Lawrence001
28-01-2020, 17:17
Yes Lawrence but it was £15 off ebay
That's exactly what I'd pay, there's hope yet :)

Made in 1968
28-01-2020, 18:26
Hurt my feeling paying that.

Lawrence001
30-01-2020, 22:49
Just comparing the 1.5m and 3m cables and I'm sure the 1.5m cable sounds better!

I wish they had the 2m cable on eBay as that's just the right size for my main system, the 1.5m will do in my second system.

Made in 1968
31-01-2020, 00:38
Dunno only bought it to link the TV to the Modem..

Vince
31-01-2020, 01:19
The best pound per performance cable I've tried, and I've tried a few is Supra. They are soldered to the plugs, by hand and even have the workers name on a tag to tell you who did it. Myself and a couple of pals found it to be superior to the chord by quite a margin. I had a length of a quite expensive Ethernet cable and the Supra was better. More musical, times better, etc. It's quite cheap for level of performance it gives you.
I've put my money where my mouth is and every Ethernet connection is now Supra.
Try it, I think you'll like it.
Cheers

NRG
31-01-2020, 09:54
Soldered? Unlikely the data pairs are, it’s not possible on the RJ45 Supra use unless they mean the shield drain wire. The RJ45s used are crimped.

Snoopdog
31-01-2020, 10:07
I use a MeiCord Opal ethernet cable between my router and Melco N1ZH60.2 or dCS Vivaldi Upsampler, if I'm streaming Tidal HiFi or listening to internet radio stations!

If I'm watching TV, then I plug it into my LG OLED, so I get multiple use from the one cable!

The sound quality is better than a couple of other generic CAT6/7 ethernet cables I have tried, and picture quality is also improved when watching channels streamed from the imbedded TV apps!

Lawrence001
31-01-2020, 10:33
Just realised I've got to throw something else into the equation - the position of the Hifi and router mean that I'd need a 15m cable at least to route round the walls etc so I've been using Powerline adaptors. They weren't an issue when I was just using it to control which music I played off the HDD but I suspect it's not optimal for streaming.

There's not really any options to shorten to length. Drilling through the internal wall (which I'm not prepared to do) would cut it to about 8m if I routed along walls.

What is the general opinion on streaming through Powerline adaptors?

struth
31-01-2020, 10:38
I use a 10 metre Ethernet and its fine. I bought a longer one as well but not used it yet. No issue with that kind of length imo.

Made in 1968
31-01-2020, 12:10
Just realised I've got to throw something else into the equation - the position of the Hifi and router mean that I'd need a 15m cable at least to route round the walls etc so I've been using Powerline adaptors. They weren't an issue when I was just using it to control which music I played off the HDD but I suspect it's not optimal for streaming.

There's not really any options to shorten to length. Drilling through the internal wall (which I'm not prepared to do) would cut it to about 8m if I routed along walls.

One thing i wish i had done before re plastering the walls is laid Ethernet all the way around the place with flush wall sockets.

Putting my Router under the TV with short Ethernet was a great improvement over Wi-Fi but using a better cable was a even better inprovement. Im still however having to use Wi-Fi for the tablets & laptops which is shit & im just glad i don't stream music to the system.

Lawrence001
31-01-2020, 14:30
One thing i wish i had done before re plastering the walls is laid Ethernet all the way around the place with flush wall sockets.

Putting my Router under the TV with short Ethernet was a great improvement over Wi-Fi but using a better cable was a even better inprovement. Im still however having to use Wi-Fi for the tablets & laptops which is shit & im just glad i don't stream music to the system.I thought/assumed Powerline adaptors were higher bandwidth than WiFi or am I wrong?

Made in 1968
31-01-2020, 14:34
Tried em but had trouble so never bothered after that..I don't need a connection for the PC i use for files as everything i listen to is taken from my CD's.. I just use a laptop & the wife a Tablet for browsing internet, Forums etc but can slow down at times. Im sure i can put up with that.. I would never ever dream of streaming music from the internet tho..

Patrick Dixon
31-01-2020, 18:42

Use a cable if you can. The maximum length for cat5 cable is 100m so providing you are not in Buckingham Palace you should be just fine.

Discopants
08-02-2020, 01:46
Running through powerline is really easy and neat but I think you can suffer from poorer SQ because of it. I did try to compare the system through powerline vs 15m of shielded cable straight out of the router and SQ was indistinguishable on my system at the time.

Maybe the shielding also did not help, it wasnt designed for audio. I have also improved my system much since that early trial.

What I have discovered recently is that when I used an audio network switch called an etherRegen, I achieved a very marked improvement in SQ and I think some of that delta is because of the powerline ethernet.

There is much more to ethernet SQ than conventional wisdom dictates for sure.

You may benefit from putting a switch near to the hifi and then feeding a short cable to the system. There are some good threads on computer audio forums on shunting the power supply to ground on relatively normal ethernet switches like netgear and getting a good jump in SQ.

Typically wired is better than wireless but that could also be subject to the system so try that too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lawrence001
08-02-2020, 09:48
At the moment my Zen is only playing Tidal MP3 for some reason which may explain why it sounds as good to me [emoji23]