PDA

View Full Version : Please allow me to introduce myself...

GippleDocks
24-01-2020, 14:26
GippleDocks here!

I've been buying records since the mid 70's: rock, pop, reggae, soul, jazz, classical; good, bad and ugly pressings; new and secondhand. I've had my own hifi since the early 80's.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that marriage, mortgage and parenthood all but put a halt to record buying. But the hifi was ever present and ever in use. With a few planned upgrades and distress purchases down the years I find myself with a PT1 deck - Syrinx LE1 arm - Goldring Elite cartridge - Graham Slee Accession C - Mesa Boogie Baron power amp - Tannoy Stirling loudspeakers. Oh nearly forgot, for the digits there's an Arcam FMJ CD23T and an Audiolab M-DAC too.

My next project will be to digitise my late father's 78s, unplayed since the '70s... when I get around to it. Yes it'll need some more kit!

Stryder5
24-01-2020, 16:45
GippleDocks here!

I've been buying records since the mid 70's: rock, pop, reggae, soul, jazz, classical; good, bad and ugly pressings; new and secondhand. I've had my own hifi since the early 80's.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that marriage, mortgage and parenthood all but put a halt to record buying. But the hifi was ever present and ever in use. With a few planned upgrades and distress purchases down the years I find myself with a PT1 deck - Syrinx LE1 arm - Goldring Elite cartridge - Graham Slee Accession C - Mesa Boogie Baron power amp - Tannoy Stirling loudspeakers. Oh nearly forgot, for the digits there's an Arcam FMJ CD23T and an Audiolab M-DAC too.

My next project will be to digitise my late father's 78s, unplayed since the '70s... when I get around to it. Yes it'll need some more kit!

Hi and welcome,

You will have some fun (?) digitising those 78's, will be great to play though!

Gary

walpurgis
25-01-2020, 16:18
Hello Richard. Welcome to AOS.

There's plenty going on here, so just join in and get to know the members.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

southall-1998_mk2
25-01-2020, 23:51
Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.

Alex_UK
26-01-2020, 09:01
Hi, and welcome to the forum. AoS is a friendly and knowledgeable place, hope you enjoy it. :)

SteveH1960
26-01-2020, 09:03
Hi GippleDocks,

How do you find the Baron? Having only ever used Boogie guitar amps I’m intrigued by this audio power amp.

Regards
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GippleDocks
27-01-2020, 11:41
I got the Baron secondhand from Emporium in Diss, if memory serves. I don't recall exactly when. It must be more than 15 years ago. By that criterion alone, it's a keeper!

It first drove Diesis Solitaire speakers, then Tannoy Arden and now Tannoy Sterling. To my ears it can be delicate and muscular as fits the music. It's happy with large and small scale, voices, rock, electronica, orchestral. It's never felt stressed. In all but the most exuberant use the power gauge needles barely lift off their end stops.

You probably know that it is configurable. After the first weekend I settled on zero feedback, two thirds triode, one third pentode. I've not had cause to fiddle since then. It's been no trouble. For me. it's easy to enjoy and easy to live with.

Yes it weighs a ton and chucks out a fair bit of heat but otherwise I can't fault it.

Regards
Richard

SteveH1960
03-02-2020, 08:34
Sounds a great piece of kit, could be one to look out for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barry
13-02-2020, 13:19
Welcome to AoS Richard,

"A man of wealth and taste" (obviously)! ;)

Enjoy the Forum
Barry