PDA

View Full Version : Garrard SP25 Mk IV Running slow

Jimbo
24-01-2020, 06:37
Anyone got any suggestions how i can improve the speed stability on my Gerrard SP25 mk IV. It appears to be running slow with piano notes sounding warbly.

Firebottle
24-01-2020, 08:16
Really good clean and relube?

Replacement idler wheel?

Beobloke
24-01-2020, 08:33
It sounds like a motor or idler issue as this deck has a synchronous AC motor, so speed can’t be adjusted.

As above, a good service should sort it out.

Jimbo
24-01-2020, 10:28
Thanks chaps, I will open it up at the weekend and give it a good clean and service. I feel the old oil may have gone a bit waxy and idler wheel maybe either worn or contaminated?

Made in 1968
24-01-2020, 21:04
Motor still wants oiling.. I would personally start with that.

Made in 1968
24-01-2020, 21:13
Forgot to mention the idler wheel, i used to use Armor Hall rubber restorer. These usually go a bit hard and get a shiney surface to the edge of the wheel & some decks can get a flat spot if left in speed for a long time hence rumble..

Jimbo
24-01-2020, 22:19
What would be the best chemical to remove the old oil/gunk and what oil is best for relubing?

Made in 1968
24-01-2020, 22:34
Dont use anything like 3 in 1 oil.. Something thin, maybe a bit of sewing machine oil in the motor. Before servicing the idler with rejuvenator i used to rub em over with Isopropyl Alchhol.. No different than cleaning over a hard Pinch roller..

mbic
25-01-2020, 07:44
To keep the idler sweet on my 401, I take the idler off, then using a new green scouring pad stretched out on a table gently clean the edge of the idler, rotating it as you go.
Using chemicals can harden the rubber, also, make sure that there aren’t any flats on the idler due to the turntable being left in the on position without the power on.

Jimbo
25-01-2020, 09:06
To keep the idler sweet on my 401, I take the idler off, then using a new green scouring pad stretched out on a table gently clean the edge of the idler, rotating it as you go.
Using chemicals can harden the rubber, also, make sure that there aren’t any flats on the idler due to the turntable being left in the on position without the power on.

Thanks for the advice Michael. I fear the idler wheel has been left engaged against the platter rim when the TT has been switched off and may have a flat spot so will have a go with a scourer.

Jimbo
25-01-2020, 09:07
Dont use anything like 3 in 1 oil.. Something thin, maybe a bit of sewing machine oil in the motor. Before servicing the idler with rejuvenator i used to rub em over with Isopropyl Alchhol.. No different than cleaning over a hard Pinch roller..

I have gallons of IPA so will use this to clean the mechanism and probably leave it with oil but just use a bit on the bearing.

Jimbo
25-01-2020, 09:08
I have also noticed the tonearm is a little stiff sometimes when I release the lift mechanism. It takes a few seconds before it actually decides to engage the stylus with the record!

Jimbo
25-01-2020, 17:03
Found another issue with the SP25. The tonearm cueing mechanism / lift is now not slowing down the arm, the damping seems to have stopped working.
Anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Jimbo
25-01-2020, 18:56
When I took the turntable off to re oil the bearing it looked mint underneath apart from a little dust, however one of the bearing thrust plates had a huge blob of what looked like Tar on it. This black sticky substance was smeared all round the washer and was very difficult to remove and was probably the main cause of the speed issues I was having.

So once all was cleaned I oiled the bearing and mechanism and cleaned idler wheel and rim of the turntable. to be honest the idler looked fine, no flat spots or issues.

Listening tonight and there has been a transformation to the sound. No rumble, no wow or flutter, no speed variation and there is now a flow to the music and timing that sounds absolutely correct. I will check the speed sometime to see how accurate it is but the sound has been elevated by some considerable margin. Treble is more airy and there is a solidity to the sound with perfect pitch on piano sustained notes. Bass is less muddy and vocals sound more lifelike.

Who would have thought a simple clean and little oil could make so much difference!:)

Made in 1968
25-01-2020, 19:54
Sound that thick shit is just hard grease that needed removing and fresh

brian2957
25-01-2020, 21:02
Well done mate , very nice reward for all your hard work :)

Made in 1968
25-01-2020, 21:07
When i bought this second JVC 'JL-A1' . It ran slow, the Auto return mechanism failed to worked properly, The arm lifted stopped travelling half way back, Was just a simple strip down, Motor oiled, Bearing oiled, New belt & all moving mechanical parts cleaned & regreased. Works perfect now. Shame its an ornament

Jimbo
25-01-2020, 21:13
Well done mate , very nice reward for all your hard work :)

Cheers Brian, it really has been worth it. Listening now and there is a definite improvement across the board.

I can hear more of the music now and less of the turntable!:lol:

Jimbo
12-02-2020, 20:37
So a few weeks on from the service / lubrication I have been listening to some familiar music and the extra amount of detail is astonishing. The acoustics of instruments in the soundstage now have a lot more information going on. I can here echoes in the recording venues that were previously not audible.

I am amazed at this increase in information and I can only put it down to the fact that with much more speed accuracy and way less vibration being transmitted from the bearing the stylus is retrieving more information and is therefore not adversely affected.